Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Rules Against
Ben & Jerry's West Bank Pullout
Aug 23, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Judge Rules Against Ben & Jerry's West Bank Pullout
Federal judge says company's products can still be sold in occupied territories
- A federal judge on Monday rejected a request by Ben & Jerry’s to block a plan by its corporate parent to allow its products to be sold in east Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank against the wishes of the Vermont ice cream maker's independent board of directors....
Causes Outrage With
'50 Holocausts' Remark
Aug 17, 2022 12:01 PM CDT
Palestinian Leader Causes Outrage With '50 Holocausts' Remark
He made comparison during news conference in Berlin
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas outraged Germans—and Israelis—Tuesday night by referring to the massacres of Palestinian civilians by Israeli forces as "Holocausts." Abbas, speaking at a joint press conference in Berlin with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, made the remark when a German journalist asked if he planned...
After Days of
Violence in Gaza
Aug 8, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Ceasefire Between Israel, Palestinians After Days of Violence in Gaza
After 3 days of the worst fighting since last year
- A ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants took effect late Sunday in a bid to end nearly three days of violence that killed dozens of Palestinians and disrupted the lives of hundreds of thousands of Israelis, the AP reports. The flare-up was the worst fighting between Israel and Gaza militant...
Biden's Last Stop in the
Middle East Is His Big One
Jul 13, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Biden's Last Stop in the Middle East Is His Big One
That would be Saudi Arabia
- President Biden landed in Israel on Wednesday for his first trip to the Middle East since taking office. It's a whirlwind four-day trip: Biden is spending two days in Jerusalem for talks with Israeli leaders before meeting Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday in the West Bank. He then...
Nixes a Hebrew
of Her Novel
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Sally Rooney Nixes a Hebrew Translation of Her Novel
Author's decision is due to her opinion on the Israel-Palestine conflict
- Sally Rooney, an author who's been referred to as "the first great millennial novelist," is making her stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict crystal clear: The 30-year-old won't allow a Hebrew translation of her latest novel. Rooney rejected an offer from Israeli publisher Modan, which published her...
Prison Break Is First
of Its Kind in Decades
Sep 7, 2021 12:37 AM CDT
Prison Break Is First of Its Kind in Decades
Manhunt has been launched in Israel
- For the first time in years, Palestinian prisoners have broken out of an Israeli jail. Six men escaped around 1am Monday, the
New York Times
reports. Five of them are Islamist militants, according to the prison service, while the sixth is said to be the former commander of another militant...
Olympian Refuses to Face
Jul 24, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Olympian Refuses to Face Israeli Opponent
Fethi Nourine bowed out rather than face Tohar Butbu
- An Algerian athlete is being sent home from the Tokyo Olympics after refusing to face an Israeli opponent. Fethi Nourine bowed out of men's judo 73K division late Thursday and told Algerian television that his support for the Palestinian people precludes him from facing Tohar Butbul. Per Reuters , Nourine...
Ben & Jerry's Announces
Withdrawal From West Bank
Jul 19, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Ben & Jerry's Announces Withdrawal From West Bank
Company says its ice cream won't be sold in 'Occupied Palestinian Territory'
- An announcement from Ben & Jerry's on Monday got a very frosty reception in Israel. The Vermont-based company said in a statement that it will no longer allow its ice cream to be sold in the "Occupied Palestinian Territory"—the West Bank and east Jerusalem—because the...
Israel Breaks Ceasefire
Jun 16, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
After Incendiary Balloons Launched, Israel Breaks Ceasefire
The balloons, in turn, were launched from Gaza in response to an Israeli march
- Israeli aircraft carried out a series of airstrikes at militant sites in the Gaza Strip early Wednesday, the first such raids since a shaky cease-fire ended the war with Hamas last month, the AP reports. The airstrikes targeted facilities used by Hamas militants for meetings to plan attacks, the Israeli...
Blinken Says US Will
Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
May 26, 2021 12:44 AM CDT
Blinken Says US Will Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
Secretary of State makes first official visit to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday announced plans to reopen a key diplomatic outreach office to the Palestinians and pledged nearly $40 million in new aid—reversing key policies of the Trump administration as he moved to bolster the embattled Palestinian government in the West Bank. On his first...
