Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sealed in Death
of Naomi Judd
Aug 12, 2022 4:23 PM CDT
Family Wants Police Reports Sealed in Death of Naomi Judd
Family tells court release of information on police investigation would be traumatic
- The family of country singer Naomi Judd filed a court petition Friday to seal police reports and recordings made during the investigation into her death. The family filed the petition in Williamson County Chancery Court, saying that the records contain video and audio interviews with relatives in the immediate aftermath...
Sheriff: No Foul Play
in Teen's Gym Mat Death
Jan 27, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Sheriff: No Foul Play in Teen's Gym Mat Death
Mother of Kendrick Johnson doesn't buy it
There is no evidence of foul play in the 2013 death of Kendrick Johnson , whose body was found upside-down inside a rolled-up gym mat at his Georgia high school, Lowndes County Sheriff Ashley Paulk concluded Wednesday. He spoke after conducting a review of an FBI investigation six years ago...
Sister of Gabby Petito's
Fiance Speaks Out
Sep 17, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Sister of Gabby Petito's Fiance Speaks Out
'I wish I could talk to him,' Cassie Laundrie told GMA,' saying she hasn't had correspondence
- Brian Laundrie is now considered a person of interest in the disappearance of 22-year-old Gabby Petito, who didn't come home with him after their cross-country trip this summer, but he's still not talking—to authorities, to Petito's family, or to the public. His parents, whom he shares...
Phoenix Police Also Are In
for a Federal Investigation
Aug 5, 2021 5:06 PM CDT
Phoenix Police Also Are In for a Federal Investigation
Garland announces third review of a city's law enforcement activities
- The US Justice Department is launching a widespread probe into the police force in Phoenix to examine whether officers have been using excessive force and abusing people experiencing homelessness. The investigation into the City of Phoenix and the Phoenix Police Department is the third sweeping civil investigation into a law...
DOJ Will Investigate the
Minneapolis Police Department
Apr 21, 2021 10:49 AM CDT
DOJ Will Investigate the Minneapolis Police Department
Merrick Garland announces 'pattern or practice' probe
- Attorney General Merrick Garland on Wednesday announced a wide-ranging DOJ investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department, saying the verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial "does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis." And that's exactly what the DOJ "pattern or practice" investigation will attempt to...
Chief Slams Detective
for 'Appalling Lack
Dec 6, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Chief Slams Detective for 'Appalling Lack of Judgment'
It all revolves around a 'dead pool'
- A Connecticut police detective ran into trouble when he tried to establish a "Major Crimes Dead Pool" by inviting colleagues to place bets on where the city's first murder of 2021 would take place. The detective, who has not been named, was charged with violating the Hartford Police...
Reward for Arson
Suspects Now at $40K,
but Still No Progress
Nov 11, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Reward for Arson Suspects Now at $40K, but Still No Progress
'There's been nothing' in case of fire that killed 5 family members in Denver
- Authorities have yet to solve an arson that killed five family members in Denver in August despite a $40,000 reward. Police say three masked individuals started the fire that killed Djibril Diol, 29; his partner, Adja Diol, 23; their toddler daughter Khadija; Djibril's sister, Hassan Diol, 25; and...
Cops Allegedly Posed
at Elijah McClain Memorial
Jun 30, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Cops Allegedly Posed at Elijah McClain Memorial
They reportedly re-enacted fatal chokehold, and all are under investigation
- Three police officers are under investigation in Aurora, Colorado, after they were photographed near the site of Elijah McClain's fatal encounter with police , reports CBS Denver . Reporter Brian Maass says the photos show officers reenacting the chokehold used on the 23-year-old. The site where he died is now a...
Mayor: Let's Charge
the 'I Can't Breathe' Cop
May 27, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Mayor: Let's Charge the 'I Can't Breathe' Cop
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey weighed in after protesters hit the streets
- The mayor of Minneapolis called Wednesday for criminal charges to be filed against the white police officer seen on video kneeling on the neck of a handcuffed black man during an arrest, even after the man said he couldn't breathe and stopped moving, the AP reports. Based on the...
Police Ruse 'Shocked
the Conscience': Report
Jan 11, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Police Ruse 'Shocked the Conscience': Report
Seattle officer made up a story to track down a hit-and-run suspect
- A Seattle police officer who apparently used a ruse for "fun" may have contributed to a man's suicide, CNN reports. An internal police probe says it all began when two officers approached a West Seattle woman's house in 2018 to ask about her connection with a man...
