Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DEA's Most Corrupt
Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Nov 27, 2022 4:40 PM CST
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Jose Irizarry on how he turned the 'unwinnable' drug war into 'a very fun game'
- José Irizarry accepts that he's known as the most corrupt agent in Drug Enforcement Administration history, admitting he "became another man" in conspiring with Colombian cartels to build a lavish lifestyle of expensive sports cars, Tiffany jewels, and paramours around the world. But as he used his final...
'Despicable' Former Judges
Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Aug 17, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
'Despicable' Former Judges Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Pennsylvania judges received kickbacks for sending children to for-profit jails
- Two former Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people they victimized in one of the worst judicial scandals in US history. US District Judge Christopher Conner awarded $106 million...
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,'
Riddled With Corruption
Mar 6, 2022 2:50 PM CST
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,' Riddled With Corruption
Report: Corruption, fraud, and gross mismanagement risked employee lives
- In 2014, as ISIS was at the height of its power in Iraq, Swedish telecom giant Ericsson forged ahead with development of its 5G infrastructure in the region. In the process, it was likely stuffing cash into the pockets of ISIS militants. A leaked internal investigation report obtained by the...
Feds: Hawaii Lawmakers Took
Dirty Money for Cesspool Bills
Feb 9, 2022 6:45 PM CST
Feds: Hawaii Lawmakers Took Dirty Money for Cesspool Bills
Both men expected to plead guilty to taking bribes
- A Hawaii state senator and a state representative took bribes including envelopes of cash, Las Vegas hotel rooms, and New Orleans casino chips in exchange for shaping legislation that would benefit a company involved in publicly financed cesspool conversion projects, according to federal allegations filed in court. Former Senate Majority...
Boss Gets 30 Years
Nov 26, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Brazil's Ex-Olympic Boss Gets 30 Years
Former Rio governor among others sentenced to jail for corruption
- Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee for more than two decades, was sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for allegedly buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics. The ruling by Judge Marcelo Bretas became public Thursday, per the AP...
His Case Helped
Oust a President.
Now He's Free
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
His Case Helped Oust a President. Now He's Free on Parole
Samsung's Lee Jae-yong out of prison after 18 months of 30-month sentence
- Samsung leader Lee Jae-yong walked out of prison Friday a year early, in a parole decision showing the conglomerate's outsize influence in South Korea. Lee left the prison near Seoul to a barrage of camera flashes and bowed in apology over the anger ignited by his case, related to...
Aug 3, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Convicted Governor Sues Illinois
Rod Blagojevich wants the right to run for office again
- This time, Rod Blagojevich is taking Illinois to court. The former governor, who served eight years in prison on corruption convictions before his sentence was commuted by former President Trump, filed a federal lawsuit Monday to regain the right to run for elective office, the
reports. That required...
He Once Ruled South Africa.
Now, a Prison Sentence
Jun 29, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
He Once Ruled South Africa. Now, a Prison Sentence
High court finds Jacob Zuma in contempt of court in corruption case, gives him 15 months in jail
- Jacob Zuma's legal problems just worsened. Last month, the former president of South Africa pleaded not guilty to corruption, fraud, and other charges tied to a multibillion-dollar arms deal in 1999, when he was the deputy president. On Tuesday, the Constitutional Court of South Africa, the nation's highest...
Restaurant Staff Arrested After
Refusing Police Burger Demand
Jun 16, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Restaurant Staff Arrested After Refusing Police Burger Demand
9 officers in Pakistan have now been suspended
- A burger restaurant in Pakistan is being praised for taking a stand against corrupt cops. Gohar Iqbal, chief executive of the Johnny & Jugnu chain, says the full on-shift staff of one of its three Lahore restaurants was arrested after refusing to give free burgers to a group of police...
Nearly Half of New
US COVID Cases
Are in Just 5 States
Apr 7, 2021 1:44 PM CDT
Nearly Half of New US COVID Cases Are in Just 5 States
That would be New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey
- Nearly half of new coronavirus infections nationwide are in just five states—a situation that's putting pressure on the federal government to consider changing how it distributes vaccines. New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation's new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,...
