Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fatal Mauling Wasn't Grizzly's
First Attack of a Human
Sep 7, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Fatal Mauling Wasn't Grizzly's First Attack of a Human
Bear with a 'history of conflict with people' euthanized in Montana; her cub will go to zoo
- A grizzly bear that killed a hiker near the town of West Yellowstone, Montana, in July and was also found to have injured a person in Idaho in 2020 has been euthanized after busting into a home. The 10-year-old female and her cub, still roaming near the Yellowstone National Park...
Sep 3, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Missing Hiker Found Dead in Montana
Adam Fuselier, 32, had been missing in Glacier National Park since Tuesday
- A Colorado man who was last seen Tuesday in Glacier National Park in Montana has been found dead, reports KPAX . Adam Fuselier, 32, was hiking Reynolds Mountain, says the GNP in a news release . Park rangers were alerted Wednesday morning that Fuselier was overdue to return from his hike, and...
Mama Grizzly Killed
Aug 30, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Hunter Shot, Mama Grizzly Killed During Surprise Montana Encounter
Bear had a cub, whose whereabouts are not known
- Two hunters out scouting for hunting season in Montana's Flathead National Forest suddenly found themselves within 15 feet of a mama grizzly bear and her cub Saturday. The mother bear charged the men, who fired their guns, CBS News reports. The encounter ended with the bear shot dead and...
Young Montanans Score
Huge Win in Climate Trial
Aug 14, 2023 1:34 PM CDT
Young Montanans Score Huge Win in Climate Trial
Judge sides with activists who said state violated their right to a clean environment
- Young environmental activists have scored a huge victory in Montana, where a judge has agreed that the state violated their constitutional right to "a clean and healthful environment." In the first-of-its-kind Held v Montana case, District Judge Kathy Seeley ruled that it was unconstitutional for the coal and...
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses
Abound. Now, a New Find
Aug 8, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses Abound. Now, a New Find
Air Force finds unsafe carcinogen levels at Montana's Malmstrom nuclear missiles base
- The Air Force has detected unsafe levels of a likely carcinogen at underground launch control centers at a Montana nuclear missile base where a striking number of men and women have reported cancer diagnoses. A new cleanup effort has now been ordered, reports the AP . The discovery "is the...
3 Women Injured in
Montana Otter Attack
Aug 4, 2023 4:51 AM CDT
3 Women Injured in Montana Otter Attack
One of them had to be airlifted to the hospital
- One of three women hurt in a river otter attack in southern Montana was injured so badly that she had to be taken to a hospital by helicopter, authorities say. The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks says the women were floating in inner tubes on the Jefferson River...
Girl Who Vanished 4 Years Ago
Walks Into Police Station
in case you missed it
Jul 30, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Girl Who Vanished 4 Years Ago Walks Into Police Station
Alicia Navarro disappeared from her Arizona home, turned up in Montana
- Alicia Navarro disappeared from her home in Glendale, Arizona, in 2019, when she was 14. The now-18-year-old recently showed up at a Montana police station and said she is the teen who's been missing nearly four years and that she'd like to be removed from the missing juveniles...
Officials: Grizzly Bear Killed
Woman Near Yellowstone
Jul 24, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Officials: Grizzly Bear Killed Woman Near Yellowstone
Hiker found body on trail Saturday morning
- A lone hiker was killed near Yellowstone National Park in what authorities believe was a grizzly bear attack, though they have been unable to locate the bear. The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks department said Monday that the woman's body was found by a hiker Saturday morning on the...
This Is the Most
Patriotic State in America
Jul 4, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
This Is the Most Patriotic State in America
Virginia is for lovers (of the US), per WalletHub, while Arkansas needs to muster up more affection
- It's the biggest holiday of the American summer, and flags are waving. As Americans light their grills and prepare to watch the Fourth's fireworks, WalletHub susses out which states are the most patriotic. To figure out where citizens are most likely to be decked out in their red,...
Freight Cars Fall Into River
as Bridge Collapses
Jun 24, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Freight Cars Fall Into River as Bridge Collapses
Petroleum products are leaking, Montana officials say
- A bridge that crosses Yellowstone River in Montana collapsed Saturday morning, causing portions of a freight train that was traveling over it to fall into the water below. No crew members were injured, KSVI reports. Numerous tank cars were partially submerged in the river, and railroad crews were at the...
