Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Cardboard Box
Just Got Political
Oct 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
The Cardboard Box Just Got Political
ProPublica reports on how owners of giant Uline have become No. 1 GOP donors
- If asked to name the No. 1 federal campaign donors to Republicans ahead of the midterms, it's possible that even veteran political observers would get it wrong: The correct answer is Dick and Liz Uihlein of Illinois, reports ProPublica . The Uihleins run the giant private company Uline, which supplies...
Sep 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
GOP Unveils Its Midterm Agenda
McCarthy rolls out Republicans' 'Commitment to America,' focusing on economy, border security
- House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Friday directly confronted President Biden and the party in power, choosing battleground Pennsylvania to unveil a midterm election agenda with sweeping Trump-like promises, despite the House GOP's sometimes spotty record of delivering and governing in Congress. McCarthy, who's poised to seize the...
Sep 12, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
GOP Senators Slam Trump's 'Inappropriate' Pardons Remark
Graham, Romney, others blast Jan. 6 comment; Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley thread the needle
- Earlier this month, former President Trump told a conservative radio host that, if he were elected to the Oval Office again, he'd offer "full pardons," along with a public apology to many of those who'd stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Turns out a few GOP...
Yes, a GOP
Aug 30, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Gingrich: Yes, a GOP Wave Is Coming
Ex-House speaker says left-leaning media is either misunderstanding the facts or distorting them
- There's a growing sentiment in the media that the GOP will struggle in the upcoming November midterms, writes former Republican House speaker Newt Gingrich. But in his op-ed at Fox News , Gingrich asserts that the "legacy, left-wing media is at best misunderstanding—and at worst deliberately distorting—the...
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
Ahead of Ariz. Primary,
a Trump-Pence Split
Jul 19, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Ahead of Ariz. Primary, a Trump-Pence Split
They're each backing different Republican gubernatorial candidates in that state
- Former Vice President Mike Pence is again butting heads with his former boss, this time in the Arizona gubernatorial race. With two weeks left until the Aug. 2 primary, Pence endorsed Republican Karrin Taylor Robson on Monday and is to campaign on her behalf on Friday, reports Politico . Former President...
Cheney Calls Trump 'Domestic
Threat' We've Never Dealt With
Jun 30, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Cheney Calls Trump 'Domestic Threat' We've Never Dealt With
Former president's actions were 'more threatening than we could have imagined'
- Donald Trump is "a domestic threat that we have never faced before," Rep. Liz Cheney, vice chair of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, said Wednesday, following damning testimony against the former president, who's reportedly eying a return to power. He's "gone...
Kinzinger Warns: 'There Is
Violence in the Future'
Jun 20, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Kinzinger Warns: 'There Is Violence in the Future'
GOP congressman on Jan. 6 select House panel speaks on political lies, says he got death threat
- Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of two Republicans on the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, fears that violence instigated by his own party is on the horizon, and he says he's already been threatened himself. The Illinois congressman sat down Sunday with George...
GOP Rep for Uvalde:
Today Not the Day to
Talk Gun Reform
May 25, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
GOP Rep for Uvalde: Today Not the Day to Talk Gun Reform
US Rep. Tony Gonzales said he's 'happy to debate' policy another time
- Uvalde, Texas, is represented by US Rep. Tony Gonzales, and the Republican joined
on Wednesday to talk about the horrors that unfolded there Tuesday. "It was such a horrific scene that many of the children could not be identified and they had to use DNA and other...
Trump's Pick for Pa. Governor
Is an Eyebrow-Raising One
May 14, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Trump's Pick for Pa. Governor Is an Eyebrow-Raising One
Doug Mastriano has pushed lie of 2020 stolen election, said he'd make voters 'reregister' to vote
- Donald Trump on Saturday endorsed Doug Mastriano in Pennsylvania's Republican primary for governor, siding with a far-right candidate who was outside the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection and has worked with determination to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. Mastriano was already leading a crowded...
GOP Has 'Oh S---' Moment
Over Pa. Senate Candidate
May 13, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
GOP Has 'Oh S---' Moment Over Pa. Senate Candidate
Kathy Barnette, surging in polls, makes some Republicans nervous with controversial history
- The race between Pennsylvania Republicans for Pat Toomey's seat in the US Senate had seemed to narrow down to two men: TV doctor Mehmet Oz and Army vet David McCormick. But as these two candidates have been going after each other with vitriolic TV ads, another candidate has had...
