Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
United: OK, We'll Drop
That $200 Change Fee
Aug 31, 2020 4:37 AM CDT
United: OK, We'll Drop That $200 Change Fee
CEO says airline is listening to customers
- United Airlines says it listened to customers and is dropping an unpopular $200 fee for most people who change a ticket for travel within the United States, the AP reports. “When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of fees is often the top request,...
'Gut Punch: United Is
Sending 36K Layoff Notices
Jul 8, 2020 1:14 PM CDT
'Gut Punch: United Is Sending 36K Layoff Notices
Up to 45% of US staff could be laid off
- United Airlines will send layoff warnings to 36,000 employees—nearly half its US staff—in the clearest signal yet of how deeply the pandemic is hurting the airline industry. The outlook for a recovery in air travel has dimmed in just the past two weeks with rising infection rates...
United Steps Up
Face Mask Policy
Jun 16, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
United Steps Up Face Mask Policy
Refusal to comply could result in flight ban
- If you refuse to wear a face mask on a United Airlines flight, the airline is going to refuse to let you on another one of its planes. The airline says that as of Thursday, people who ignore its mandatory mask policy will be placed on an "internal travel...
NFL Player: I Was
on a United Flight
May 20, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
NFL Player: I Was Sexually Assaulted on a United Flight
2 men say attendants ignored their complaints
- An NFL player and a second man say they were sexually harassed and assaulted during a late-night flight—and United Airlines flight attendants failed to take their complaints seriously. In a lawsuit filed Monday, the player, identified only as John Doe 1, says he was on a flight from Los...
United Issues Change
After Doctor's Tweets
May 13, 2020 2:31 PM CDT
United Issues Change After Doctor's Tweets
Airline will inform passengers when planes are almost full
- United Airlines announced last month that it would keep the middle seats empty in its aircraft to allow for social distancing amid the COVID-19 pandemic. But that's not what Dr. Ethan Weiss found when he boarded his flight from Newark to San Francisco on Saturday. The associate professor at...
United Airlines to Staff:
You May Want to
May 5, 2020 6:59 AM CDT
United Airlines to Staff: You May Want to Leave Voluntarily
Airline warns it will be cutting staff come October
- Airlines are not doing well amid the coronavirus pandemic—and in a memo recently sent to staffers, United Airlines' COO is urging employees to consider voluntarily separating from the company, CNN reports. "You may want to seriously consider if you're in a position to take a voluntary separation,...
Cops: Guy Attacked
Tried to Storm Cockpit
Jan 13, 2020 5:03 AM CST
Cops: Guy Attacked Flight Attendant, Tried to Storm Cockpit
'If he did actually get into that cockpit, Lord knows what would have happened'
- Passengers on a flight into New Jersey from DC had a scare as the United Express plane started to land in Newark on Thursday evening, reports NBC New York . Passenger Mike Egbert says that Matthew Dingley got up and went into a "full sprint" toward the cockpit, ramming into...
Woman Stung by Scorpion
on United Air Flight
Dec 8, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Woman Stung by Scorpion on United Air Flight
Passenger taken to hospital after being stung aboard flight out of San Francisco
- You can't always get a free checked bag on a domestic flight, but increasingly you can get a complimentary scorpion sting : A woman on a San Francisco to Atlanta flight went to the plane's bathroom after feeling a "stinging sensation" on her leg, when out dropped a...
City of Denver to Pony Up for
Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Nov 13, 2019 7:34 AM CST
City of Denver to Pony Up for Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Andrew Collins may still sue airport hotel after indecent exposure charges were dropped
- Andrew Collins has long insisted he did nothing wrong by standing naked at his hotel window overlooking Denver International Airport—and now, his lawyer says, it's payback time for the trouble he's endured since. NBC News reports the city of Denver has settled with Collins and will pay...
Florida-Bound Plane Makes
Emergency Landing in Jersey
Nov 4, 2019 2:34 PM CST
Florida-Bound Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Jersey
Crew smelled smoke on United Airlines flight just minutes after takeoff
- A United Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing at a New Jersey airport after the crew reported smelling smoke in the cockpit. Officials say Flight 800 had departed from Newark Liberty International Airport early Monday and was headed for Orlando, Fla., when the problem arose, per the...
Boeing 737 Max Could
Be Back in the Sky
Oct 9, 2019 11:16 AM CDT
Boeing 737 Max Could Be Back in the Sky Come January
Per a new American Airlines filing with the SEC
- All Boeing 737 Max aircraft were grounded after two crashes involving the jets over the past year killed a total of 346 people. But come January, the planes will likely be in the air again. American Airlines announced in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Wednesday that two software...
