Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Who's In, Who's Out
for 4th GOP Debate
Dec 5, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Who's In, Who's Out for 4th GOP Debate
Former President Trump is skipping again
- The field of candidates onstage for the fourth Republican presidential debate will be the smallest yet, the AP reports. Four hopefuls will participate in Wednesday night's debate at the Moody Music Hall at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, according to the Republican National Committee. To qualify for the...
Winners, Losers From
the 3rd GOP Debate
Nov 9, 2023 6:13 AM CST
Winners, Losers From the 3rd GOP Debate
Pundits say Nikki Haley had a good night
- Republican presidential candidates gathered in Miami on Wednesday for their third debate, minus former President Trump, who is polling higher than all his rivals put together—and for the third time, Trump was widely seen as a winner. While Chris Christie, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Vivek Ramaswamy, and Tim Scott...
On Abortion, Differences
on Push for a Federal Ban
Nov 8, 2023 9:25 PM CST
On Abortion, Differences on Push for a Federal Ban
Tim Scott calls for a 15-week limit, but Nikki Haley tells him it's politically impossible
- The five GOP candidates in Wednesday night's debate were asked about abortion in the last portion of the forum, and while a pro-life sentiment was dominant, differences emerged:
The former South Carolina governor said she was pro-life and supported federal restrictions, but she also offered what the
How the 5 Candidates
Would Handle Israel-Hamas
Nov 8, 2023 8:45 PM CST
How the 5 Candidates Would Handle Israel-Hamas
Netanyahu should 'finish the job,' says DeSantis, and others agree
- One issue the five GOP candidates on stage Wednesday night agree upon appears to be Israel, or more specifically the need to wipe out Hamas. All were asked how they would respond to the Israel-Hamas situation:
He said Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu should "finish the job once
'Leave My Daughter
Out of Your Voice'
Nov 8, 2023 8:18 PM CST
'Leave My Daughter Out of Your Voice'
Haley slams Ramaswamy as 'scum' after he says her daughter is on TikTok
- At the last GOP debate, Nikki Haley got off one of the night's more memorable lines at the expense of Vivek Ramaswamy by saying, "Every time I hear you, I feel a little bit dumber." On Wednesday night, Ramaswamy went after the former UN ambassador early, referring...
DeSantis: 'I'm Sick
of Republicans Losing'
Nov 8, 2023 7:35 PM CST
DeSantis: 'I'm Sick of Republicans Losing'
Florida governor goes after Trump in debate's first question
- Republican debate No. 3 is underway, with a smaller field of candidates—five—though none of them named Donald Trump. In the first question of the night, Lester Holt of NBC News asked each candidate why they should be the nominee instead of Trump. Some highlights:
Trump Holds Rally
as GOP Candidates
Gather for 3rd Debate
Nov 8, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Trump Holds Rally as GOP Candidates Gather for 3rd Debate
This time, it's down to 5 candidates
- It's time for the third Republican presidential debate , and there's going to be an even smaller lineup onstage than the last gathering . The two-hour debate will start at 8pm ET. It's being moderated by NBC's Lester Holt and Kristen Welker, as well as nationally syndicated Salem...
GOP Debate Stage Loses
One More Candidate
Nov 7, 2023 7:49 AM CST
GOP Debate Stage Loses One More Candidate
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum didn't meet polling requirements for Miami event but soldiers on
- Just five candidates are expected to take to their podiums in Miami this week for the third GOP presidential debate, and Doug Burgum isn't one of them. KMOT reports that the North Dakota governor didn't fulfill all of the polling requirements to qualify for the Wednesday matchup, with...
Fewer Than 10M Watch
GOP Presidential Debate
Sep 28, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Fewer Than 10M Watch GOP Presidential Debate
GOP candidates still outdraw regular TV programming
- About 9.5 million people watched the Republican presidential debate Wednesday night over all platforms, a decline of 27% from the 13 million who tuned in for the first debate in August. That means the first two GOP debates this cycle attracted half the audience of the first two debates...
One Sign Haley
Goes on Attack
Sep 28, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
One Sign Haley Is Gaining Traction: Trump Goes on Attack
Former president's campaign criticizes her on multiple issues after debate performance
- In the eyes of most observers, Nikki Haley acquitted herself well Wednesday night for the second GOP debate. Maybe the most telling evidence of that is that the campaign of Donald Trump made a point to go after her with a statement titled "The Real Nikki Haley." Among...
