Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Most
Fun City in America
Dec 4, 2023 7:00 PM CST
This Is the Most Fun City in America
Las Vegas tops WalletHub's list
- "Work hard, play hard" isn't just a Wiz Khalifa song—it's the mantra of many a worker who needs hard-core recreation to look forward to to get through the workweek. That kind of fun is easy to find in certain cities, per WalletHub , which looked at 182...
Nov 27, 2023 2:51 PM CST
These Are the Most Sinful Cities in America
Las Vegas ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list, while Pearl City, Hawaii, proves most virtuous
- Christian teachings have long warned against the seven deadly sins, yet since the beginning of time, humans just can't seem to lick their related vices. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities are rife with people acting "illicitly," so it examined more than 180 of the largest...
After 3 Decades,
a Big Move
Nov 3, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
After 3 Decades, a Big Move for Bezos
Amazon founder is pulling up stakes and relocating from Seattle, where he's lived since 1994, to Miami
- Hear "Miami," and thoughts of palm trees, Cuban food, and art deco architecture all come to mind. Now, add Jeff Bezos to that list: The Amazon founder announced this week that he's moving to the South Florida city and ditching Seattle after almost 30 years, reports the...
These Are the
Spookiest Cities in America
Oct 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
These Are the Spookiest Cities in America
New York ascends to the top of WalletHub's rankings for where Halloween is king
- Ready to get your ghoul on? Halloween is on Tuesday, and people across the nation are prepping their costumes, breaking out the candy bowls, and cueing up "Monster Mash" for when trick-or-treaters arrive. If you're wondering which places really know how to get into the spooky spirit, WalletHub...
Privately Owned Rail Line
Begins Key Test in Florida
Sep 21, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Privately Owned Rail Line Begins Key Test in Florida
Brightline launching high-speed service between Miami and Orlando
- The first big test of whether a privately owned high-speed passenger train service can prosper in the United States will launch Friday when Florida's Brightline begins running trains between Miami and Orlando that reach speeds of 125mph. It's a $5 billion bet that Brightline's owner, Fortress Investment...
Cruise Ship Returns
Minus a Passenger
Sep 6, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Returns Minus a Passenger
Kevin McGrath last seen around 2am Monday aboard Carnival Conquest, bound for Miami
- A 26-year-old man has been reported missing after his Carnival cruise ship returned to Florida, apparently without him. Kevin McGrath left Miami aboard Carnival Conquest on Friday for a Labor Day weekend cruise to Bimini, in the Bahamas. However, McGrath wasn't accounted for when the ship returned to Miami...
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
Sep 5, 2023 4:08 PM CDT
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
The Sunshine State is well represented in the top 10, while the Golden State dominates the bottom
- Those lucky enough to be looking to retire might also be looking for the best places in which to do so—and maybe save a coin or two by relocating to a new location. WalletHub notes that the average age of American retirement has stretched from 60 in 1995 to...
Pilot Dies During
Aug 17, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Pilot Dies During Miami-Chile Flight
Plane lands in Panama for emergency care
- A veteran airline pilot died on a flight that had taken off from Miami on Monday,
reports. The LATAM Airlines plane, which was headed to Santiago, Chile, landed in Panama City, Panama, because one of its three command crew members had a medical emergency, airline officials said. First...
Mayor: Police Chief Offered to
Resign Before He Shot Himself
Jul 26, 2023 3:09 PM CDT
Mayor: Police Chief Offered to Resign Before He Shot Himself
Miami-Dade's top police official is recovering and 'regaining his strength,' mayor says
- Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava says the county's top police official offered his resignation hours before he tried to kill himself Sunday night. Police say Alfredo "Freddy" Ramirez, director of the Miami-Dade Police Department, shot himself after a dispute with his wife at a Tampa hotel. Levine...
Report: Miami's Police Chief
Shot Himself While With Wife
Jul 24, 2023 2:37 PM CDT
Report: Miami's Police Chief Shot Himself While With Wife
Mayor says Alfredo Freddy' Ramirez is in critical but stable condition
- The director of the Miami-Dade Police Department was in stable condition after surgery in a Tampa area hospital, the Miami-Dade mayor said Monday, amid reports from local media that he had shot himself. Alfredo "Freddy" Ramirez, 52, was in Tampa for a law enforcement conference, officials said. "Following...
