Rihanna got into hot water this week after she mocked a young fan on Twitter. Alexis Carter, 16, wore a Rihanna-inspired outfit to her recent prom; her picture went viral, and Twitter users started comparing her to a bat thanks to the outfit's "wing-like attachments." Carter was shocked when Rihanna jumped on the bandwagon. Ri-ri doesn't "love her fans like she says she does," Carter said—and Rihanna has angered another young fan on Twitter before. But she's far from the only celebrity to behave badly on social media:
- Um, this is rather tacky: Lil' Kim recently Instagrammed information on her baby registry, instructing fans where they can send any gifts they purchase ... gifts like a $7,899 pram, a $1,648 crib, or a bunch of pricey Tiffany jewelry.
- In 2012, Lady Gaga thought it would be a good idea to tweet using the hashtag #PopSingersDontEat—despite the fact that she's spoken out on the importance of healthy body image.
- Miley Cyrus got into a social media feud with Sinead O'Connor that seemed like it would never end after O'Connor called Miley out for being too raunchy. Among Miley's moves: comparing O'Connor to Amanda Bynes. O'Connor then accused Miley of "behaving like a prostitute and calling it feminism." (Oh, and then there were those butt photos Miley posted on Twitter last year...)
- Speaking of Miley, she was also wronged on Twitter—by Perez Hilton, who tweeted an upskirt photo of her when she was 17.
- Courtney Love has gone on so many Twitter rants, her own daughter thinks the microblogging service should ban her.
- Another celebrity who's had almost too many run-ins with Twitter to count: Alec Baldwin. Perhaps most notable was the time he went on a homophobic rant on the site, then vowed to leave public life, yet ended up still tweeting away.
- And nearly all of Amanda Bynes' breakdown was documented on Twitter: She used the site to announce her retirement, her un-retirement, and, well, then things got really weird. Among other things, she tweeted something very nasty about Drake, called Jay Z "ugly face," and went on a weird anti-Rihanna rant.
- Nicki Minaj called out her fellow American Idol judge Mariah Carey on Twitter, wondering "why a woman SO successful at her age, is still so INSECURE, and bitter." And in 2012, after feuding with a fan site via Twitter, she briefly quit the site.
Click for 3 more stars who should step away from Twitter
, including one who thinks it's funny to tweet out phone numbers. Or, for a nice change of pace, check out 5 stars you actually should follow on Twitter
. (Read more Twitter