Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Asks 'Biased' Judge
to Grant Mistrial in Fraud Case
Nov 15, 2023 10:55 AM CST
Trump Asks 'Biased' Judge to Grant Mistrial in Fraud Case
Judge Arthur Engoron is unlikely to side with the former president
- Seven weeks into his civil fraud case, Donald Trump is seeking a mistrial. The former president, sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, the Trump Organization, and the company's top executives on Wednesday submitted a 30-page filing in Manhattan Supreme Court that argued the conduct of presiding Judge Arthur...
GOP Senators Say
Shocking Video Won't
Change Their Minds
Feb 11, 2021 6:47 AM CST
GOP Senators Say Shocking Video Won't Change Their Minds
'The result is preordained,' Cruz says
- After a second day of searing evidence in former President Trump's second impeachment trial—including previously unseen video footage showing how narrowly some lawmakers escaped the mob—most Republican lawmakers still seemed unwilling to vote to convict. GOP senators including Ted Cruz said that while the scenes of violence...
New Footage Shows Romney
Close Call During Riot
Feb 10, 2021 5:01 PM CST
New Footage Shows Romney Close Call During Riot
Eugene Goodman directed senator to safety
- Security footage aired at Donald Trump's second impeachment trial Wednesday shows that Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman was even more of a hero than previously known, impeachment manager Del. Stacey Plaskett said. The video shows Goodman encountering Sen. Mitt Romney and warning him to go the other way, the...
Impeachment Manager: Trump
Said Word 'Peaceful' Just Once
Feb 10, 2021 3:21 PM CST
Impeachment Manager: Trump Said Word 'Peaceful' Just Once
But said 'fight' or 'fighting' 20 times in Jan. 6 speech, per Rep. Madeline Dean
- After setting out their case against Donald Trump for inciting supporters in the months before the Capitol attack, House impeachment managers turned to the day of the attack itself. Impeachment manager Rep. Madeline Dean choked up as she recounted the terror of when rioters started banging on the House chamber...
Impeachment Manager Warns
'Graphic' Footage Will Be Shown
Feb 10, 2021 12:03 PM CST
Impeachment Manager Warns 'Graphic' Footage Will Be Shown
'It's a moment of truth for America,' Rep. Jamie Raskin says
- After Tuesday's 56-44 vote to proceed , Donald Trump's Senate trial resumed Wednesday, with House impeachment managers setting out their case against the former president. Lead impeachment manager Rep. Jamie Raskin warned that "graphic and disturbing" footage of Capitol violence would be shown, the
Trump Wasn't Pleased With
His 'Rambling' Lawyers: Report
Feb 10, 2021 6:55 AM CST
Trump Wasn't Pleased With His 'Rambling' Lawyers: Report
Senate Republicans say House impeachment managers presented their case more effectively
- After the first day of Donald Trump's second impeachment trial, his lawyers are getting bad reviews from Republicans—and the former president himself, according to Politico . Sources say Trump, who spent the day at Mar-a-Lago watching the Senate trial, was not impressed by the dry, technical arguments made by...
Big Lines From Day 1
of Impeachment Trial
Feb 9, 2021 5:53 PM CST
Big Lines From Day 1 of Impeachment Trial
'This cannot be the future of America'
- Donald Trump's second impeachment trial in the Senate started with graphic footage of the Jan. 6 Capitol attack before arguments on the constitutionality of the trial began. Trump's lawyers argue that it is unconstitutional to put a former president on trial, while the House impeachment managers say there...
Senate Votes That
Trump Trial Is Constitutional
Feb 9, 2021 5:22 PM CST
Senate Votes That Trump Trial Is Constitutional
6 Republicans sided with Democrats in 56-44 vote
- A day of debate on whether it is constitutional to put a former president on trial in the Senate succeeded in changing the mind of one senator. Donald Trump's second impeachment trial was declared constitutional in a 56-44 vote, with six Republican senators voting with the chamber's 50...
Biden on Trump's
Senate Trial: 'I Have a Job'
Feb 9, 2021 2:28 PM CST
Biden on Trump's Senate Trial: 'I Have a Job'
President won't be watching impeachment proceedings, he says
- President Biden is the first president to be in office while his predecessor is on trial in the Senate—but he won't be watching the proceedings. Before an Oval Office meeting with business leaders on his coronavirus relief plan Tuesday, Biden told reporters he would not be watching Donald...