UK Cops to Get New Crack
at US Diplomat's Wife
Oct 22, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
UK Cops to Get New Crack at US Diplomat's Wife
Anne Sacoolas requested interview 'under caution' in US
- British police will get another interview with the US diplomat's wife involved in the car crash that killed 19-year-old Harry Dunn—just not in the UK. Anne Sacoolas requested to be interviewed by Northamptonshire Police in the US, where officers are now traveling, Sky News reports. The outlet notes...
Garner Case Testimony: Officer
Likely Used Banned Chokehold
May 13, 2019 5:47 PM CDT
Garner Case Testimony: Officer Likely Used Banned Chokehold
Disciplinary trial begins in New York
- Two New York police officials who investigated the July 2014 death of Eric Garner testified Monday that Officer Daniel Pantaleo likely violated department rules on the use of a chokehold. Garner was the unarmed black man whose pleas of "I can't breathe" became a rallying cry against police...
32 Years After Likely Murder,
Cops Dig Up Concrete Floor
Oct 30, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
32 Years After Likely Murder, Cops Dig Up Concrete Floor
Search for Suzy Lamplugh takes police to former home of suspect's mom
- UK police are digging up a property previously owned by the mother of a convicted killer in the hope of solving a 32-year-old cold case. Real estate agent Suzy Lamplugh, then 25, vanished on July 28, 1986, after leaving her London offices to meet an unknown "Mr. Kipper" at...
Sought in Death
Aug 28, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
Mystery Man Sought in Death of Pregnant Reality Star
He may have left hotel with Lyric McHenry on Aug. 14: NYPD
- New York City police are seeking the public's help in identifying a man wanted for questioning in the death of a pregnant reality star and Stanford graduate. Lyric McHenry—who appeared alongside Magic Johnson's son, EJ Johnson, on E!'s
, per ABC News —was found...
Dec 15, 2017 10:13 AM CST
NYPD Opens Inquiry Into Russell Simmons
Another woman comes forward to accuse him of an attempted sexual assault
- Russell Simmons is now the subject of an NYPD investigation, with 12 women accusing the music mogul of sexual misconduct including rape . The investigation was launched based on accounts published by the
Los Angeles Times
New York Times
this week, reports CNN . "We were made aware of the...
Utah Officer on Leave
After Arresting Nurse
Who Did Her Job
Sep 2, 2017 5:52 AM CDT
Utah Officer on Leave After Arresting Nurse Who Did Her Job
Alex Wubbels' attorney says she was left in hot police car for 20 minutes
- "On the face of the evidence, there is concern that is raised about this officer’s conduct," says Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill. Many of the people who have racked up nearly 3 million views of the video that shows Detective Jeff Payne arresting University of...
Apr 13, 2017 1:59 PM CDT
Cop Pummels Pedestrian in 'Disturbing' Video
Police say his actions are 'unacceptable'
- A video taken from a police dashboard camera on Monday shows a white police officer approaching a black man, whom he accuses of jaywalking earlier in Sacramento, Calif. What the officer does next is "unacceptable" and has sparked a criminal investigation, according to the Sacramento Police Department. "...
for 3 Hours
Jan 3, 2017 4:33 AM CST
Israeli Cops Question Netanyahu for 3 Hours
Corruption probe now a full criminal investigation: Israeli AG
- Israeli police investigators descended on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's home Monday to continue a corruption probe, and while officials are being tight-lipped on what was discussed, a police spokesman revealed that questioning revolved around Netanyahu being "under caution on the suspicions of receiving benefits," CNN reports. The...
in Viral Video
Mar 15, 2016 9:10 AM CDT
Officer Pepper-Sprays Passing Bikers in Viral Video
He's been placed on administrative duty
- Police in Fort Worth, Texas, are investigating after a video surfaced showing an officer firing a burst of pepper spray at a group of motorcyclists on a highway. Members of the group say about 200 motorcyclists were traveling on Highway 287 around 3pm Sunday when an officer pulled over a...
Nov 15, 2015 5:09 PM CST
7-Year-Old Girl Found Dead Near School Football Game
Gabriella Doolin's death is a homicide, police say
- Kentucky state police didn't take long in finding Gabriella Doolin's body. Her mom reported the 7-year-old missing from an Allen County-Scottsville High School football game Saturday evening in Scottsville, Kentucky, and 25 minutes later, police found Gabriella behind the school. Her body was in a creek in a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Jonah Hill Is Changing His Name
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.