US Shoots Down UN Statement
Condemning Violence in Gaza
May 18, 2021 12:50 AM CDT
US Shoots Down UN Statement Condemning Violence in Gaza
The only country on the Security Council to do so
- The UN Security Council was considering a statement condemning the violence in Gaza, which has left hundreds of Palestinians dead including dozens of women and children, and calling for a ceasefire—but the US blocked it Monday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to Al Jazeera , that's the third...
Fears Rise of a
4th War Between
May 12, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Fears Rise of a 4th War Between Israel, Hamas
The airstrikes continued Wednesday
- If you're wondering what exactly is happening between Israelis and Palestinians , Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sums it up plainly: "We are in the midst of a significant operation." The AP describes it as the "worst fighting since the 2014 Gaza war," with CNN describing...
Unusual Heat Wave Sets
Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Oct 10, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Unusual Heat Wave Sets Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Wildfires, mass evacuations, and detonating land mines in the Middle East
- Wildfires around the Middle East triggered by a heat wave hitting the region have killed two people, forced thousands of people to leave their homes, and detonated land mines along the Lebanon-Israel border, state media and officials said Saturday. The areas hit by the heat wave are Syria, Lebanon, Israel,...
'We’re Here This Afternoon to
Change the Course of History'
Sep 15, 2020 12:32 PM CDT
'We’re Here This Afternoon to Change the Course of History'
President Trump presides over signing of historic pacts by Israel, UAE, Bahrain
- Declaring “the dawn of a new Middle East,” President Trump on Tuesday presided over the signing of historic diplomatic pacts between Israel and two Gulf Arab nations that he hopes will lead to a new order in the Mideast and cast him as a peacemaker at the height...
Child #2: 'That's
Mar 8, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Child: 'Balloons!' Child #2: 'That's a Bomb!'
Israel grapples with militant tactic of sending balloons over the border
- Merav Hania recalls the day her daughter stopped enjoying kindergarten—when balloons floated into her playground in Israel, the
reports. "Balloons!" the girl cried. But another child stopped her: "That's a bomb!" Sure enough, Emma huddled with other students inside as a police...
Feb 2, 2020 1:20 PM CST
Bloomberg 'Just Went There' With Trump
And there's other political chatter on Sunday
- In Politico 's words, "Mike Bloomberg's campaign just went there." Facing a wave of attacks from President Trump, the Democratic candidate fired back Sunday with "pathological liar"—not an unusual retort for Dems—then dared to engage in a game of personal insults. "...
Here Is What's in Trump's
Mideast Peace Plan
Jan 28, 2020 12:48 PM CST
Here Is What's in Trump's Mideast Peace Plan
It calls for Palestinian state, settlement freeze
- President Trump unveiled his long-awaited Middle East peace plan Tuesday, calling for the creation of a State of Palestine with its capital in portions of east Jerusalem. He declared it a "win-win" opportunity for both Israel and the Palestinians. The plan ends speculation as to whether his administration, in...
Shouldn't Have Aired
Jan 14, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Producers: Bethlehem Question Shouldn't Have Aired
They say wrong version of game show was sent to TV stations
- Producers of the game show
have apologized for a clue that waded into political hot water involving Israeli control of the West Bank, saying an incorrect version of the show was sent to television stations, the AP reports. A game shown last Friday asked contestants to identify the location...
'Original' Jesus Relic
Arrives in Bethlehem
Nov 30, 2019 4:50 PM CST
'Original' Jesus Relic Arrives in Bethlehem
The pope returns it, 1,400 years later
- A tiny wooden relic that some Christians believe to be part of Jesus' manger arrived Saturday in its permanent home in the biblical city of Bethlehem 1,400 years after it was sent to Rome as a gift to the pope, the AP reports. Sheathed in an ornate case, the...
on Israel Policy
Nov 18, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Pompeo Announces Big Reversal on Israel Policy
US will no longer view West Bank settlements as violations of international law
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Monday that the US is softening its position on Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank, the latest in a series of Trump administration moves that weaken Palestinian claims to statehood. Pompeo repudiated a 1978 State Department legal opinion that held that civilian settlements...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.