X

Gaffe May Sink Reid in Nevada

Majority leader can't afford to lose any black voters in 2010
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 11, 2010 12:06 PM CST
Gaffe May Sink Reid in Nevada
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid speaks on Capitol Hill in this file photo.   (AP Photo/Haraz N. Ghanbari, file)

(Newser) – Harry Reid’s already shaky reelection prospects just got a whole lot shakier, thanks to his observations on Barack Obama’s skin color. Reid isn’t facing a strong Republican opponent, but he’s been behind in the polls for a while now anyway, notes Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight.com. He’d been relying on a strong money advantage and turnout machine would help him eke out a win, but any erosion in his black support could sink him.

story continues below

African Americans, who make up 10% of Nevada’s electorate, have been a bedrock of support for Reid. In one September poll, for example, he lead political neophyte Danny Tarkanian 74-5 among black voters, while trailing him 40-45 overall. If, hypothetically, 10% of those black voters switched sides, and another 20% didn’t vote, Tarkanian’s lead stretches to 47-38. Even before the gaffe, Reid was imperiled. Now, Silver concludes, he needs to at least consider retirement. (Read more Harry Reid stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X