Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What to Expect in
Jan 20, 2021 2:40 AM CST
What to Expect in 'Most Important Inaugural Speech Since Lincoln'
Themes will be unity, recovery at noon, aides say
- Joe Biden becomes president on Wednesday, and Sen. Chris Coons, one of his close allies, says the speech he gives on the occasion will be "the most important inaugural speech since Lincoln." Biden has the daunting task of attempting to unite the country after a divisive election and...
Biden Honors COVID Victims
in Sunset DC Ceremony
Jan 19, 2021 8:08 PM CST
Biden Honors COVID Victims in Sunset DC Ceremony
Earlier Tuesday, he said an emotional farewell to Delaware
- Joe Biden said an emotional farewell to his Delaware hometown Tuesday before departing for Washington, DC. When he next visits Wilmington, he will be President Biden. The president-elect spoke at a National Guard center named after son Beau Biden, who died from brain cancer in 2015, the
Biden's Pick for Big
HHS Role a Historic First
Jan 19, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Biden's Pick for Big HHS Role a Historic First
Rachel Levine may be first openly transgender federal official to get confirmed by Senate
- Xavier Becerra has a new No. 2 at Health and Human Services. The AP reports that President-elect Joe Biden has picked Dr. Rachel Levine, Pennsylvania's current health secretary, to serve as his assistant health secretary under Becerra, who has been nominated by Biden to be the nation's top...
Biden's To-Do List for First
Day Just Got a New Addition
Jan 18, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Biden's To-Do List for First Day Just Got a New Addition
Sources say he'll yank the Keystone XL permit via executive action as soon as he takes office
- On Saturday, a memo from incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain to senior staff laid out dozens of executive orders that President-elect Biden is expected to sign within the first few days of his term. Not listed among them, per Politico : a plan to pull the permit for...
In the Name of Science,
Biden to Bring a Big WH First
Jan 16, 2021 9:00 AM CST
In the Name of Science, Biden to Bring a Big WH First
Eric Lander will be Joe Biden's science adviser, and it'll be a Cabinet-level position
- President-elect Joe Biden says "science will always be at the forefront of my administration," and he's elevating the post of science adviser to Cabinet level, a White House first. Biden, who planned to introduce his team Saturday, said the scientists "will ensure everything we do is...
Plans Firming Up
Jan 15, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Trump's Inauguration Day Plans Firming Up
2 reports say he will fly to Mar-a-Lago hours before Joe Biden is sworn in
- President Trump has said he won't attend Joe Biden's inauguration, though he hasn't revealed where he will be instead. Now multiple reports say Trump plans to fly to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida before Biden is sworn in. Bloomberg says the president will fly out sometime in...
to Run Pentagon,
Jan 14, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Biden Asks Trump Holdover to Run Pentagon, Temporarily
David Norquist will run Pentagon until Biden pick Lloyd Austin is confirmed
- The history books will reflect that Joe Biden's very first defense secretary was an appointee of Donald Trump. But David Norquist will not be in the role very long. Politico reports that Biden will ask Norquist, who currently serves as deputy secretary of defense, to run the Pentagon until...
Trump Made 'Misguided'
Space Command Call: Governor
Jan 14, 2021 7:14 AM CST
Trump Made 'Misguided' Space Command Call: Governor
Colorado's Jared Polis says HQ is being moved as a Trump reward to Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville
- Tommy Tuberville, Alabama's newest GOP senator, may have just seen a big nod from President Trump, at least according to Colorado Gov. Jared Polis. The Democratic governor and other leaders from both parties in his state are slamming a decision to relocate Space Command headquarters from its temporary digs...
Kim Jong Un Slams
N. Korea's 'Biggest Enemy'
Jan 9, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Kim Jong Un Slams N. Korea's 'Biggest Enemy'
Spoiler alert: That would be the United States
- President-elect Biden is on the brink of moving into the White House, but as far as Kim Jong Un is concerned, that doesn't change how he views the United States. In fact, per North Korean state media, Kim says the US remains his nation's "biggest enemy" and...
