Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Icelandic Women Are
Going on Strike Tomorrow
Oct 23, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Icelandic Women Are Going on Strike Tomorrow
The country's prime minister is joining them
- Icelandic women are going on strike Tuesday, and Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir doesn't plan to be an exception. "I will not work this day," she told mbl.is , adding that she doesn't expect female cabinet members to work either. This will be the first full-day women'...
This Is the Best City for
Women in America
Oct 1, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
This Is the Best City for Women in America
Columbia, Maryland, tops WalletHub's list; Jackson, Mississippi, comes in last
- Women make up just over half of the US population, and there are several factors they may want to take into consideration before finding a place to settle down, including safety, job opportunities, and access to resources geared toward women's health care. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of...
Lose Value if Men
See Their Faces
Aug 18, 2023 12:14 PM CDT
Taliban: Women Lose Value if Men See Their Faces
Molvi Mohammad Sadiq Akif says women who spurn hijabs risk 'falling into sin'
- Women lose value if men can see their uncovered faces in public, a spokesman for a key ministry of Afghanistan's Taliban government said Thursday, adding that religious scholars in the country agree that a woman must keep her face covered when outside the home. The Taliban, who took over...
Security Council Pressures
Taliban on Women's Rights
Apr 27, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Security Council Pressures Taliban on Women's Rights
Unanimous vote calls for reversal of prohibitions on employment, education
- The Taliban's systematic discrimination against women and girls in Afghanistan has brought a rare instance of unanimity to the UN Security Council. A resolution approved Thursday condemns the bias and demands Afghanistan's leaders overturn their policies prohibiting the education, employment, and full public participation of women and girls....
Afghan Religious Scholars
Speak Out on Educating Girls
Apr 8, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Afghan Religious Scholars Speak Out on Educating Girls
Taliban minister warns clerics about complaining
- Afghan religious scholars on Saturday criticized a ban on educating women and girls, after a key Taliban minister warned clerics not to rebel against the government on the issue. Girls cannot go to school beyond sixth grade in Afghanistan, with the education ban extending to universities . Women are barred from...
How Women Are
Marking March 8
Mar 8, 2023 12:26 PM CST
How Women Are Marking March 8
There are International Women's Day celebrations and protests alike
- March 8 has been set aside by the United Nations as International Women's Day since 1977, and 46 years later, the AP reports that it appears to be holding strong. This year, women around the globe are variously noting advances, setbacks, and repression. Here, a look in words and...
This Is the Best
US State for Women
Mar 7, 2023 5:53 PM CST
This Is the Best US State for Women
Vermont is No. 1, while Oklahoma comes in last in WalletHub's rankings
- It's Women's History Month , and what better way to celebrate the occasion than to offer some leads on tracking down the best places for women to live. WalletHub has done much of the legwork, looking at more than two dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC in...
After Women's Studies Move,
Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Dec 22, 2022 4:20 PM CST
After Women's Studies Move, Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Education minister defends decision to bar females from universities
- The minister of higher education in the Taliban government on Thursday defended his decision to bar women from universities—a decree that had triggered a global backlash. Discussing the matter for the first time in public, Nida Mohammad Nadim said the ban issued earlier this week was necessary to prevent...
Taliban Bans Women
From Parks, Gyms
Nov 10, 2022 11:56 AM CST
Taliban Bans Women From Parks, Gyms
Group claims it has 'tried its best' to avoid imposing restrictions
- More than a year after returning to power in Afghanistan and promising to respect women's rights, the Taliban are busy crushing the few rights women in the country still have. Women are now banned from parks and gyms in the country, according to a Ministry of Vice and Virtue...
This Is the
Aug 27, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Women's Equality
New Mexico takes No. 1 spot in WalletHub's rankings; Utah is last
- Women's Equality Day was celebrated in the US on Friday, commemorating the 1920 adoption of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. There's been significant progress in terms of women's equality since, but the scales still aren't completely balanced, and some states are...