Winners, Losers From
the GOP Debate
Sep 28, 2023 6:36 AM CDT
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Analysts say it was another good night for Trump
- Republican presidential candidates, minus frontrunner former President Trump, debated again on Wednesday night—and as in last month's debate in Milwaukee, Trump is being seen as perhaps the night's biggest winner. "This was another debate where the guy leading by 40 points was not onstage and took...
Candidates Refuse Final
Request From Moderators
Sep 27, 2023 10:16 PM CDT
Candidates Refuse Final Request From Moderators
They were asked to write down which candidate should be voted 'off the island'
- The three moderators of the GOP debate often struggled to keep the seven candidates from talking over each other Wednesday night, and the candidates united to refuse a final request from the trio. Moderator Dana Perino asked them all to write down the name of a candidate on stage who...
'Every Time I Hear You,
I Feel a Little Bit Dumber'
Sep 27, 2023 9:57 PM CDT
'Every Time I Hear You, I Feel a Little Bit Dumber'
Nikki Haley takes a shot at Vivek Ramaswamy
- It will be surely be one of the most repeated lines of the night: "Every time I hear you, I feel a little bit dumber," Nikki Haley told Vivek Ramaswamy on Wednesday during the GOP debate. The shot came as Ramaswamy defended his decision to join TikTok even...
Chris Christie Floats
New Nickname for Trump
Sep 27, 2023 9:11 PM CDT
Chris Christie Floats New Nickname for Trump
'We're going to call you Donald Duck' for ducking the GOP debates
- Yes, the seven GOP candidates on stage are fielding a wide range of questions on policy—and talking over each other quite a bit—but an absent Donald Trump is surfacing as a topic, too. Chris Christie, for example, even floated a derisive new nickname for the former president. Speaking...
DeSantis Goes After Trump
at First Opportunity in Debate
Sep 27, 2023 8:37 PM CDT
DeSantis Goes After Trump at First Opportunity in Debate
Governor says former president is 'missing in action' at second debate
- The second Republican debate is underway, the big question being whether any of the seven candidates on stage can make any real traction against absent frontrunner Donald Trump. While Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was the very last candidate to speak Wednesday night, he made a point to go after Trump...
In GOP Rematch, 'the Sand Is
Going Through the Hourglass'
Sep 27, 2023 6:50 AM CDT
In GOP Rematch, 'the Sand Is Going Through the Hourglass'
Time is running out to gain ground on Trump as 2nd Republican presidential debate takes place
- The way things stood Monday remain how they stand just hours before the Republican presidential debate Wednesday in California, with two notable candidates not expected to take the stage. FOX 26 Houston reports that former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson didn't make the cut, while former President Trump, far and...
2nd GOP Debate
Will Be Missing 2 Candidates
Sep 26, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
2nd GOP Debate Will Be Missing 2 Candidates
One by choice, the other because he didn't make the cut
- When Republicans take the stage Wednesday night for the second debate of the 2024 primary season, there will be one fewer candidate. Asa Hutchinson, the former Arkansas governor who participated in the first debate, did not make the cut for Wednesday's, so he'll be holding a press conference...
Will Be Test
for Her, Too
Sep 25, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
GOP Debate Will Be Test for Her, Too
Dana Perino of Fox News is in the spotlight Wednesday night
- The second Republican debate takes place Wednesday night, and the
New York Times
sees it as a challenge not only for the candidates, but as perhaps the "biggest test" yet as a journalist for moderator Dana Perino. Coverage:
Nuts and bolts:
The debate begins at 9pm ET on Fox
The GOP Debate
Was Feisty. Who Won?
Aug 24, 2023 8:41 AM CDT
The GOP Debate Was Feisty. Who Won?
Former President Trump is the 'clear winner,' per Vox
- Without former President Trump on stage, the eight "underdogs" taking part in the first Republican presidential primary debate Wednesday in Milwaukee had the opportunity to "differentiate themselves in the field," reports the
New York Times
. Many seized on the chance and "at certain points, you could...
Who Got the Most, and
Least, Talking Time in Debate
Aug 23, 2023 10:42 PM CDT
Who Got the Most, and Least, Talking Time in Debate
Mike Pence finishes first, ahead of Vivek Ramaswamy
- The first debate of the 2024 campaign is in the books, and the assessments will be pouring in over the next 24 hours. One aspect of the debate, however, is indisputable: the amount of talking time each candidate got. By this measure, former VP Mike Pence finished first by quite...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.