Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest new stories and school shooting cases on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Potential Juror Appears to
Threaten School Shooter
Apr 26, 2022 6:49 PM CDT
Potential Juror Appears to Threaten School Shooter
Cops say they surrounded Nikolas Cruz to prevent possible brawl
- Deputies protecting Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz had to pull him aside and surround him Tuesday after a member of a jury pool mouthed possible threats toward him and caused others to become "excited," leading them to fear a potential brawl, officials said. A 70-member pool of potential...
It's the Deadliest US
Mass Shooting to Go to Trial
Apr 4, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
It's the Deadliest US Mass Shooting to Go to Trial
Jury selection begins in Parkland case to determine whether Nikolas Cruz will be executed
- Jury selection in the deadliest US mass shooting ever to go to trial begins Monday, with the panel chosen to determine whether Nikolas Cruz will be put to death for murdering 17 students and staff members at a high school in Parkland, Fla. Court officials say 1,500 candidates or...
6 Teens Charged With
Murder in Iowa Shooting
Mar 8, 2022 9:20 AM CST
6 Teens Charged With Murder in Iowa Shooting
15-year-old boy was killed in Des Moines, and 2 others were wounded
Six teens have been charged with murder in Monday's fatal shooting outside a Des Moines high school, reports the
Des Moines Register
. Police didn't indicate a motive, but they say the 15-year-old boy killed in the drive-by shooting was the intended target. Two young women, ages 16...
New Details on
Mar 2, 2022 8:11 AM CST
Judge Shares New Details on Ethan Crumbley
Revelations came in ruling denying his lawyers' request he be moved to juvenile facility
Ethan Crumbley will remain in adult jail for the duration of his murder case, and the ruling establishing that included previously undisclosed details about the alleged school shooter. In his Tuesday opinion, Oakland County Circuit Judge Kwame Rowe shared details gleaned from his review of Crumbley's texts and...
Survivors Protest at
White House, Slam Biden
Feb 15, 2022 2:04 AM CST
Parkland Families, Survivors Protest at White House, Slam Biden
Father of one victim arrested after scaling crane
- Four years after 17 students and others were gunned down at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., families and gun control advocates pressed President Biden on Monday to do more to address gun violence. Protesters demonstrated near the White House, and the father of one teenager killed at the...
Ignored Warning Signs
Feb 9, 2022 8:26 AM CST
Witnesses: Crumbley Ignored Warning Signs
Jennifer Crumbley's boss says she texted, 'Don't judge me for what my son did' after Oxford shooting
- Jennifer Crumbley told her boss and co-worker that she felt like a failure as a parent hours before her son opened fire at Michigan's Oxford High School, killing four people with a gun his parents had bought him as a gift, according to court testimony. Andrew Smith, CEO of...
School That Sent Alleged
Shooter Back to Class:
We're Not to Blame
Feb 7, 2022 2:28 AM CST
School That Sent Alleged Shooter Back to Class: We're Not to Blame
District responds to lawsuit after mass shooting
- Nearly two months after a lawsuit was filed accusing Oxford High School officials of failing to heed warnings of the school shooting that ultimately took the lives of four students on Nov. 30, the Michigan school district has issued its first formal response. "Defendants deny that they breached any...
Prosecutors to Crumbleys:
Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Feb 3, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Prosecutors to Crumbleys: Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley are told to stop broadcasting romantic signals
- The parents of the teen accused of shooting up a Michigan high school in November, killing four students, may be trying to boost each other up during hearings by sending romantic signals across the courtroom and over Zoom, but they're now being hit with a warning to quit it....
2 Arrested After
Feb 2, 2022 2:14 PM CST
2 Arrested After Fatal Shooting Outside School
Slain Minnesota student identified as Jahmari Rice, 15
: Police say two suspects have been arrested in a shooting that killed one student and critically injured another outside an alternative school in suburban Minneapolis Tuesday. Richfield Police Chief Jay Henthorne says suspects Fernando Valdez-Alvarez, 18, and Alfredo Rosario Solis, 19, were arrested after search warrants were executed at...