Biden Announces Big Shift
in US Vaccine Strategy
Jan 8, 2021 11:35 AM CST
Biden Announces Big Shift in US Vaccine Strategy
He plans to release nearly all doses immediately, instead of holding supplies back for 2nd shot
- Joe Biden on Friday announced a big and controversial shift in strategy on coronavirus vaccines. When he takes office, Biden will order the immediate release of almost all available doses, reports CNN . Under the current strategy, about half the doses are being held back so people already vaccinated can receive...
Trump: I'm Skipping
Jan 8, 2021 10:06 AM CST
Trump: I'm Skipping the Inauguration
President says he won't attend the swearing-in of Joe Biden
- Joe Biden's inauguration won't have one notable guest in attendance: President Trump on Friday tweeted that he will skip it. "To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th," he wrote. Trump did not disclose where he...
Rhode Island Governor
Joining Biden's Cabinet
Jan 7, 2021 2:40 PM CST
Rhode Island Governor Joining Biden's Cabinet
It's Gina Raimondo for Commerce, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh for Labor
- The Biden Cabinet is filling out, even as the Trump Cabinet is shrinking . The president-elect on Thursday announced two more key picks:
Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo gets the nod. She was a former venture capitalist before entering politics, and Politico reports that she was a top-tier candidate for
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Dec 29, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Fauci, WHO Issue 2 Bleak Warnings
Fauci fears January will be worse than December; WHO says COVID may not be 'the big one'
- Anthony Fauci delivered some not-so-comforting words Tuesday on the state of COVID in the US, telling CNN that the current surge "has just gotten ... out of control in many respects." While December has been record-setting in terms of deaths, Fauci said he feared January will be worse, in...
Dominion Staffer Sues Trump
Campaign: I Want My Life Back
Dec 23, 2020 8:33 AM CST
Dominion Staffer Sues Trump Campaign: I Want My Life Back
Eric Coomer says he's had to go into hiding due to conspiracy theories about election 'rigging'
- A high-ranking employee for a company that provided election equipment and software in 28 states has been subjected to harassment and death threats so alarming that he was forced to go into hiding a week after the election. Now, Eric Coomer says he wants his life back, and he's...
Education Pick Is Former
Dec 22, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Education Pick Is Former Public-School Teacher
Connecticut's Miguel Cardona will get the Cabinet position
- President-elect Biden has chosen Miguel Cardona, the education commissioner for Connecticut and a former public-school teacher, to serve as education secretary, per the AP . Cardona was appointed to the top education post in Connecticut just months before the COVID-19 pandemic broke out in March. When schools moved to remote learning,...
Biden Calls Once-Close
Graham a 'Disappointment'
Dec 18, 2020 9:39 AM CST
Biden Calls Once-Close Graham a 'Disappointment'
President-elect says the senator used to be a personal friend
- Joe Biden and Lindsey Graham served in the Senate together and used to speak glowingly of one another despite being on opposite sides of the aisle. But in a sign of how much their relationship has frayed in recent years, the president-elect told Stephen Colbert Thursday night that "Lindsey'...
Biden Aide: I Chose Wrong
Word About Republicans
Dec 17, 2020 4:08 PM CST
Biden Aide: I Chose Wrong Word About Republicans
Jen O'Malley Dillon caught flak for her description of GOP members of Congress
- Joe Biden's incoming chief of staff is tamping down a controversy of her own making. On Thursday, Jen O'Malley Dillon acknowledged that she "used some words that I probably could have chosen better" when describing Republicans in Congress, reports Politico . The word that caught people's attention...
Trump Reacts to McConnell's
Dose of Election Reality
Dec 16, 2020 6:31 AM CST
Trump Reacts to McConnell's Dose of Election Reality
'Too soon to give up': president implores Senate majority leader
- Mitch McConnell has spoken, recognizing Joe Biden Tuesday as the next president of the US, and the current president wasn't pleased with the Senate majority leader's concession—so much so that he addressed the subject after midnight on Tuesday. In a tweet accompanying a
Their Shots Now
Dec 15, 2020 2:48 PM CST
Fauci: These 2 Should Get Their Shots Now
Joe Biden and Kamala Harris
- Dr. Anthony Fauci thinks two people in particular should skip to the front of the line for a coronavirus vaccination: Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. "For security reasons, I really feel strongly that we should get them vaccinated as soon as we possibly can," he said on
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.