Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Brandon (Yes, That One)
Would Like a Word
in case you missed it
Dec 25, 2021 6:15 AM CST
Brandon (Yes, That One) Would Like a Word
NASCAR driver-turned-meme would rather focus on cars than politics
- Even people unfamiliar with NASCAR know his name, or at least his first one. Brandon Brown is the 28-year-old driver who inadvertently became a political meme in October when his name turned into a slogan for opponents of President Biden. He's the "Brandon" of "Let's Go...
to Do With 'Let's
Nov 6, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
NASCAR Doesn't Want Anything to Do With 'Let's Go, Brandon'
President Steve Phelps seeks to distance company from political phrase criticizing President Biden
- "Let's go, Brandon," an anti-Biden catchphrase , has caught fire in recent weeks in conservative circles. But one big company is now trying to distance itself, with a warning. "It's an unfortunate situation," NASCAR President Steve Phelps said Friday of the slogan, per the AP...
He's Just the 2nd Black
NASCAR Driver to Do This
Oct 5, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
He's Just the 2nd Black NASCAR Driver to Do This
Bubba Wallace wins a race at the Cup Series level
- The hard part wasn't dodging his way around a crash and then driving to the front of the field at Talladega Superspeedway. That was just instinct for Bubba Wallace. The challenge was the 45 minutes after Wallace took the lead, when the sky opened and he anxiously sat in...
Cops: Ex-NASCAR Driver
Shot Dead After Attacking Wife
Oct 4, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Cops: Ex-NASCAR Driver Shot Dead After Attacking Wife
John Townley attacked Laura Townley, another man with hatchet, police say
- Former NASCAR driver John Townley was shot dead in Georgia on Saturday night—but no charges have been filed against the alleged shooter. Police say the 31-year-old turned up at a home in Athens and attacked ex-wife Laura Townley and another man with a hatchet, NBC reports. The other man,...
Dies at 42
May 3, 2021 2:21 AM CDT
Ex-NASCAR Driver Eric McClure Dies at 42
Few details have been released, and an autopsy is pending
- Former NASCAR driver Eric McClure died Sunday, his family and the series said. He was 42. No details were given about his death, the AP reports. McClure had posted on social media as recently as Saturday. The Washington County sheriff's office said McClure's body was sent to Roanoke,...
Starts New Sport
Feb 14, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Michael Jordan Starts New Sport
NASCAR season opens with groundbreaking team that has Bubba Wallace at the wheel
- Michael Jordan enters a new arena Sunday, as co-owner of a NASCAR team in the Daytona 500. He's new to the role—having spent his formative years playing basketball and baseball—but he's surrounded by experience, WCNC reports. Denny Hamlin, the co-owner, has won Daytona three times. And...
Newlyweds Die on
Nov 28, 2020 10:51 AM CST
Newlyweds Die on Florida Honeymoon
William and Blakley Harrell were driving on Lower Matecumbe Key
- A horrific car crash in Florida took the life of a NASCAR crew member and his new bride this week—who were on their honeymoon, no less. William "Rowdy" Harrell, 30, and his 23-year-old wife Blakley were driving Wednesday on US 1 on Lower Matecumbe Key when their Toyota...
NASCAR Driver Suspended
Over Video-Game Slur to Return
Oct 20, 2020 2:09 PM CDT
NASCAR Driver Suspended Over Video-Game Slur to Return
Kyle Larson can resume competition next season
- Kyle Larson can return to NASCAR competition next season following a long suspension for using a racial slur while playing a video game . He was suspended in April after he used the n-word while playing an online racing game in which viewers could follow along. He was dropped by his...
Greets NASCAR Fans
Jul 15, 2020 7:16 PM CDT
Confederate Flag Greets NASCAR Fans
A plane also flew a flag reading 'Defund NASCAR'
- Fans are trickling into Bristol Motor Speedway for Wednesday night's All-Star race in NASCAR's largest event with spectators since the coronavirus pandemic shut sports down in March. They were greeted by a plane flying over the Tennessee track that was pulling a banner of the Confederate flag, which...
Responds to Trump
Jul 7, 2020 1:32 AM CDT
NASCAR's Bubba Wallace Responds to Trump
By telling his young fans, 'Love wins'
- Hours after President Trump claimed that Bubba Wallace, NASCAR's only black driver, should apologize for the noose "HOAX" at Talladega Superspeedway, Wallace had something to say in response. Though he framed it as a letter "to the next generation and little ones following my foot steps."...