Focused on Affairs, Horses
Instead of Depressed Son
Dec 24, 2021 8:40 AM CST
Prosecutors: Crumbleys Focused on Affairs, Horses Instead of Depressed Son
They're pushing back against move to have bail lowered to $100K
- As four devastated families in Michigan face a first Christmas without their children, prosecutors are pushing back hard against a request from the parents of alleged school shooter Ethan Crumbley to have their bail lowered. In court papers filed Thursday, prosecutors accused James and Jennifer Crumbley of ignoring red flags...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Are Making a Big Ask
Dec 23, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Are Making a Big Ask
James, Jennifer Crumbley say they're 'devastated' about shooting, want bail lowered
- The parents of a teenager charged with killing four students at a Michigan high school didn't anticipate he would commit violence and are "devastated" like others in the community, a lawyer said Wednesday in requesting they be granted a lower bond. James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with...
Crumbley Parents Make
Dec 14, 2021 9:08 PM CST
Crumbley Parents Make Court Appearance
Judge rejects request to transfer alleged school shooter to juvenile facility
- The parents of alleged school shooter Ethan Crumbley appeared in court Tuesday, where prosecutors and defense lawyers agreed that a key hearing should be postponed. Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said a scheduled Dec. 22 hearing to determine whether James and Jennifer Crumbley will stand trial on involuntary manslaughter charges...
Shooting Suit: Principal Told Us
'There Is Absolutely No Threat'
Dec 10, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Shooting Suit: Principal Told Us 'There Is Absolutely No Threat'
Massacre occurred two weeks later at Oxford High School
- The family of an Oxford High School senior who was wounded in the mass shooting at the Michigan school last week is suing school officials for failing to stop the shooting despite warnings. And the suit isn't just talking about the social media messages Ethan Crumbley posted the night...
Mich. School Rejects AG's
Offer to Investigate Shooting
Dec 7, 2021 6:48 AM CST
Mich. School Rejects AG's Offer to Investigate Shooting
Dana Nessel suggests officials concerned about 'shielding themselves from civil liability'
- Officials at Oxford High School have rejected an offer by the Michigan attorney general to lead an independent review of the actions leading up to the Nov. 30 shooting. Suspected shooter Ethan Crumbley and his parents were called to the office that day after a teacher spotted a graphic drawing...
After Emotional Win, Game Ball
Doesn't Go to a Player
Dec 6, 2021 8:45 AM CST
After Emotional Win, Game Ball Doesn't Go to a Player
Detroit Lions dedicates first victory of season, on final play, to Michigan school shooting victims
- The Detroit Lions finally won their first game of the season on Sunday, and they did so in dramatic fashion. Quarterback Jared Goff threw an 11-yard TD to Amon-Ra St. Brown on the final play of the game as the Lions beat Minnesota 29-27, reports MLive . You can watch the...
Guy Who Helped Shooting
Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Dec 6, 2021 6:24 AM CST
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Andrzej Sikora says he didn't realize what was going on
- Andrzej Sikora, a Detroit-area artist, has come forward as the person police were seeking after they located James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of the suspected Oxford High School shooter. Authorities said someone may have helped the Crumbleys as they fled law enforcement, and Sikora says through a lawyer that the...
School Plans Outside Probe
of Its Actions Before Shooting
Dec 5, 2021 5:30 PM CST
School Plans Outside Probe of Its Actions Before Shooting
Oxford administrators let Ethan Crumbley return to class before rampage
: The superintendent of Oxford Community Schools said he's ordering an outside investigation of the high school's handling of the case of Ethan Crumbley, the student who was allowed to stay in class shortly before a mass shooting last week killed four students. Tim Throne made the announcement...
About Shooter Drills
Dec 5, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Experts Warn About Shooter Drills
Exercises can take emotional toll without preventing attacks
- It can be hard to keep in mind in the aftermath of an attack, but the chances of any one student being harmed in a school shooting are tiny. But the regular shooter drills schools hold can put the mental health of nearly every US student at risk, some experts...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Caught After Manhunt
Dec 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
James and Jennifer Crumbley seemed 'distressed' when found in Detroit commercial building
- The parents of a teen accused of killing four students in a shooting at a Michigan high school were caught early Saturday, several hours after a prosecutor filed involuntary manslaughter charges against them, officials said. James and Jennifer Crumbley were captured in a commercial building in Detroit that housed artwork,...
Mom's Text to Suspected
Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Dec 3, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
New details after parents of Ethan Crumbley are charged in deadly school assault
- The parents of suspected school shooter Ethan Crumbley are now facing charges of involuntary manslaughter , and the prosecutor in Michigan's Oakland County provided new details Friday to justify the move. "The facts of this case are so egregious," said Karen McDonald after James and Jennifer Crumbley were...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
Verizon Just Got Pricier
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.