One Dead From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Iowa Church

The church was being heated by a gas-powered unit in an unvented basement
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Nov 6, 2017 5:05 PM CST
Carbon Monoxide Kills 1, Injures 14 in Iowa Church
   (Google Maps)

Authorities say one person died and 14 more were hospitalized after breathing carbon monoxide at their church in Iowa, where a gasoline-powered generator was running in the unvented basement to provide heat and lighting. The AP reports that medics and police officers found several people with headaches and breathing difficulties at about 2:45pm Sunday at the Church of God in Marshalltown. First responders helped churchgoers get treatment at a Marshalltown hospital. Eight of the victims later were taken to hospitals in Iowa City and Des Moines.

Marshalltown Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Cross couldn't provide the name of the deceased adult Monday. Cross said the building didn't have electric or gas service and lacked a city occupancy permit. A phone listed for the church rang busy during several calls Monday.

(More carbon monoxide stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.