Woman's 'Death by Stoning'
Sentence Rattles Activists
Jul 13, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Woman's 'Death by Stoning' Sentence Rattles Activists
It's the first such sentence in Sudan in nearly a decade
- An October military coup in Sudan may have shifted the movement on women's rights there, and not in a good way. A 20-year-old woman arrested in White Nile state last month and charged with adultery has now heard her fate: death by stoning, the first known sentence like it...
Pelosi: Roe Decision Is
'Slap in the Face to Women'
Jun 24, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Pelosi: Roe Decision Is 'Slap in the Face to Women'
Speaker vows to codify law protecting abortion rights after Supreme Court ruling
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blasted the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, declaring that "the radical Supreme Court is eviscerating American rights and endangering their health and safety," per the Hill . She added: "What this means to women is such an insult. It's...
Female Anchors Cover Faces
Under New Taliban Order
May 22, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Female Anchors Cover Faces Under New Taliban Order
Male colleagues in Afghanistan wear masks in solidarity
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers on Sunday began enforcing an order requiring all female TV news anchors in the country to cover their faces while on the air. The move is part of a hard-line shift drawing condemnation from rights activists. After the order was announced Thursday, only a handful of...
Margaret Atwood: My
Is Coming True
May 13, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
Margaret Atwood: My 'Far-Fetched' Tale Is Coming True
Author weighs in against Supreme Court draft opinion to overturn Roe v. Wade
- The author of
The Handmaid's Tale
says her dystopian story of a world in which women are forced to become pregnant and give birth is coming to life as evidenced by the Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. In a piece at the
Women Challenge Taliban Rule:
'This Isn't About Hijab'
May 8, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Women Challenge Taliban Rule: 'This Isn't About Hijab'
Some Taliban leaders look for workarounds on the restrictions in Afghanistan
- Arooza was furious and afraid, keeping her eyes open for Taliban on patrol as she and a friend shopped Sunday in Kabul's Macroyan neighborhood. The math teacher was fearful her large shawl, wrapped tight around her head, and sweeping pale brown coat would not satisfy the latest decree by...
Booted From Flights
Mar 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Officials: Afghan Women Without Male Companions Booted From Flights
Unaccompanied women reportedly turned away from airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Friday
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers refused to allow dozens of women to board several flights, including some overseas, because they were traveling without a male "guardian," two Afghan airline officials said Saturday. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said dozens of women who arrived at Kabul's...
Taliban: Women Taking Trips
Should Bring a Male Relative
Dec 27, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Taliban: Women Taking Trips Should Bring a Male Relative
Pakistan joins Human Rights Watch in objecting to Afghanistan directive
- New travel restrictions have been placed on women in Afghanistan by the Taliban. If they're going more than 45 miles, they should travel with a close male relative, the BBC reports. If they're not wearing Islamic head or face coverings, drivers should refuse to give them a ride....
Saudi Activist Sues
Aided UAE Hacking
Dec 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Saudi Activist Sues Americans Who Aided UAE Hacking
Loujain al-Hathloul, who led push for women to drive, was imprisoned and tortured
- Three former US intelligence and military officers have admitted in a separate case that they helped the United Arab Emirates with hacking operations. Now they're being sued by a Saudi women's rights activist who says the assistance of the three men led to her iPhone being hacked by...
Her Jailed for
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Oklahoma Woman's Miscarriage Gets Her Jailed for Manslaughter
Brittney Poolaw's case is gaining attention
- After a one-day trial, a 21-year-old Oklahoma woman was on Oct. 6 convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to four years in prison—because she had a miscarriage. The case of Brittney Poolaw, who was 19 when she lost her pregnancy at home at between 15 and 17 weeks' gestation, has...
Kabul Tells Female Workers
Men Are Taking Their Jobs
Sep 19, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Kabul Tells Female Workers Men Are Taking Their Jobs
Taliban make exceptions for public toilet attendants
- Female employees in city government have been told to stay home, with work only allowed for those who cannot be replaced by men, Kabul's interim mayor said Sunday. The announcement is another sign that the Taliban are enforcing their harsh interpretation of Islam despite promises that they would be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.