France's Nicolas Sarkozy
Receives Jail Sentence
Mar 1, 2021 7:25 AM CST
France's Nicolas Sarkozy Receives Jail Sentence
Former president gets one year, but he can request to serve home confinement
- A Paris court on Monday found former French President Nicolas Sarkozy guilty of corruption and influence peddling and sentenced him to one year in prison and a two-year suspended sentence, per the AP . The 66-year-old politician, who was president from 2007 to 2012, was convicted for having tried to illegally...
3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Jan 18, 2021 8:17 AM CST
Samsung Billionaire's 3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Lee Jae-yong's retrial in S. Korea corruption scandal earns him 2.5 years more in prison
- Billionaire Samsung scion Lee Jae-yong was sent back to prison on Monday after a South Korean court handed him a 2.5-year sentence for his involvement in a 2016 corruption scandal that spurred massive protests and ousted South Korea's then-president. In a much-anticipated retrial, the Seoul High Court found...
After Scandals, Pope Revamps
Vatican's Finance Intel Unit
Dec 5, 2020 8:30 AM CST
After Scandals, Pope Revamps Vatican's Finance Intel Unit
It's part of pontiff's efforts to prevent and counter 'money laundering and the financing of terrorism'
- Pope Francis has revamped the Holy See's financial intelligence and anti-money-laundering unit following financial scandals, including an ongoing in-house corruption probe, Vatican officials said Saturday. The changes involve the governance and organization of the unit, which has been renamed the Supervisory and Financial Information Authority, or ASIF, the Vatican...
Money' in His
Oct 17, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Senator Had 'Stacks of Money' in His Underwear, Police Say
Sen. Chico Rodrigues finds himself suspended in Brazil
- A Brazilian lawmaker stepped down from his position representing President Jair Bolsonaro's government and was suspended from the senate, after police searched his house and found cash inside the underwear he was wearing, the AP reports. Federal police targeted Roraima state's Sen. Chico Rodrigues as part of a...
Tokyo's Winning Olympics Bid
Linked to Big, Alleged Bribe
Sep 25, 2020 11:09 AM CDT
Tokyo's Winning Olympics Bid Linked to Big, Alleged Bribe
$2.3M was paid to consulting firm linked to IAAF officials convicted of corruption
- A former head of the largest Olympic sports federation and his son have been convicted in France of accepting $4 million in bribes from athletes in exchange for hiding positive doping tests. And from that case has sprung another claim of corruption, this one tied to Tokyo's bid for...
Bad News for
in First Trial
Jul 28, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Bad News for Malaysia's Ex-PM in First Trial
Najib Razak found guilty on all counts
- A Malaysian court pronounced former Prime Minister Najib Razak guilty Tuesday in his first corruption trial over the multibillion-dollar looting of the 1MDB investment fund, the AP reports. The ruling came five months after a new government took power with Najib’s Malay party the biggest bloc in the alliance....
This Case Is
May 24, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
Netanyahu: This Case Is 'Fabricated'
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu goes on trial
- Israel's prime minister arrived in a Jerusalem court Sunday and denounced the corruption case against him—along with officials, journalists, and police he claims fabricated the evidence, the
Times of Israel
reports. "Elements in the police and State Attorney’s Office banded together with left-wing journalists ... to fabricate...
This Political Protest
Includes Social Distancing
Apr 25, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
This Political Protest Includes Social Distancing
Thousands of people oppose the new unity-government deal in Israel
- Several thousand Israelis rallied Saturday to demonstrate against a unity government deal reached last week that leaves Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in power as he prepares to go on trial for corruption charges, the AP reports. The protesters oppose having Netanyahu as prime minister as long as he is a...
Sentenced to 8 Years
Apr 7, 2020 3:03 PM CDT
Ecuador's Ex-President Sentenced to 8 Years
Rafael Correa, 19 others guilty of corruption
- Former Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa moved to Belgium after leaving office in 2017—and a court judgment Tuesday makes it unlikely that he will soon return to his homeland, let alone return to politics. A court found Correa, first elected in 2007, guilty of corruption and sentenced him to eight...
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts
in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Feb 22, 2020 11:30 AM CST
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday
- A once-standout US federal narcotics agent known for spending lavishly on luxury cars and Tiffany jewelry has been arrested on charges of conspiring to launder money with the same Colombian drug cartel he was supposed to be fighting, the AP reports. Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Wolf Researchers: 'We Just Open-Mouthed Stared at Each Other'
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
One of US' Oldest Kidnapping Cases Has a Surprise Ending
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.