'Choking Game' Blamed in Teen's Bowflex Death

Parents think 16-year-old was playing game to get high
By Matthew ,  Newser User
Posted Sep 22, 2010 4:18 PM CDT Posted Sep 22, 2010 4:18 PM CDT
Promoted on Newser Sep 22, 2010 5:11 PM CDT
Teen Dies Playing 'Choking Game' On Bowflex
File photo. A teen football player's death has been blamed on the 'choking game.'   (AP)

(User Submitted) – A Sacramento-area high school football player who died while using a Bowflex machine was apparently playing a variation of what's known as the "choking game." The parents of 16-year-old Justin Butler told FOX40 News he likely died while attempting to play the game, which deprives an individual of oxygen for a short period of time so they can achieve a drug-like high. Authorities have ruled out suicide as the cause of death. The coroner has not confirmed what killed Butler.
(Read more Justin Butler stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X