As Trial Begins, Democrats
Show New Video of Riot
Feb 9, 2021 1:44 PM CST
As Trial Begins, Democrats Show New Video of Riot
'If that’s not an impeachable offense, then there's no such thing'
- Donald Trump's second impeachment trial kicked off in the Senate Tuesday—and while the day's main focus is to be technical arguments about the constitutionality of the trial, House impeachment managers started out with a 13-minute video of the Capitol attack. The dramatic footage from less than five...
Reach 'Eminently Fair'
Deal on Trump Trial
Feb 8, 2021 5:33 PM CST
McConnell, Schumer Reach 'Eminently Fair' Deal on Trump Trial
Vote on conviction could happen early next week
- The stage is set for Donald Trump's second impeachment trial. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have reached a deal on the timing and structure of the former president's trial, which begins Tuesday, the
reports. A bipartisan resolution, which can be...
Romney Faces Wrath
of Trump After Vote to Convict
Feb 6, 2020 6:58 AM CST
Romney Faces Wrath of Trump After Vote to Convict
Mitch McConnell says he is 'disappointed'
- The only senator from either party to break with their party in Wednesday's impeachment trial verdict was Sen. Mitt Romney, who incurred the wrath of more than one Donald Trump with his vote to convict the president of abuse of power. In one of several anti-Romney tweets , President Trump...
Trump Tweets About
Staying President Forever
Feb 6, 2020 6:09 AM CST
Trump Tweets About Staying President Forever
He plans to make statement on acquittal Thursday
- President Trump celebrated his acquittal in his impeachment trial Wednesday by suggesting that he could remain president for more than 90,000 years—long beyond the limits set by both the human lifespan and the US Constitution. Trump tweeted a video based on a
magazine cover from last year...
Collins Confirms She
Will Vote to Acquit Trump
Feb 5, 2020 3:16 AM CST
Collins Confirms She Will Vote to Acquit Trump
Mitt Romney is only remaining GOP question mark
- It is still technically possible for President Trump to be convicted and removed from office Wednesday—but bookies are giving better odds on Elvis Presley being found alive. Acquittal by a vote along party lines is widely expected when the Senate votes at 4pm, though there is still a "...
Trump Trial Could End at 3am
Jan 31, 2020 6:46 AM CST
Trump Trial Could End at 3am
Key Republican senator says he will vote against witnesses
- Democratic hopes of calling new witnesses in President Trump's impeachment trial took a massive hit late Thursday, when Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander declared that he didn't need to hear any more evidence. The Tennessee lawmaker said after Thursday's question-and-answer period that Democrats had proven that the president...
Trump: 'This Is a Happy Period'
Jan 31, 2020 3:47 AM CST
Trump: 'This Is a Happy Period'
'We call this impeachment light'
- This is a "happy period" for Republicans because "we call this impeachment light," President Trump told an enthusiastic crowd at a rally in Iowa Thursday night, declaring that America is going through a golden age despite "deranged" congressional Democrats. "We're having probably the best...
3 Republicans Asked
Own Side Tough Questions
Jan 30, 2020 7:00 AM CST
3 Republicans Asked Own Side Tough Questions
Both sides used Romney analogies
- The first day of the Q&A portion of President Trump's impeachment trial lasted approximately 10 hours Wednesday—and the more than 90 questions read aloud by Chief Justice John Roberts included one asked by both Republicans and Democrats. Republican Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski asked whether Trump...
3 Democratic Senators Could
Be Leaning Toward Acquittal
Jan 29, 2020 8:27 AM CST
3 Democratic Senators Could Be Leaning Toward Acquittal
Republicans hope to wrap trial up Friday
- President Trump's defense rested its case in his impeachment trial Tuesday, with White House lawyers urging senators to vote to acquit—and at least three Democrats may end up joining Republicans in doing so. Politico reports that Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, and Doug...
Trump Lawyers Target
Jan 28, 2020 8:07 AM CST
Trump Lawyers Target Obama, Biden
They argue that the Obama administration was the one that abused power
- Much of the second day of President Trump's impeachment defense focused not on the president's actions, but on the previous administration. In what Politico calls "an alternate-reality impeachment of his political rivals," Trump lawyers Pam Bondi and Eric Herschmann argued that former President Obama and Joe...
'Explosive' Claims From
New Bolton Book Leaked
Jan 27, 2020 6:37 AM CST
'Explosive' Claims From New Bolton Book Leaked
He says Trump told him Ukraine military aid was linked to investigation of Bidens
- Excerpts from a new book by former national security adviser John Bolton have been leaked—and they may undercut President Trump's defense in his impeachment trial. In
The Room Where It Happened,
Bolton says Trump told him in August that he wanted to freeze military aid to Ukraine until...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.