Woman Dies After Kissing Boyfriend Who Ate Peanut Butter Sandwich

Now her mom is speaking out
By Michael Harthorne,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 9, 2016 3:48 PM CDT
Updated Jun 12, 2016 7:00 PM CDT
Woman Dies After Kissing Boyfriend Who Ate Peanut Butter Sandwich

Four years ago, 20-year-old Myriam Ducre-Lemay died after kissing her boyfriend who had just eaten a peanut butter sandwich, CTV News reports. Now her mother, Micheline Ducre, is speaking out to keep the same thing from happening to anyone else's kids. After getting home from a party, Myriam's boyfriend made toast with peanut butter, then kissed Myriam goodnight, according to CJAD. The Telegraph reports Myriam quickly had trouble breathing. Her asthma inhaler didn't help, and she had her boyfriend call 911. Paramedics arrived within minutes but were still too late; Myriam died at the hospital from a lack of oxygen to her brain. Ducre says her daughter had recently told her new boyfriend she loved him. "Sadly, she did not have the time to tell him she had a peanut allergy."

Ducre opened up about her daughter's death for the first time Wednesday to the Journal De Quebec. She wants young people to know how important it is to carry EpiPens and tell others about their allergies. Myriam wasn't wearing a Medical Alert bracelet and didn't have her EpiPen with her. "(This) is why you have to carry your EpiPen, even though you don't want to and even though it's not cool," Dr. Christine McCusker at the Montreal Children's Hospital tells CTV. Traces of allergens—from peanuts, for example—can linger in saliva for hours. "The most important part of managing your allergies is that you have to inform people," McCusker says. "You have to say, 'Listen guys, I have food allergies, I have my EpiPen. If there's a problem, help me.'" (A couple says their son's peanut allergy got them kicked off a plane.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.