After it was confirmed Bernie Sanders had a heart attack last week, the Vermont senator and 2020 presidential candidate spoke to the press and suggested he'd be slowing his pace. "I think we're going to change the nature of the campaign a bit," Sanders said Tuesday, per the AP. "I'll make sure that I have the strength to do what I have to do." He added that that meant he likely wouldn't do "four rallies a day." Now, in a new interview that aired Wednesday on NBC Nightly News, Sanders is walking that back just a tad. "I misspoke the other day," he said, adding, "I said a word I should not have said and [the] media drives me a little bit nuts to make a big deal about it. We're going to get back into the groove of a very vigorous campaign; I love doing rallies and I love doing town meetings. I want to start off slower and build up and build up and build up."
Sanders also pushed back on accusations that his campaign tried to hide his heart attack, per Fox News. "That's nonsense. ... We're dealing with all kinds of doctors and we wanted to have a sense of what the hell was going on, really ... not run to the New York Times and not have to report every 15 minutes. This is not a baseball game. ... No apologies," he said, adding the stent procedure is one "hundreds of thousands of people a year have" and that "I'm healthy and we're going to run a vigorous campaign and we're going to win this thing." Sanders also said he'll make his medical records public, though he's not saying when. (Rough month for the Sanders family: His daughter-in-law died last week.)