Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Searched His House. He
Was Found Dead Months Later
Oct 25, 2021 3:29 PM CDT
Police Searched His House. He Was Found Dead Months Later
United exec Jake Cefolia disappeared in August
- A United Airlines executive who mysteriously disappeared in August was found dead in a nature preserve Sunday. Jake Cefolia was under criminal investigation when his ex-wife, Kristine Cefolia, reported him missing. Police say they found his remains hanging from a tree in Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve in Illinois,
United: New Number Shows
Our Vax Policy Works
Sep 30, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
United: New Number Shows Our Vax Policy Works
Number of workers facing dismissal over refusal to get shots drops by half
United Airlines says the number of employees facing termination for refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19 has dropped nearly by half, to 320, after more of its 67,000 US workers provided evidence of vaccination, per the AP . The airline had said Tuesday that 593 employees faced termination unless...
United to Crew: Please Don't
Duct-Tape Unruly Passengers
Aug 17, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
United to Crew: Please Don't Duct-Tape Unruly Passengers
Exec says crew members should 'follow de-escalation process'
- United Airlines has asked its employees not to reach for the duct tape whenever they have a difficult passenger to deal with. In a recent memo seen by
, Senior Vice President of Inflight Services John Slate reminded crew members that disruptive passengers should not be taped to their seats...
United to 67K Employees:
Get Vaccinated or Get Fired
Aug 6, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
United to 67K Employees: Get Vaccinated or Get Fired
United Airlines says workers will have to be inoculated by Oct. 25
- In May, Delta Air Lines announced it would require new hires to get the COVID-19 vaccine. In June, United Airlines followed suit. Now, the latter is taking it a step further, mandating that all of its 67,000 US employees, from pilots and flight attendants to gate agents, get vaccinated....
Passengers Taken Off Plane
After Teen Sends Gun Pic
Jul 25, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
Passengers Taken Off Plane After Teen Sends Gun Pic
The image was of an airsoft gun that wasn't even on a plane
- Some passengers on a United flight from San Francisco to Orlando, Florida, got a weird photo on their Apple devices delivered via AirDrop. AirDrop is an Apple feature that lets photos be transmitted short distances, and it’s possible to leave that connection open to the public. A photo of...
Air Traffic Control Slip-Up
Almost Caused Disaster
Jul 20, 2021 2:37 PM CDT
Air Traffic Control Slip-Up Almost Caused Disaster
Paris controller cleared planes to take off, land on same runway
- Air safety investigators in France say a number of factors almost caused a disaster at the country's biggest airport last year—including the fact that an air traffic controller was out of practice due to reduced flights during the pandemic. According to a report released Tuesday, a United Airlines...
He Jumped Out of a Plane at
LAX. Here's the Backstory
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
He Jumped Out of a Plane at LAX. Here's the Backstory
Mexican national Luis Antonio Victoria Dominguez allegedly smoked 'a lot' of meth in days before flight
- The man who jumped from a moving plane at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday not only broke his leg—he's now facing up to two decades in federal prison. Mexican national Luis Antonio Victoria Dominguez allegedly told authorities he'd spent the previous days smoking "a lot"...
United Airlines Just Made
a Huge Bet on Travel
Jun 29, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
United Airlines Just Made a Huge Bet on Travel
Company orders 270 new planes, most in its history
- Air travel is back. Just ask United Airlines. The company has placed the biggest jet order in its history, and the biggest for any US airline since 2011. The purchase of 270 new single-aisle planes from Boeing and Airbus has a two-fold purpose: to replace some aging aircraft as well...
United Orders 15
Jun 3, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
United Orders 15 Supersonic Jets
But they won't be ready until 2029 at the earliest
- The good news for air travelers hungering for faster flights is that United just ordered 15 supersonic jets. The bad news is they won't be ready until 2029, and that's if nothing goes wrong along the way, reports CNBC . The airline placed the order with Denver startup Boom...
Yet Another Airline
Pulls Back on the Booze
Jun 3, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Yet Another Airline Pulls Back on the Booze
United joins Southwest, American in limiting or suspending alcohol service over unruly passengers
- A third airline has hopped on the "curtail alcohol" bandwagon after a slew of increasingly aggressive in-flight incidents, many related to unruly passengers balking at having to wear face masks. Airlines in general had suspended serving alcohol during the pandemic to limit passenger-flight attendant interaction and prevent spreading the...
