Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Newsom Under Pressure
to Replace Feinstein Fast
Sep 29, 2023 12:22 PM CDT
Newsom Under Pressure to Replace Feinstein Fast
California governor has said he will choose Black woman for 'caretaker' role
- The Senate is no longer split 50/50, so the death of Sen. Dianne Feinstein won't temporarily return Republicans to the majority, but California Gov. Gavin Newsom is still under pressure to find a replacement fast. There are now 47 Democratic senators, plus three independents who caucus with them, and...
Preps for a
Sep 28, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Kari Lake Preps for a New Fight
Republican to announce run for Arizona Senate seat next month, per 'WSJ'
- While still appealing her loss in last year's Arizona gubernatorial race, Kari Lake will mount a new fight—to snag Kyrsten Sinema's Senate seat. The former TV news anchor tells the
Wall Street Journal
that she'll launch her campaign with a rally on Oct. 10, setting up...
Stop Short of Saying
Menendez Should Resign
Sep 25, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Democrat Senators Stop Short of Saying Menendez Should Resign
But AOC does think he should step down
- Add Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to the list of politicians who think Sen. Bob Menendez needs to resign due to his indictment on corruption charges . The Democratic representative said the charges against Menendez, including allegations that he accepted bribes including a Mercedes-Benz, are "very serious," the
Senate Goes Around Tuberville,
Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman
Sep 20, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Senate Goes Around Tuberville, Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman
Charles Brown Jr. will succeed Mark Milley next month
- Gen. Charles Brown Jr., a fighter pilot and former Air Force chief of staff, was confirmed as the nation's next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday. His nomination was approved on an 83-11 Senate vote after being held up for months by Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville'...
Senate, VP Are
Aug 17, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Greene Says Senate, VP Are Possibilities
GOP congresswoman from Georgia isn't ruling either out
- Marjorie Taylor Greene's social media has been ablaze ever since her home state Georgia indicted former President Trump on Monday, along with 18 others . The congresswoman is mainly in "defend Trump" and " slam Fani Willis " mode, but on Tuesday, Greene also revealed something else that's...
Report: Alabama's Senator
Does Not Live in Alabama
Aug 11, 2023 7:32 AM CDT
Report: Alabama's Senator Does Not Live in Alabama
Tuberville sold his last Alabama property last month, records indicate he lives in Florida
- Sen. Tommy Tuberville represents Alabama in the US Senate but records—and his own statements—suggest that he's been living in Florida for years, according to the
, which dubs the Republican "Florida's third senator," reports that Tuberville sold the last properties he...
a 'Minor Fall'
Aug 9, 2023 10:24 AM CDT
Feinstein Takes a 'Minor Fall'
Senate's oldest member visited hospital, is recovering at home
- The hits—or really, the falls and senior moments—just keep coming for a couple of the United States Senate's most venerable and aged members, Dianne Feinstein and Mitch McConnell , both of whom are facing calls from members of their own parties to step down. As CBS News reports,...
Senator Says She
With Facial Numbness
Aug 1, 2023 2:42 PM CDT
Senator Says She Was Hospitalized With Facial Numbness
Katie Britt says recovery could take weeks
- Days after Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, one of the oldest senators, caused concern by freezing up during a press conference , one of the youngest senators has disclosed that she is dealing with a health issue. Republican Sen. Katie Britt of Alabama said Monday that she was hospitalized over the...
Harris Casts Historic Vote
Jul 12, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Harris Casts Historic Vote
It took John C. Calhoun much longer to record 31 tiebreakers
- Kamala Harris, who made history as the first woman or person of color to serve as vice president, made history again Wednesday as she matched the record for most tiebreaking votes in the US Senate. The vote, her 31st, advanced the nomination of Kalpana Kotagal to the Equal Employment Opportunity...
Makes the Call
Jul 8, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
House or Senate Run? Top Dem Makes the Call
Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin is going for his 5th term in the House of Representatives
- Congressman Jamie Raskin has launched his latest election campaign—but it's not for US Senate, as some had speculated. WBFF reports that the Democrat, who represents Maryland's 8th District in the US House of Representatives, announced Friday he'll be running for his fifth term in the House,...