Plane Makes Emergency
Landing for Odd Reason
Sep 26, 2019 1:26 PM CDT
Plane Makes Emergency Landing for Odd Reason
Passenger gets stuck in plane lavatory
- A United Airlines jet had to make an emergency landing in Denver Wednesday night, but the emergency in question only applied to one person. Flight 1554 from Washington, DC, to San Francisco made the unscheduled stop "to assist a customer who was in the lavatory when the lavatory door...
184 Survived 'Non-Survivable'
Plane Crash, Thanks to Him
Aug 27, 2019 10:43 AM CDT
184 Survived 'Non-Survivable' Plane Crash, Thanks to Him
'Humble' hero, former United Airlines pilot Al Haynes has died
- Al Haynes was credited with saving 184 lives, but up to his death Sunday in Seattle at age 87, he continually shrugged off the label of hero. Haynes—the pilot of United Airlines Flight 232, which crash-landed in Iowa on July 19, 1989, killing 112 of 296 passengers and crew—...
Fliers: Flight Attendant
So Drunk We Had to
Do Her Seat Belt
Aug 9, 2019 6:29 AM CDT
Fliers: Flight Attendant So Drunk We Had to Do Her Seat Belt
Passengers say she passed out after slurring her words in security announcement
- A flight attendant was charged with criminal public intoxication after showing up for work so drunk that passengers say they had to fasten her seat belt. Passengers on the Aug. 2 United Express flight from Chicago to South Bend, which was operated by Air Wisconsin, say 49-year-old Julianne March bumped...
Plane Blows Tires,
Skids Down Runway
Jun 15, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Plane Blows Tires, Skids Down Runway
But passengers in Newark only suffer light injuries
- Authorities say a plane blew tires while landing at Newark Liberty International Airport, sending it skidding on the runway before coming to a halt, the AP reports. United Airlines says Flight 627 from Denver was landing at 1pm Saturday with 166 passengers when the tires blew. United spokesman Robert Einhorn...
Here Are the Main
US Airlines, Ranked
May 2, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Here Are the Main US Airlines, Ranked
Alaska Airlines comes in at No. 1 overall, and it's also the safest
- While it always feels like a win to score a cheap plane ticket, price isn't the only factor that makes an airline desirable. WalletHub looked at the nine biggest domestic airlines, plus three regional carriers, examining four categories: safety; incidents involving animals; in-flight comfort and cost; and baggage, departures,...
Without Scooter Batteries,
Vacation Was 'Humiliating'
Apr 29, 2019 6:45 PM CDT
Without Scooter Batteries, Vacation Was 'Humiliating'
Passenger unable to use scooter seeks damages
- Stearn Hodge was on his way to a vacation celebrating his 43rd wedding anniversary in 2017, he says, when a security agent at Calgary International Airport stopped him from taking the batteries for his scooter with him. Stearn Hodge lost his left arm and right leg in a workplace accident...
Man Dragged Off
United Flight Gives
Apr 9, 2019 6:26 PM CDT
Man Dragged Off United Flight Gives First Interview
Dr. David Dao says he's glad the incident led to policy changes
- Dr. David Dao, who was dragged from a United Airlines flight in a video that went viral, is speaking publicly for the first time since the April 2017 incident. He tells ABC News he doesn't fully remember being forcibly removed—after an airline employee told him the flight was...
She Slapped Flight Attendant,
Now Faces Serious Prison Time
Mar 22, 2019 10:33 AM CDT
She Slapped Flight Attendant, Now Faces Serious Prison Time
Australia's Adau Mornyang, 24, could get 21 years after being convicted of assault
- A 24-year-old Australian woman's flight from Melbourne to Los Angeles earlier this year might end up wrecking her life. Adau Akui Atem Mornyang could get up to 21 years in prison after being convicted of assaulting a flight attendant on her United Airlines flight in January, reports the
Woman Booted From
Flight After Griping
About 'Pig' Seatmates
Jan 30, 2019 5:21 AM CST
Woman Booted From Flight After Griping About 'Pig' Seatmates
Incident on United plane was caught on video
- A woman was booted from a United Airlines flight after going on a tirade about the two passengers she was seated between. The woman was caught on video by one of those passengers, Norma Rodgers—whom the
identifies as "an award-winning nurse and advocate against gun violence"...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Aariel Maynor Arrested in Jacqueline Avant Murder
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.