We've apparently seen the last debate between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. In a statement Monday night, Clinton's camp turned down a final debate that Fox News wanted to host before California's June 7 primary. Clinton's team is "turning our attention to the threat a Donald Trump presidency poses," a communications director says, per the New York Times. "We believe that Hillary Clinton's time is best spent campaigning and meeting directly with voters across California and preparing for a general election campaign."
Fox News made a formal debate proposal last week, promoting the debate as a way to reach moderates, but Clinton's appearance was always "a stretch," reports CNN. The network notes that in February the two Democratic candidates agreed to add four debates to the slate, but only three have occurred. Both Sanders and Fox say they're "disappointed," reports CBS News. "I hope Secretary Clinton reconsiders her unfortunate decision to back away from her commitment to debate," says Sanders, adding Clinton should not be "so presumptuous about thinking that she is a certain winner." He didn't appear to be giving up the fight Monday at a rally in East Los Angeles where he complained about Clinton and Trump's links to donors with deep pockets. (Read more Hillary Clinton stories.)