As Bookings Rebound,
Airline to Hire 300 Pilots
Apr 1, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
As Bookings Rebound, Airline to Hire 300 Pilots
Business still is down from 2019, but bookings are climbing
- United Airlines said Thursday it plans to hire about 300 pilots, another sign that airlines feel more confident that a recent increase in travel will continue. The airline plans to start by hiring pilots who received conditional job offers or had a class for new hires canceled last year, the...
Aboard That Scary Flight:
'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Feb 23, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Aboard That Scary Flight: 'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Investigators trying to understand why fan blades broke, and not for the first time
- It's a small miracle nobody was hurt or killed in Colorado over the weekend after an engine blew on a United jet and rained huge pieces of debris on neighborhoods near the Denver International Airport. In fact, one of the engine's fan blades came down on a soccer...
United Airlines Investigating
Who Spilled Beans on Ted Cruz
Feb 22, 2021 6:46 AM CST
United Airlines Investigating Who Spilled Beans on Ted Cruz
A travel reporter tweeted that he had a United source
- Ted Cruz's initial Thursday statement about his Cancun trip painted it as a quick in-and-out, reports
: "I flew down with [my daughters] last night and am flying back this afternoon." But Politico reports a journalist heard from someone at United Airlines that the senator had...
Pieces of Plane Fall Near
Homes After Engine Failure
Feb 20, 2021 4:49 PM CST
Pieces of Plane Fall Near Homes After Engine Failure
United flight makes emergency landing in Denver
- A United Airlines plane showered neighborhoods with metal debris Saturday before making an emergency landing at Denver International Airport. The crew had reported that the right engine had failed and that the plane was turning back to the airport. The Boeing 777-200 landed safely, the FAA said. In the meantime,...
Boeing Max Is
Back on US Route
Dec 29, 2020 2:36 PM CST
Boeing Max Is Back on US Route
Plane was grounded last year after two crashes
- American Airlines flew a Boeing 737 Max with paying passengers from Miami to New York on Tuesday, the plane's first commercial flight in US skies since it was grounded after two deadly crashes. American Flight 718 carried about 100 passengers, according to an airline spokeswoman, and landed Tuesday afternoon...
Man Who Collapsed on
Plane, Died, Did
Dec 23, 2020 2:31 AM CST
Man Who Collapsed on Plane, Died, Did Have COVID
Coroner confirms cause of death for man on United Airlines flight
- Just as many of his fellow passengers feared , the man who collapsed during a United Airlines flight last week, later being pronounced dead at a hospital, did indeed have COVID-19. The coroner's office lists the 69-year-old Los Angeles man's cause of death as acute respiratory failure and COVID,...
Death on United Flight
Sparks COVID Scare
Dec 19, 2020 2:30 PM CST
Death on United Flight Sparks COVID Scare
'I had to look away for a while,' passenger says
- United Airlines is trying to undo the damage after a man suffered a COVID-like medical emergency on a flight this week and died, NBC News reports. Now the airline is working with health officials to track down passengers who may have been exposed, and explain how the man—who boarded...
'Disbelief, Disgust, Humiliation'
as Family Kicked Off Flight
Dec 13, 2020 2:26 PM CST
'Disbelief, Disgust, Humiliation' as Family Kicked Off Flight
It was because a toddler refused to wear a mask
- "Confusion, disbelief, disgust, and humiliation." That's a Colorado mom's reaction to being booted from a United Airlines flight Friday after her young daughter refused to wear a face mask onboard, the
New York Post
reports. "We just got kicked off the flight because our 2-year-old...
United Pilot, Wife Die in
Honeymoon Plane Crash
Oct 8, 2020 4:57 AM CDT
United Pilot, Wife Die in Honeymoon Plane Crash
Small plane crashed in Rocky Mountains
- United Airilines is mourning two employees who died in a private plane crash on their way home from their honeymoon. Pilot and flight instructor Costas John Sivyllis, 30, was killed along with flight attendant Lindsey Vogelaar, 33, when their Beechcraft Bonanza crashed just outside Telluride, Colorado, on Monday,
Pilots Sidestep 3,800 Layoffs
Sep 28, 2020 6:50 PM CDT
Pilots Sidestep 3,800 Layoffs
Federal pandemic aid expires Thursday
- Pilots at United Airlines voted to approve an agreement that will avoid about 2,850 furloughs that were to take effect this week and another 1,000 early next year. Airline officials said Monday that the agreement will reduce involuntary job cuts to fewer than 12,000 if Congress fails...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Aariel Maynor Arrested in Jacqueline Avant Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.