Doobly? Fipper? What Do You Call the Remote?

Nearly family, remote deserves a nickname
By Sam Gale Rosen,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 17, 2008 6:42 PM CDT
Doobly? Fipper? What Do You Call the Remote?
A fine specimen of doofla.   ((c) kingnixon)

(Newser) – The English Project is looking for unique words used among friends and families, and it's found a particularly rich vein in alternative terms for the TV remote control, the Guardian of London reports. Favorites include:

  • doobly, podger, blipper
  • melly, didge, clicker

story continues below

  • changer, flipper, zapper
  • the mote, the trolls, the buttons
  • doofla, do-flicky, onner-offer
  • Frank
(Read more TV remote control stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.