The Redskins may have dodged the latest legal challenge to its (allegedly) racist team name, but with more on the way, bloggers are tossing out alternatives owner Dan Snyder should consider. The Week collects the best:
- Washington Nationals: Sharing a nickname with a baseball team didn’t hurt the New York Giants back in the day.
- Washington Power: The city’s all about power, and having a name that doesn't end in "s" is oh-so-trendy.
- Washington Red Skin Potatoes: Washington also loves linguistic loop holes.
- Washington Wohnata: That’s Lakota Sioux for “they are champions.” Similar possibilities: Matwesaso (“courageous” in Nanticoke), Jepziwok (“great athletes” in Chippewa) or Idini (“like thunder” in Apache)
- Washington Dragons: Because Snyder probably played a lot of D&D as a kid.
- Washington Skins: The Washington Post suggests making the name refer to peoples of all races, with a many-colored logo
Click the source link to the right for more ideas...like DC Comets.
(Read more Washington Redskins