First, Taylor Swift blacked out her entire online presence. Then, on Monday, she returned to social media—but all she shared was a mysterious video of a snake. The internet is going nuts trying to figure out what she's up to:
- CNN speculates the snake video could be some sort of reference to the "Taylor Swift is a snake" meme beloved by her haters.
- Of course, the most obvious possibility is that Swift is building up hype for a new music release, and one of her collaborators, Joseph Kahn, seemed to confirm that possibility by retweeting her snake video along with a smiley face, Just Jared reports. Kahn has directed music videos for Swift including "Bad Blood" and "Wildest Dreams."
- Us points out that Swift's social media blackout took place exactly three years after she announced her most recent album, 1989. The gossip magazine previously reported she's been working on an album to be released in the fall.
- Music lyrics site Genius posted lyrics for a new song supposedly from Swift called "Timeless," but the page has since been taken down. Still, that hasn't stopped multiple outlets including Marie Claire from reporting that must be the name of her upcoming single and/or album. (And this might be the website for it.)
- The Ringer overanalyzes the snake snippet and offers up ideas for what it could be teasing, including an upcoming "peace summit" with (former?) rival Katy Perry.
- A number of outlets including USA Today are rounding up fan reactions to the snake video.
(Read more Taylor Swift