Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's a First for Apple, but
One the Company Fought
Jun 19, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
It's a First for Apple, but One the Company Fought
Workers in Maryland vote to create a labor union
- This is one trend that Apple wanted no part of—workers at one of its retail stores in Maryland have voted to create the company's first labor union. Employees at the Towson store near Baltimore voted 65-33 on Saturday to create the Apple Coalition of Organized Retail Employees, which...
Apple Won't Like New
EU Rule on Charging Cords
Jun 8, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Apple Won't Like New EU Rule on Charging Cords
USB-C cable will be required for devices, from phones to headphones to GPS units, from 2024
- Forget rummaging through the junk drawer. Soon, Europeans will need to reach for just one cable to charge their smartphones and other devices, the AP reports. European Union officials said they inked a provisional agreement Tuesday that will require a uniform charging cord in the 27-nation bloc. The new rules,...
Apple to Let You 'Unsend'
a Text for First Time
Jun 7, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Apple to Let You 'Unsend' a Text for First Time
Feature, along with the ability to edit texts, will be part of iOS16 update
- Apple unveiled a series of updates on the way for various products Monday, but the ones drawing the most attention involve texting. For the first time, iPhone users will be able to edit and even "unsend" texts, reports the Verge . However, they'll have to act fast: "Users...
Apple Previews Changes
to iPhone Software
Jun 6, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Apple Previews Changes to iPhone Software
iOS 16 will give screen a new look
- Apple on Monday provided a peek at upcoming tweaks to the software that powers more than 1 billion iPhones and rolled out two laptops that will be the first available with the next generation of a company-designed microprocessor. As usual, Apple spent most of the opening day of its annual...
Parents Sue Apple
May 18, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Parents Sue Apple After Allegedly Damaging Amber Alert
Say the volume of it tore their then-12-year-old's eardrum
- A Texas couple is blaming their 12-year-old son's "permanent hearing loss" on Apple, and on Monday they sued. Carlos Gordoa and Ariani Reyes of San Antonio allege their now-14-year-old, identified as BG, was watching Netflix on his iPhone using his AirPods Pro in 2020 when an Amber Alert...
Most Valuable Company on the
Planet Isn't American Anymore
May 12, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
Most Valuable Company on the Planet Isn't American Anymore
Apple is replaced by Saudi Arabia's Aramco
- Two years ago, Apple passed Saudi energy giant Aramco to become the world's most valuable company. But with the ongoing rout of tech stocks, Aramco has just reclaimed the symbolic title, reports the BBC . Apple is currently valued at $2.3 trillion, and Aramco at $2.4 trillion. Don'...
Time to Say
May 10, 2022 6:16 PM CDT
Time to Say Goodbye to the iPod
Apple is discontinuing device after 21 years
- Some 21 years after Apple introduced a device that the company boasted could "put 1,000 songs in your pocket," it's time to say goodbye to the iPod. Apple announced Tuesday that the iconic device is being discontinued, though it will still be available online and at...
Mar 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Tim Cook Just Dunked on Netflix, Amazon
Oscar win for his platform's 'CODA' gives him bragging rights ahead of older rivals
won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday, it handed a huge victory to Tim Cook and his Apple+ streaming platform. After all, Cook "triumphed just two and a half years after formally entering the film and TV business," writes Matthew Belloni at Puck . He trumped...
Ex-Employee Charged With
Defrauding Apple of $10M
Mar 19, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Ex-Employee Charged With Defrauding Apple of $10M
Dhirendra Prasad worked a buyer in the supply chain
- A former Apple employee has been charged with defrauding the tech giant out of more than $10 million by taking kickbacks, stealing equipment and laundering money, federal prosecutors said. Dhirendra Prasad, 52, worked for 10 years as a buyer in Apple's Global Service Supply Chain department. A federal criminal...
New iPhone SE,
Mar 8, 2022 7:04 PM CST
Apple Announces New iPhone SE, MLB Deal
New version of budget iPhone will be faster but also more expensive
- Apple on Tuesday unveiled a new version of its budget-priced iPhone that's capable of connecting to ultrafast 5G wireless networks, an upgrade that's already been available on the company’s upscale models for more than a year. The latest iPhone SE marks the first upgrade to the bare-bones...
