A Collapsed 'Wet Floor' Sign, a Casino, and a $3M Fall

Employee had just walked past the warning without righting it before woman tripped over it
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jun 30, 2019 9:29 AM CDT
Collapsed 'Wet Floor' Sign Trips Customer, Costs Casino $3M
Jack Casino opened as Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati in 2013.   (AP Photo/Al Behrman)

A "Wet Floor" sign warning customers had been knocked over at Jack Casino in Cincinnati, and an employee stepped around it but didn't bother to stand the sign up. Moments later, Lynda Sadowski tripped over it, breaking a kneecap, the Enquirer reports. An Ohio jury has agreed that the casino was negligent and awarded Sadowski $3 million for her 2016 fall. The casino had unsuccessfully argued that though the sign was flat on the floor, it was still visible, and Sadowski, who her lawyer said has endured pain and surgery since the accident, just wasn't paying attention. "The Casino’s callous disregard for their customers’ safety was on full display throughout the trial," said the lawyer. (More casinos stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.