Baseball Legend Could Stir Up
Race for Feinstein's Seat
Jun 2, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Baseball Legend Could Stir Up Race for Feinstein's Seat
Steve Garvey is a Republican, but also famous, so 'never say never'
- You'd have to go back a generation—to 1988—to find the last time a Republican candidate won a US Senate race in heavily Democratic California. This time, the party might get an MVP on the ballot. Baseball legend Steve Garvey, who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and...
No, I Won't
May 8, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Kyrsten Sinema: No, I Won't Join GOP
Senator, newly independent, says she's done with 2-party system
- Kyrsten Sinema has no more interest in becoming a Republican than she had in remaining a Democrat, apparently. Asked on
Face the Nation
Sunday whether, now that the former Democrat is an independent , there's any chance she'll someday join the GOP, the senator said no, Politico reports. "...
Gov. Jim Justice
Apr 28, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice Running for Manchin's Seat
Manchin has not yet announced whether he will run for reelection
- West Virginia Republican Gov. Jim Justice announced Thursday that he is running for Democrat Joe Manchin’s US Senate seat in 2024, setting up what could be a hard-fought campaign between two of the state’s most prominent politicians, the AP reports. Justice, an ultrawealthy businessman who is barred from...
Murkowski, King Want Court
to Follow a Code of Conduct
Apr 26, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
Murkowski, King Want Court to Follow a Code of Conduct
Republican, Independent introduce bill, citing falling public confidence in justices
- Despite revelations about Supreme Court justices ' failure to be forthcoming on financial transactions that could pose conflicts of interest, Chief Justice John Roberts and his colleagues have shown little interest in addressing the issue. One Republican and one Independent senator have moved to increase the pressure on them by...
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Apr 17, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Mitch McConnell, John Fetterman return to the Capitol after lengthy absences
- The Senate is a little more full on Monday, but just as red and blue: Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and Pennsylvania Democrat John Fetterman will be back at work in the US Capitol on Monday, reports the AP . McConnell's return comes almost six weeks after a fall at...
In Utah Senate Race,
a 'Wild Card' Emerges
Oct 17, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
In Utah Senate Race, a 'Wild Card' Emerges
Independent Evan McMullin is close in the polls to GOP incumbent Mike Lee
- One of the more intriguing Senate races in November is out of Utah, where Republican Sen. Mike Lee—a staunch ally of Donald Trump—is in a surprisingly tight race with independent challenger Evan McMullin. Real Clear Politics still projects Lee to hold the seat, but Lee is up by...
Senate Candidate's Relatives
Come Out Hard—for His Rival
Oct 14, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Senate Candidate's Relatives Come Out Hard—for His Rival
14 family members of Nevada's Adam Laxalt, a Republican, want voters to cast ballot for Dem
- The GOP has claimed the mantle of being the party of "traditional family values," but Republican Adam Laxalt can't even get a good chunk of his own family on board his campaign as he runs for a US Senate seat in Nevada, a key toss-up state in...
Senate Backs Bill to Head Off
Shutdown, Add Aid for Ukraine
Sep 29, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Senate Backs Bill to Head Off Shutdown, Add Aid for Ukraine
Measure goes to House, with a deadline of midnight Friday
- The Senate passed a short-term spending bill on Thursday that would avert a partial government shutdown when the current fiscal year ends at midnight Friday and provide another infusion of military and economic aid to Ukraine as it seeks to repel Russia's invasion. The bill finances the federal government...
Same-Sex Marriage Vote
to Wait Till After Midterms
Sep 15, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Vote to Wait Till After Midterms
Blunt suggests nervous Republicans will be more likely to vote yes later
- The Senate Democrat leading the effort to pass legislation protecting same-sex marriage plans to hold off until after the midterm elections, apparently heeding the advice of a retiring Republican. "If I wanted to pass that, and I was the majority leader and I wanted to get as many votes...
in Senate Races
Aug 19, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
McConnell Worried About 'Candidate Quality' in Senate Races
Minority leader thinks the race for control of the chamber is too close to call
- Historically speaking, the party of the sitting US president loses ground in the midterms , ceding seats in the House or Senate, or both if it's a particularly brutal bloodbath. But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is holding off on proclaiming any kind of premature victory in his own chamber...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.