Pay Off for
Feb 26, 2022 3:55 PM CST
Buybacks Pay Off for Buffett, Berkshire
Apple investment is working out, too, annual letter to shareholders says
- Warren Buffett has made plenty of major acquisitions, but he told shareholders Saturday that he hasn't run across any exciting big deals lately. So he and Vice Chairman Charlie Munger have been putting Berkshire Hathaway's cash to use buying back company shares, he told shareholders in his annual...
Tim Cook's Compensation
Should Alarm Investors: Firm
Feb 17, 2022 4:16 PM CST
Tim Cook's Compensation Should Alarm Investors: Firm
He received $99M in 2021, or 1,447 times the wage of an average Apple worker
- Apple shareholders are urged to raise a stink about a $99 million pay package awarded last year to CEO Tim Cook, who's already reportedly worth more than $1 billion. In a letter to shareholders published Wednesday, proxy advisory firm Institutional Shareholder Services said there are "significant concerns" about...
Peloton Shares Surge
Amid Buyout Rumors
Feb 7, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Peloton Shares Surge Amid Buyout Rumors
Amazon, Nike are among the reported suitors
- Peloton is back in the news, but not because of another fictional heart attack . This time, it's because the company's stock is surging amid takeover rumors, reports CNBC . Shares were up more than 25% in trading Monday after multiple reports—including in the
Wall Street Journal
Believed to Be
in California, Armed
Jan 26, 2022 1:24 AM CST
Tim Cook's Alleged Stalker Believed to Be in California, Armed
Apple CEO granted restraining order against the 45-year-old Virginia woman
- Apple CEO Tim Cook has been granted a restraining order against a woman accused of stalking him—and whom Apple believes is currently somewhere in Silicon Valley, armed. The 45-year-old Virginia woman has allegedly sent Cook threatening emails including pictures of a loaded gun and threats to burn down his...
This Year's Stock Market Rise
Has a Potential Hitch
Dec 21, 2021 11:16 AM CST
This Year's Stock Market Rise Has a Potential Hitch
It hinges on 5 big stocks, which makes investors worried
- If your 401(k) has done well in 2021, a Goldman Sachs analysis points to five key reasons:
Apple Delays Office
Return for 5th Time.
This Time It's Indefinite
Dec 16, 2021 7:56 AM CST
Apple Delays Office Return for 5th Time. This Time It's Indefinite
Employees, originally told to plan for February return, will also get $1K bonus, per CEO Tim Cook
- First the date for Apple employees to return to the office was set for last June . That ended up getting shifted to September, and then three more times after that, with the latest target mapped out for Feb. 1. Now, once more thanks to COVID, yet another postponement, and this...
Report: Apple Is Working
on Fully Self-Driving Car
Nov 22, 2021 1:29 PM CST
Report: Apple Is Working on Fully Self-Driving Car
Sources say company plans to launch by 2025
- Apple's secretive "Project Titan" car team has shifted gears, insiders say. Sources tell Bloomberg that the team is now concentrating on creating a fully self-driving vehicle and aims to launch it by 2025. Bloomberg's sources say the company recently reached a "key milestone in developing the...
Nov 21, 2021 12:10 PM CST
Apple Shifts on Muzzling Employees
Internal post affirms right to discuss pay with colleagues or outside the company
- In the face of an employee movement on the issue, Apple has told its workers that nothing in its rules restricts them from freely discussing working conditions and pay, inside or outside the company. The post went up on an internal site Friday evening, CNN reports. "Our policies do...
Apple Flips on Right to Repair,
Will Sell Parts to Consumers
Nov 17, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Apple Flips on Right to Repair, Will Sell Parts to Consumers
Program to start with iPhone 12 and 13 next year, then add Macs
- In a victory for the right-to-repair movement, as well as owners of Apple products, the company soon will permit DIY repairs. Apple announced Wednesday that it will provide instructions on home repairs, as well as start selling more than 200 parts and the necessary tools, the Verge reports. Until now,...
In a Shot at Apple, Europe
Plans New Law on Chargers
Sep 23, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
In a Shot at Apple, Europe Plans New Law on Chargers
Legislation would require that phones, etc., use universal charger, a USB-C
- Anyone who's fought with a tangle of wires hunting for the right charger may find themselves cheering a proposed law in Europe: It would require that all phones, tablets, and all other such electronic devices use the same type of charger—a USB-C, reports the BBC . Apple is already...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Firm Parts With Lawyers Who Won Gun Case
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
This Is the Healthiest County in America
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.