Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Drop Out
Jan 13, 2022 5:05 PM CST
GOP Moves to Drop Out of Debates
Party considers making candidates sign a pledge to stay out of commission's events
- GOP unhappiness with the commission that runs the presidential debates reached a peak Thursday, when the Republican National Committee told the nonprofit it wants its candidates to sit out the event in the future. The committee told the nonprofit in a letter that it plans to require its candidates to...
Chief of Staff: Trump's Blood
Oxygen Level Hit 86%
Dec 7, 2021 1:34 AM CST
Chief of Staff: Trump's Blood Oxygen Level Hit 86%
In new book, Mark Meadows says Trump's COVID case got scarier than was revealed
Donald Trump's blood oxygen level dropped to about 86%, 10 points or so below what is considered normal, within hours of announcing he'd tested positive for COVID-19 last year, according to his former chief of staff. The
New York Times
has more details from Mark Meadows' book,...
Needs to Fix
Jun 2, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
RNC: Presidential Debates Group Needs to Fix 'Intolerable' Situation
Chair McDaniel says if debates aren't made more 'fair,' she'll advise GOP nominees not to take part
- The 2024 election is still awhile off, but the Republican National Committee is already making demands regarding that year's presidential debates. On Tuesday, RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates saying that big changes are needed for both the format of the debates...
Christie: I Might
Challenge Trump in '24
Dec 22, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Christie: I Might Challenge Trump in '24
'I would not rule it out'
- In President Trump's view, the 2020 election is still not settled. And yet, headlines about a potential 2024 contest already are surfacing. In a Monday interview with conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt, Chris Christie said he's considering a run in the next presidential election—even if...
Takeaways From the
Oct 23, 2020 6:23 AM CDT
Takeaways From the Trump-Biden Clash
President didn't get a game-changer, analysts say
- President Trump and Joe Biden shared a debate stage for the second and final time Thursday night—and it was a far more restrained affair than their first meeting, helped by the introduction of a mute button and widely praised moderating from NBC's Kristen Welker. With far fewer interruptions...
Even Trump Liked
Oct 23, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Even Trump Liked This Moderator
Kristen Welker is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews
- President Trump slammed Kristen Welker more than once in the lead-up to Thursday's debate, which she moderated. But once she started actually moderating, he ended up being among those giving her positive reviews. "By the way, so far I respect very much the way you’re handling this,...
Some Notable Lines
From Final Debate
Oct 22, 2020 9:53 PM CDT
Some Notable Lines From Final Debate
Biden promises to bring 'BidenCare'
- The second presidential debate was a marked changed from the first one, with few interruptions as the candidates covered a range of topics, including COVID and corruption . Late in the forum, President Trump sought to score points on energy by asking Joe Biden if he would shut down the oil...
Trump Tests New
Nickname for Biden
Oct 22, 2020 8:55 PM CDT
Trump Tests New Nickname for Biden
Calls rival 'the big man' while alleging unethical business deals
- President Trump again pressed his case during Thursday night's debate that Joe and Hunter Biden acted unethically in regard to Hunter's business dealings. At one point, he referred to the elder Biden as "the big man" and suggested that he has orchestrated global deals that were enriching...
Trump Brings Notable
Special Guest to Debate
Oct 22, 2020 8:31 PM CDT
Trump Brings Notable Special Guest to Debate
He invites Hunter Biden's former business partner to final showdown
- The second and final debate between President Trump and Joe Biden is underway, this time with one big rule change : A candidate's mic can be muted to ensure his rival can speak. In the first half hour, however, the tone has been civil relative to the first debate.
What to Expect in the
Final Presidential Debate
Oct 22, 2020 5:01 AM CDT
What to Expect in the Final Presidential Debate
Allies hope for new tone from Trump
- After a chaotic first debate and a second one that was replaced by dueling town halls, President Trump and Joe Biden will meet for a final debate in Nashville Thursday night. Under a rule change , each candidate's mic will be muted for the first two minutes their rival speaks...