Man Accused of Killing Wife
Wins His Primary in Indiana
May 6, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
Man Accused of Killing Wife Wins His Primary in Indiana
Andrew Wilhoite is jailed on murder charges following wife's death in March
- Andrew Wilhoite won his primary this week for one of three open seats on the Clinton Township Board in Indiana. But as the
reports, Wilhoite did so while jailed on charges that he murdered his wife in March. Prosecutors say the 40-year-old confessed to killing Nikki Wilhoite, 41,...
Mar 1, 2022 7:28 AM CST
McCarthy, McConnell Slam Fellow GOPers Over America First Event
'Unacceptable,' McCarthy said of Gosar, Taylor Greene's appearances at white nationalist forum
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has already received a slap on the wrist from the chairwoman of the RNC for her appearance Friday at a white nationalist conference. Now, the Georgia congresswoman—and fellow GOPer Rep. Paul Gosar, of Arizona, who appeared virtually at the America First Political Action Conference—are on...
GOP Censured 2 of Its Own,
and a Backlash Is Growing
Feb 8, 2022 10:25 AM CST
GOP Censured 2 of Its Own, and a Backlash Is Growing
Lindsey Graham is among those accusing the RNC of looking backward instead of forward
- The Republican National Committee's decision to censure two lawmakers from its own party is not sitting well with some big-name Republicans. Coverage in multiple outlets quotes GOP members of Congress who say the strike against Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger was misguided and could potentially hurt a party...
Sinema's $1.6M Q4 Haul
Is Feeling Some GOP Love
Feb 1, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Sinema's $1.6M Q4 Haul Is Feeling Some GOP Love
Ariz. senator sees donations from Fox News PAC, Republican 'whale' to her campaign, separate PAC
- It's no secret that, after bucking her own party on much of President Biden's agenda, Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is now bringing in cash from major GOP donors as she gears up for a reelection run in 2024. Now we know just how much, thanks to new Federal...
Ohio Supreme Court
Says Nope to GOP's
Jan 14, 2022 12:49 PM CST
Ohio Supreme Court Says Nope to GOP's District Map
Justices ruled that GOP-drawn congressional district blueprint was gerrymandered
- The Ohio Supreme Court rejected a new map of state congressional districts Friday as gerrymandered, sending the blueprint back for another try. In the 4-3 decision, justices returned the map to the powerful Ohio Redistricting Commission, or its map-drawing counterparts in the Legislature, and said they must assure the next...
New Target of Greene's
Wrath: a Fellow Republican
Nov 30, 2021 10:45 AM CST
New Target of Greene's Wrath: a Fellow Republican
And GOP Rep. Nancy Mace fires back, first by correcting her colleague's grammar flub
- GOP Rep. Nancy Mace of South Carolina is making all kinds of headlines this week, some for getting caught up in a dispute between fellow lawmakers and some for TV appearances in which she was accused of being two-faced on COVID. The details:
On Sunday, Mace criticized fellow GOP
Among Republicans, Worries
Raised About Infighting
Nov 18, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Among Republicans, Worries Raised About Infighting
Senate Republicans unhappy with counterparts in the House
- By most political forecasts—including this new one at
—Republicans stand a good chance of retaking the House next year. But another theme is emerging in coverage as well: Friction within the House GOP is getting worse and threatening to hurt the party's progress. The Hill...
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass.
In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Nov 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass. In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Alaska's Murkowski launches 2022 reelection campaign, with Trump endorsee Tshibaka looming
- Only one of seven Republican senators who found Donald Trump guilty in his second impeachment trial is up for reelection in 2022, and she's now officially made her bid, with a challenger who's been endorsed by the former president. Lisa Murkowski filed on Friday to run for her...
Kinzinger: I Was Ready to
Shoot Capitol Rioters
Nov 10, 2021 7:37 AM CST
Kinzinger: I Was Ready to Shoot Capitol Rioters
GOP congressman was 'prepared to defend against my own party' on Jan. 6 as he hid in office
- Adam Kinzinger was at the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 riot, and in a new interview with
, he reveals what was going through his head that day as he "hunkered down" in his office, hiding from the rioters. The 43-year-old Congressman from Illinois says he'd...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.