With the national debt pushing $22 trillion, why not sell off a state and ease the fiscal pain? So says a cheeky Change.org petition that suggests selling Montana to Canada for $1 trillion, the Huffington Post reports. "We have too much debt and Montana is useless," writes petition creator Ian Hammond. "Just tell them it has beavers or something." Boasting over 6,000 signatures as of this writing, the petition has sparked dozens of comments and a witty response from Kristen Inbody at the Great Falls Tribune. Among her concerns: "Would Montanans have to start saying 'sorry' constantly or would there be allowances made for us as former Americans?" and "Canadian football, really?" But she's up for universal health care and a little something to puff on: "Just, 'woo, legal marijuana!'" From the petition's comments section:
- "Sell Wyoming and Idaho too who cares about them."
- "How about California... All those Wildfires are causing debt, let the queen deal with it."
- "I'm signing this because I hope Minnesota is next."
- "Get the president to negotiate the terms. That way Canada gets Montana & The USA gets to pay Canada to take it."
- "I've been a resident of Montana my entire life, and quite frankly I'm sick of the US's complete and utter disregard for human life. I'll take Canadas [sic] health care, education, and freedom over the US's money grubbing system."
- A sweeter thought from KTVQ, on the petition's popularity: "We're guessing it's because most people already know that Montana is priceless."
(Read more petition