Trump Doesn't Like Debate
Rule, but He'll Participate
Oct 20, 2020 6:50 AM CDT
Trump Doesn't Like Debate Rule, but He'll Participate
Candidates' microphones will be muted at times, to prevent interruptions
- President Trump won't be able to interrupt Joe Biden this time around—at least, not for the first two minutes of each of the six debate segments Thursday night. The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates has changed its rules so that each candidate will get those two minutes of...
Trump Getting Very Specific
Advice for Upcoming Debate
Oct 19, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
Trump Getting Very Specific Advice for Upcoming Debate
Advisers want him to let Joe Biden speak more
- The final debate between President Trump and Joe Biden takes place Thursday night, and the president's team suggests viewers will see a different tone from him. The key part of the plan is for Trump to interrupt Joe Biden less often , reports Politico . "I do think that President...
A Lot of People Had Same
Thought on Those Town Halls
Oct 16, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
A Lot of People Had Same Thought on Those Town Halls
They were 'like a choose-your-own-ending book,' says one analysis
- Thursday's night presidential town halls were very different from each other, and a similar theme has emerged in the political post-mortems. What was originally supposed to be a face-to-face debate "morphed into a long-distance study in contrasts," write Alexander Burns and Katie Glueck at the
Trump, Biden Ready for
Rare, Simultaneous Town Halls
Oct 15, 2020 6:53 PM CDT
Trump, Biden Ready for Rare, Simultaneous Town Halls
Trump is on NBC, Biden on ABC
- Thursday night was supposed to be the second debate between President Trump and Joe Biden, but those plans got scrapped after the president's COVID diagnosis. Instead, the nation gets the unusual spectacle of simultaneous town halls on different networks:
His town hall begins at 8pm ET on ABC
Biden, Trump to Hold
Dueling Town Halls
Oct 14, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Biden, Trump to Hold Dueling Town Halls
NBC News announces it will host the president's event, prompting instant online backlash
- After it was announced that the second debate between President Trump and Joe Biden, originally set for Thursday, was canceled due to Trump refusing a virtual format, Biden decided to do his own town hall that night in Philly instead, to air on ABC News. Now, NBC News reports that...
Commission: We're Moving
Straight to Debate No. 3
Oct 10, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Commission: We're Moving Straight to Debate No. 3
2nd debate between Trump and Biden nixed after Trump refuses virtual format
- First came the decision to make the second debate virtual between President Trump and former VP Joe Biden. Now, an update: There's won't be a debate at all. Per CNN , the Commission on Presidential Debates has nixed the debate scheduled for Oct. 15 after Trump said he wouldn'...
Trump's Debate Boycott
Could Backfire, GOP Fears
Oct 9, 2020 6:56 AM CDT
Trump's Debate Boycott Could Backfire, GOP Fears
He needs debate more than Biden does, analysts say
- President Trump's decision to boycott the second presidential debate with Joe Biden because it was to be held virtually has flummoxed Republican strategists, who say that with Trump behind in the polls, he's the one who needs a game-changing moment. "While an online debate is clearly problematic,...
'Put His Foot' in
My 'Delicious Cake'
Oct 2, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Wallace: Trump 'Put His Foot' in My 'Delicious Cake'
'I had baked this beautiful, delicious cake and frankly, the president put his foot in it'
- Chris Wallace says that when President Trump first engaged with Joe Biden in Tuesday night's debate, he was pleased because he "thought we were gonna have a real debate here." He was less thrilled over the next 94 minutes of the chaotic debate, during which he says...
Weird Al Sums Up
Debate as Only He Can
Oct 1, 2020 6:47 AM CDT
Weird Al Sums Up Debate as Only He Can
Yankovic 'moderates' first debate between Trump and Biden
- There's perhaps no one better to sum up the first presidential debate of 2020 than Weird Al Yankovic. And that's what he does to hilarious effect in a new video for the
New York Times
titled "America Is Doomed." It features the catchy refrain, "Who'...
Oct 1, 2020 12:41 AM CDT
Chris Wallace Does Some 'Soul-Searching'
The 'Fox News Sunday' anchor talks about moderating the presidential debate
- It's "soul-searching" time for Chris Wallace. The
Fox News Sunday
anchor admits he struggled to moderate last night's presidential debate—a contentious affair that one pundit called "two old men shouting at each other"—but he isn't apologizing or taking all the blame. "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.