In a bid to break the shutdown stalemate, President Donald Trump on Saturday offered to extend temporary protections for young people brought to the US illegally as children and those fleeing disaster zones in exchange or his long-promised border wall, the AP reports. But while Trump cast the move as a "common-sense compromise," Democrats were quick to dismiss it as a "non-starter." With polls showing a majority of Americans blaming him and Republicans for the impasse, Trump said from the White House that he was there "to break the logjam and provide Congress with a path forward to end the government shutdown and solve the crisis on the southern border." Hoping to put pressure on Democrats, the White House billed the announcement as a major step forward.
But Trump did not budge on his $5.7 billion demand for the wall and, in essence, offered to temporarily roll-back some of his own hawkish immigration actions—actions that have been blocked by federal courts. Following a week marked by his pointed clashes with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, it was not clear if Trump's offer would lead to serious steps to reopen the government, shut for a record 29 days. Trump's move came as hundreds of thousands of federal workers go without paychecks, with many enduring financial hardship. Democrats dismissed Trump's proposal even before his formal remarks. Pelosi said the expected offer was nothing more than "a compilation of several previously rejected initiatives" and that the effort could not pass the House. "What is original in the President's proposal is not good," she later tweeted
. "What is good in the proposal is not original."
(Read more President Trump