X

Gator That Killed Boy at Disney Has Been Euthanized

Fla. officials 'confident' it is no longer a threat
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 23, 2016 2:39 AM CDT

(Newser) – The alligator that dragged 2-year-old Lane Graves to his death near a Disney resort in Florida last week is no longer at large, authorities say. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says it has completed its investigation into the attack and has suspended trapping in the area because it "is confident that the alligator responsible for the attack has been removed," NBC News reports. A total of six gators were removed from the Seven Seas Lagoon area after the June 14 death of the Nebraska toddler, reports the Los Angeles Times.

story continues below

The commission says two of the alligators trapped near where the attack took place were big enough to have killed the boy, whose funeral was held in Nebraska on Tuesday. "There are no words to describe the profound sadness we feel for the family of Lane Graves," FWC Director Nick Wiley said in a statement. "We will continue to keep this family close to our hearts as they deal with the pain and grief of the loss of Lane." (Experts say a "perfect storm" of circumstances led to the boy's death.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X