Florida may be the place to go for sunshine, but it's the place to escape if a hurricane hits. The state is home to a number of the US cities that are "vulnerable to the greatest damage" at the hands of a hurricane, reports 24/7 Wall St, which took into account data on past hurricanes, the number of homes at risk of damage, as well as estimated rebuilding costs when studying cities along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. The 10 metro areas with the potential to be hardest hit:
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, Fla.
- New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-Pa.
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla.
- New Orleans-Metairie, La.
- Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, Va.-NC
- Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas
- North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, Fla.
- Naples-Immokalee-Marco Island, Fla.
- Jacksonville, Fla.
Click for the full list
or see why this hurricane season could be especially dangerous
. (Read more hurricane