- The Galapagos: The annual influx of tourists is making the island chain's "fragile marine and terrestrial ecosystems" vulnerable.
- The "places that don't want you to visit": Some locales, such as Venice and Peru's Machu Picchu, are simply overwhelmed and their resources strained by so many visitors; Fodor's says the people there need a brief "staycation" from the rest of the world.
- The Taj Mahal: The iconic landmark is going to be coated in mud for much of the year (a regimen meant to keep the structure from yellowing). That doesn't exactly make for great photos.
- Thailand's Phang Nga National Park: The "rush to paradise" has marred the park's coral reefs and disrupted its marine life. It desperately needs some recovery time.
- Myanmar: It's a matter of humanitarian conscience that puts this country on Fodor's list. The publisher doesn't think anyone should visit while the persecution and "ethnic cleansing" of the Muslim minority Rohingya continues there.
Check out the other no-go locales on Fodor's list
, then view the "coolest places"
to see in 2018. (Read more travel tips