Jul 6, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Trump: NASCAR's Bubba Wallace Should Apologize
He says noose found in garage was 'just another HOAX'
- After a door pull-down rope tied into a noose was found in the garage of stall of NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace, fellow drivers rallied around the African-American driver , though investigators later determined it had been there for months and Wallace was not the target of a hate crime. On Monday,...
Jul 4, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
NASCAR Champ Jimmie Johnson Tests Positive for COVID
He'll miss first race of Cup career after finding out he has coronavirus
- Jimmie Johnson was all set to race in Sunday's Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis, but he's now pulled out, for good reason: The seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion has contracted COVID-19. "My first priority is the health and safety of my loved ones and my teammates," the...
NASCAR Releases Image:
'The Noose Was Real'
Jun 25, 2020 1:58 PM CDT
NASCAR Releases Image: 'The Noose Was Real'
But whether it was an attack on Bubba Wallace is uncertain
- Declaring “the noose was real,” NASCAR officials on Thursday released a photo of the rope found in the garage stall of black driver Bubba Wallace that prompted a federal investigation, per the AP . The incident has put racism front and center for the stock car series that two...
Why Bubba Wallace Is 'Pissed'
Jun 24, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
Why Bubba Wallace Is 'Pissed'
NASCAR driver says his character is being tested
- NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace says "people are trying to test my character" after the FBI determined that the noose in his team's garage was a door pull that had been in place for months. "I'm pissed," NASCAR's only black full-time driver told CNN '...
FBI: Noose Had Been in
NASCAR Garage for Months
Jun 23, 2020 5:49 PM CDT
FBI: Noose Had Been in NASCAR Garage for Months
'This was not an intentional, racist act against Bubba,' NASCAR says
- When a noose was found in Bubba Wallace's stall at the Talladega Superspeedway, NASCAR strongly condemned the apparent hate crime and fellow drivers rallied around Wallace, the sport's only full-time African American driver. The FBI, however, now says the noose had been there for months, long before Wallace'...
Apparent Noose Found
at Another Race Track
Jun 23, 2020 1:39 PM CDT
Apparent Noose Found at Another Race Track
Police investigating at California's Sonoma Raceway
- California's Sonoma Raceway says police are investigating after a "piece of twine tied in what appeared to be a noose" was found hanging from a tree. A staff member spotted the apparent noose tied to a tree behind a former administrative office on the property on Saturday, a...
of Solidarity' From
Jun 23, 2020 5:14 AM CDT
'Extraordinary Act of Solidarity' From NASCAR Drivers
All 39 other drivers surround Bubba Wallace, escort his car to the front of the line before race
- In what the AP is calling an "extraordinary act of solidarity," dozens of NASCAR drivers pushed Bubba Wallace's car to the front of the field Monday before the Talladega Superspeedway race. The day prior, a noose had been found in Wallace's stall, a shocking incident now...
This Is a 'Defining
Moment' for NASCAR
Jun 22, 2020 1:02 PM CDT
This Is a 'Defining Moment' for NASCAR
FBI investigating noose found in Bubba Wallace's stall
- The FBI is now investigating the discovery of a noose in the stall of NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace Sunday. US Attorney Jay Town said Monday that the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division is also reviewing the Alabama incident, which NASCAR described as a "heinous act," the
Over Noose in
Black Driver's Stall
Jun 22, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
NASCAR 'Outraged' Over Noose in Black Driver's Stall
Bubba Wallace says racist incident will not break him
- A noose was found in the garage stall of black driver Bubba Wallace at the NASCAR race in Alabama on Sunday, less than two weeks after he successfully pushed the auto racing series to ban the Confederate flag at its tracks and facilities. NASCAR announced the discovery late Sunday and...
NASCAR Agrees With
Its Lone Black Driver on Flag
Jun 10, 2020 4:53 PM CDT
NASCAR Agrees With Its Lone Black Driver on Flag
'No one should feel uncomfortable' at a race, Bubba Wallace had said
- It's time for NASCAR to prohibit fans from waving Confederate flags at its races, said Bubba Wallace, the sport's sole black driver. On Wednesday, the organization agreed. "There should be no individual that is uncomfortable showing up to our events to have a good time with their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
De Blasio: 'I Am Declaring My Candidacy'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.