For the first time in its 39 seasons (yes, we said 39), Survivor has booted a cast member for inappropriate behavior. "A decision has been made, and Dan will not be returning to the game," host Jeff Probst told the castaways on Wednesday's episode, referring to former contestant Dan Spilo. "He won't be coming back to camp, he won't be on the jury. He's gone." A title card at the end of the episode expanded just a bit: "Dan was removed from the game after a report of another incident, which happened off-camera and did not involve a player." Per TMZ, the incident in question involved someone on the crew as they were entering a boat to leave the island, but details haven't been made public. As USA Today explains, Spilo had been proving controversial this season, with fellow castaways reporting "inappropriate touching."
As USA Today reported last month, castaway Kellee Kim called the Los Angeles talent manager's behavior "extremely inappropriate," and two other female contestants also complained. According to TMZ, however, the other contestants have since said they were playing up their discomfort for the sake of the game. An onscreen message noted at the time that all players "were cautioned about personal boundaries" and that producers also "met privately with Dan, at which time he was issued a warning for his behavior." On Twitter Wednesday, Kim implied Spilo had been removed from the show for another incident of "inappropriate touching." But Probst, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, wouldn't give any further details. He did reveal Spilo "was not happy" with the producers' decision, but was ultimately "very respectful" by the time he departed the island. (Read more Survivor stories.)