Youth Take On Montana:
You're Destroying Our Future
Jun 13, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Youth Take On Montana: You're Destroying Our Future
Environmentalists say state broke vow to provide a healthy environment through embrace of fossil fuels
- Sixteen young people say the state of Montana is destroying their future through its embrace of fossil fuels as part of a landmark climate trial now underway in Helena. The plaintiffs, ages 5 to 22, argue the state is violating its own constitution, which has declared since 1972 that "...
TikTok Sues Montana
May 22, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
TikTok Sues Montana
Company says ban is based on 'unfounded speculation'
- TikTok is taking Montana to court over the state's first-in-the-nation ban complete ban of the app , which was due to take effect Jan. 1 but could now be delayed. In a complaint filed Monday in US District Court for the District of Montana, TikTok said the ban violated First...
It Gets Sued
May 19, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Hours After First State Bans TikTok, It Gets Sued
Lawsuit filed against Montana after it tries to entirely ban the social media app
- Five TikTok content creators wasted no time filing a lawsuit challenging Montana's first-in-the-nation TikTok ban ; their complaint was filed Wednesday night, hours after Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte signed the law, which goes way beyond a prohibiting TikTok on government devices. The Montana ban aims to prohibit the Chinese-owned app...
State OKs Total TikTok Ban
May 17, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
State OKs Total TikTok Ban
ACLU calls Montana law unconstitutional
- The nation's first complete ban on TikTok has been approved in Montana. Gov. Greg Gianforte, a Republican, signed the legislation on Wednesday, possibly kicking off a court battle that could not only decide whether Montana's law ever takes effect, but also the future of similar federal legislation, the...
In a First, Judge Orders Trial in
Young People's Climate Lawsuit
May 12, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
In a First, Judge Orders Trial in Young People's Climate Lawsuit
State constitution requires preserving 'a clean and healthful environment'
- A Montana judge on Friday said a climate change lawsuit from young people challenging the state's pro-fossil fuel policies will proceed to trial despite efforts by the state to derail the case. The upcoming trial in Helena would be the first of its kind in the US, according to...
Bid to Return
to State House
May 3, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Judge Rejects Trans Lawmaker's Bid to Return to State House
Montana's Zooey Zephyr had alleged a violation of her First Amendment rights
- A judge on Tuesday rejected Montana state Rep. Zooey Zephyr's attempt to be allowed back onto the House floor, CNN reports. Zephyr, who is trans, had sued in an effort to get court intervention after she was censured and barred from the floor last month, and she says she'...
by His Son
Apr 29, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Governor Signs Anti-Trans Bills Despite Lobbying by His Son
Montana Greg Gianforte makes no public comment on new law
- Gov. Greg Gianforte on Friday signed into law bills restricting transition care for transgender minors in Montana over the pleas of, among others, his son. The governor made no public comment about the legislation, but his spokeswoman emailed the
New York Times
that "he is committed to protecting Montana'...
From House Floor
Apr 27, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Republicans Bar Montana Trans Lawmaker From House Floor
Zooey Zephyr barred from floor for rest of current legislative session
- Montana Republicans barred transgender lawmaker Zooey Zephyr from the House floor for the rest of the 2023 session on Wednesday in retaliation for her rebuking colleagues—and then participating in protests—after they voted to ban gender-affirming care for children. The freshman lawmaker's punishment marks the first time that...
Rep Who Spoke Up
for Trans Rights
Apr 26, 2023 6:28 AM CDT
Rep Who Spoke Up for Trans Rights Faces Expulsion
GOP has frozen Montana Rep. Zooey Zephyr from speaking after 'blood on their hands' remark
- Montana Republican leaders will vote Wednesday on censuring or expelling lawmaker Zooey Zephyr, a transgender state representative who's been silenced in the House since last week after telling colleagues that if they voted for a bill to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender children, they'd "have blood...
As Trans Rep
Apr 25, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
As Trans Rep Is Silenced in Montana, Chaos Erupts
Law enforcement clears House gallery, arrest 7 supporters of Rep. Zooey Zephyr
- The decision by Republican leadership to silence a transgender lawmaker in Montana who urged colleagues to reject amendments to a bill banning gender-affirming care for minors has resulted in chaos in the state Capitol. Seven people were arrested Monday for interrupting proceedings to support Rep. Zooey Zephyr, who'd argued...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.