Five Teens Found Dead in Hotel Room Accident

Carbon monoxide appears to be to blame
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 28, 2010 7:04 AM CST

(Newser) – Five teens were found dead in a Florida hotel room yesterday, after apparently accidentally poisoning themselves with carbon monoxide. Juchen Martial and his friends had rented the $62 motel room Sunday night to celebrate his birthday. But they left their car running, parked below their hotel room. The fumes from its exhaust drifted up and in through their slightly open door.

story continues below

The car, a borrowed red Kia Optima, was still running when the hotel maid found their bodies at 2pm yesterday. “They thought the car wouldn’t start. That’s the reason it happened,” one of their friends tells the Miami Herald. The friend had helped jump start their car earlier in the night, and says they had left it on to charge the battery. “It seems like this is a tragic accident,” a police spokesman said. (Read more Florida stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.