Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 2,793,030+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Thieves Swipe 75 Vehicles in Brazen Heist
Bay Area theft one of many well-coordinated ones capitalizing on chaos of Floyd protests
- Police in a small San Francisco Bay Area community were about to help authorities in neighboring Oakland keep the peace during a protest when a more pressing crisis hit home: Groups of thieves had pillaged malls, set fire to a Walmart, and stormed a car dealership. By the time San...
Community Rallies After Fleet of Rental Cars Stolen
97 vehicles were stolen under cover of New Zealand lockdown
- In New Zealand, extremely strict lockdown measures made it easy to steal cars—and easy to catch car thieves. Police say that over the Anzac Day long weekend late last month, thieves cut a hole in the fence of a rental company's storage yard near Auckland Airport and made...
Cops 'Know' Who Stole $1M in Cars. But Try Arresting Them
North Carolina authorities are eyeing a group of 19 juveniles in car thefts
- North Carolina detectives say they know who's behind car thefts worth over $1 million—but arresting them is another thing, the
reports. Police are eyeing 19 young people in the thefts of 46 cars from dealerships in and around Winston-Salem starting in March, but the kids, aged...
He Got Away From the Cops, But Not From the Guy in Sandals
Queensland police hoping to thank Good Samaritan who brought down alleged car thief
- An Australian dog walker used his arm as a clothesline as he brought down an alleged car thief who'd smashed into two police vehicles, narrowly missing an officer, on Thursday. A chase began around 8:30am as officers tried to apprehend the driver of a stolen Toyota Hilux utility...
Cops: Man Crashes Stolen SUV With Baby Inside
'Twelve minutes of sheer terror, I'll say'
- A man accused of stealing an SUV with a 13-month-old baby girl inside and leading police on a chase before crashing on an interstate has been arrested in Kentucky. The child was unharmed. "Twelve minutes of sheer terror, I'll say," Shepherdsville Police Chief Rick McCubbin said of...
'Crazy' Car Owner Surprises Thief by Leaping Onto Hood
Boston man goes flying from swerving vehicle but survives
- A Boston man's reaction when he saw a thief driving away in his car was to take a leap onto the hood and hold on for dear life. The thief kept driving, NBC reports, and swerving, finally sending the owner flying off the Volkswagen Passat. The thief then took...
Police Stop Kids Who Drove Stolen SUV 600 Miles
Aussie kids packed fishing rods, left a note
- Four children aged 10 to 14 packed fishing rods in a parent's SUV, left a farewell note, then drove more than 600 miles down the Australian east coast before they were stopped by police the next day, an officer says. When the children were stopped by police near Grafton...
Police Find Stolen Ferrari's Hiding Spot
$2.2M car was taken during a test drive Monday in Germany
- German police have recovered a valuable 1980s Ferrari stolen during a test drive and are searching for the man believed to have sped off with the car while posing as a would-be buyer. The red Ferrari 288 GTO, first registered in 1985, is believed to be worth more than $2....
There's a Subset of Car Thieves Who Aren't After Your Car
They want your palladium
- There's a new subset of car thieves who aren't after your car—they want your catalytic converter. This according to a
Wall Street Journal
trends piece, which says the lure is the palladium contained inside. The metal is one of several housed in the device, and it's...
Cops: Alleged Car Thief Drives Stolen Car to Court
And voila, new charges
- Bad habits: Police say a man answering to a stolen-car charge drove a stolen car to court in Connecticut. Authorities say 25-year-old Jonathan Rivera was at Hartford Superior Court on Wednesday to appear before a judge on a charge of first-degree larceny and tampering with a motor vehicle from February....
Cops: 10-Year-Old Leads Police on 100mph Chase on Turnpike
It's apparently not the first time Ohio boy has been joyriding
- A 10-year-old Ohio boy was taken into custody after leading police and state troopers on a dangerous high-speed pursuit that began in Cleveland and ended miles away along the Ohio Turnpike when troopers boxed him in. Authorities say no one was injured during the pursuit that began around 9:30am...
BMW Remotely Foils Would-Be Car Thief
BMW and the cops worked in tandem to help bust Seattle suspect
- Police blotters can be the source of tiny treasures, and one out of Seattle last week offers up a gem involving a sleepy suspect and a high-tech car. Per the Seattle Police Department's crime log, a BMW was reported stolen in the early morning hours of Nov. 27, and...
A Boy's Night Playing
Ended Up With Real Cops
Ontario police thought they were dealing with an 'impaired driver' when calls started coming in
- Yet another reason to not let young kids play M-rated video games: They may get ideas they carry over to real life. At least that's what apparently happened to one curious 11-year-old boy in Ontario, who cops say spent Saturday evening playing
Grand Theft Auto
, then set out in...
Cops: Felon Steals Cruiser, Live-Streams Ensuing Chase
The officer had left her keys in the car while getting coffee
- No wonder more people are ditching cable for the internet. A 25-year-old felon allegedly live-streamed himself stealing a cop car and leading police on a high-speed chase Monday night in Oklahoma, NewsOn6.com reports. Police say John Pinney swiped the cruiser after an officer left her keys in it while...
It's Easier Than You Think to Accidentally Steal a Car
Inadvertent car thief was supposed to pick up her friend's car and chose poorly
- Accidents happen. Like, sometimes you steal a car without even meaning to. Surveillance video taken Tuesday night in Portland, Ore., shows a woman unlocking Erin Hatzi's red Subaru in Hatzi's driveway and driving off, the
reports. Hatzi tells KGW it didn't seem like a normal car...
Someone Stole a Professional Snuggler's Snuggle Mobile
- Some jerk—very possibly someone who didn't receive enough affection—stole the Snuggle Mobile this week in Portland, Oregon. KATU reports the bright orange Snuggle Mobile is owned by professional snuggler Shanya Luther. Professional snugglers "provide platonic touch to those seeking physical human connection," KATU helpfully explains....
Cops: 14-Year-Old Boy Steals Car, Kills 8-Year-Old Girl
'Made a horrible, horrible, horrible mistake, made a horrible, horrible decision'
- A 14-year-old boy is facing vehicular manslaughter charges after police say he stole a Jeep and hit an 8-year-old girl who was just leaving school Thursday in Baltimore, the
New York Daily News
reports. According to the
, police tried to stop the stolen Jeep just three blocks from...
10 Cities With Most Car Thefts Per Capita
California should hand out free clubs when you enter
- Prefer not to have your car stolen? Statistically speaking, you should probably stay out of California.
reports that eight of the 10 US cities with the most car thefts per capita are in the Golden State. The data comes from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, which found nearly all...
Cops: Woman Gets in Police Chase in Stolen Ambulance
And it ends in a fiery crash
- Paramedics leaving a San Francisco apartment building with their patient Tuesday morning were shocked to find their ambulance missing, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. They had left it running when they went inside. Police used a tracking device inside the ambulance to catch up with it a short time later....
Dad Leaves Baby in Running Car, Car Gets Stolen
3-month-old found safe on a Detroit porch
- A Detroit dad is lucky to have his infant back after he made a stop at a convenience store early Monday and left the baby in the car, engine running and doors unlocked, while he ran inside, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. When he came back out around 1am, his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Niece: Here's Why the Case Against Me Is Nuts
Mutated Virus Now Dominates: Research
The 2024 Buzz Has Started— for a Surprising Name
Trump Jr. GF Gets Bad News Before Mount Rushmore Event
Senator: I'm Ready to Block Over 1K Military Promotions
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.