The Jussie Smollett legal case is over in Chicago. Prosecutors in Cook County on Tuesday dropped all charges against the actor accused of making up a story about being attacked, reports NBC Chicago. The Chicago Sun-Times describes the surprise move as being connected to a "deferred prosecution deal." The Empire star will forfeit the $10,000 he put up for bond, and the 16 charges against him get wiped out. The Chicago Tribune calls the move a "stunning reversal," and it remains unclear what led up to it. Smollett had previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.
“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said in statement. Smollett's legal team issued a statement saying his record has been "wiped clean" and reasserting his claim that the attack took place. "He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgment," says the statement. (Read more Jussie Smollett stories.)