Messi Seals Winning Debut
With Stunning Goal
Jul 22, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Messi Seals Winning Debut With Stunning Goal
Global star touches off Florida celebration in 94th minute
- Some people paid hundreds and even thousands of dollars to see Lionel Messi's debut for Inter Miami—and to be able to say they were there. The team's owners committed well over $100 million to have moments like this. So far, it looks like money well spent. Messi...
Girl, 6, Foils Would-Be
Kidnapper by Biting Him: Cops
Jul 11, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Girl, 6, Foils Would-Be Kidnapper by Biting Him: Cops
Miami suspect arrested on charges of kidnapping and child abuse
- As a 6-year-old girl sat on her apartment building's rear steps in Miami's Little Haiti neighborhood after playing outside in the complex's courtyard with her siblings Thursday night, Leonardo Venegas drove up and allegedly grabbed her. She fought him and pulled away, but he managed to start...
Call It Miami English:
'Get Down From the Car'
Jun 17, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Call It Miami English: 'Get Down From the Car'
Linguists detect new American dialect in South Florida, thanks to Spanish-English blending
- Americans all over the country might tell someone to "get out of the car." In South Florida, you might hear a slightly different version: "Get down from the car." Linguists say it's a not-random bit of slang—it's evidence of an emerging American dialect...
'Food for Everyone,'
but It Doesn't Pan Out
Jun 16, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Trump Promised 'Food for Everyone,' but It Doesn't Pan Out
He left Versailles in Miami before anyone could place an order, per 'Miami News Times'
- "Are you ready? Food for everyone!" shouted former President Trump as he visited Miami's Versailles restaurant following his arraignment on Tuesday. The cheers that followed signaled the crowd interpreted his words as a promise. Except that it didn't work out that way. Trump's 10-minute stop...
Conor McGregor Accused of
Sexual Assault at NBA Finals
Jun 16, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Conor McGregor Accused of Sexual Assault at NBA Finals
UFC fighter allegedly trapped woman in bathroom, forced oral sex, attempted anal rape
- The Miami Heat's mascot may not be the only person hurt by Conor McGregor at Game 4 of the NBA finals. A woman has accused the UFC star of "violently" sexually assaulting her in a Kaseya Center bathroom following the June 9 game, per TMZ . In letters sent...
After Arraignment, Trump
Made a 'Strategic Detour'
Jun 13, 2023 8:25 PM CDT
After Arraignment, Trump Made a 'Strategic Detour'
He greeted supporters at Cuban restaurant in Miami
- "Thank you Miami. Such a warm welcome on such a SAD DAY for our Country," former President Trump said on Truth Social after his Tuesday arraignment at a federal court, where pro and anti-Trump protesters gathered outside. After his not-guilty plea was entered, Trump flew to New Jersey...
Jun 7, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Lionel Messi Stuns Soccer, Joins MLS
Argentinian star announces he'll play for Miami Inter
- Lionel Messi has pulled off his latest stunning feat: He is headed to Major League Soccer, and joining Inter Miami. After months—years, even—of speculation, Messi finally revealed his decision to join a Miami franchise that has been led by another global soccer icon, David Beckham, since its inception...
New Zealand Loses It Over
Miami Zoo's Handling of a Kiwi
May 24, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
New Zealand Loses It Over Miami Zoo's Handling of a Kiwi
'We have offended a nation,' the zoo admitted
- Don't underestimate New Zealanders' love for the kiwi bird—or how fiercely they'll respond to the perceived mistreatment of it. And mistreatment is what they say occurred at Zoo Miami, which houses a kiwi named Paora. Though kiwis are "reclusive and nocturnal," per the
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
Looking to Start a Biz?
Check Out These Cities
Apr 30, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Looking to Start a Biz? Check Out These Cities
Orlando tops WalletHub's ranking of America's most startup-friendly places
- It's been a tough few years for business owners across the nation, from the pandemic to rising prices due to inflation. However, current challenges haven't stopped some from mulling over launching their own business—a sign of what WalletHub calls Americans' unstoppable "entrepreneurial streak." In an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.