Democrat Andrew Cuomo coasted past tea party Republican Carl Paladino after an exceedingly nasty race to win election as governor of New York, the job his father, Mario, held in the 1980s and '90s. On the other coast, Californians gave Jerry Brown another crack at the job he held 28 years ago. He defeated billionaire Meg Whitman, who spent $142 million of her own money. Other Democratic highlights below, and GOP highlights here.
- New Hampshire: Gov. John Lynch has overcome an anti-incumbent groundswell and defeated Republican John Stephen to win a historic fourth consecutive two-year term as governor.
- Arkansas: Gov. Mike Beebe has won a second term in Arkansas, defeating Jim Keet. Beebe has served as governor since 2007, and enjoyed high approval ratings throughout his first term.
- Maryland: Incumbent Gov. Martin O'Malley has won a second term in a rematch with Republican former Gov. Robert Ehrlich.
- Massachusetts: Deval Patrick bucked sentiment against his friend Barack Obama to win a second term, defeating Charles Baker.
- Colorado: Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper has won the governor's race after a campaign in which GOP nominee Dan Maes imploded and Tom Tancredo made a late surge.
(Read more Election 2010