Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hurricane Agatha Makes
Landfall in Mexico
May 30, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Hurricane Agatha Makes Landfall in Mexico
Forecasters warn of dangerous flooding, winds
: Hurricane Agatha made landfall at 2pm PDT Monday west of Puerto Angel, Mexico, bringing maximum sustained winds of 105mph. It's the earliest a Category 2 storm has made landfall on Mexico's Pacific Coast, CBS News reports. The US National Hurricane Center warned the area could face dangerous...
NOAA Releases 2022
May 24, 2022 1:58 PM CDT
NOAA Releases 2022 Hurricane Forecast
The agency expects another above-average storm season in the Atlantic
- If NOAA’s predictions are correct, 2022 will be the seventh straight year with above-average hurricane activity in the Atlantic. The agency predicts between 14 and 21 named storms, compared to an average of 14. It also expects 3 to 6 major hurricanes, which have sustained winds of at least...
All of New Orleans Loses
Power as Ida Rolls Through
Aug 30, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
All of New Orleans Loses Power as Ida Rolls Through
Power is out as hurricane is downgraded to a tropical storm
- The entire city of New Orleans was without power Monday morning thanks to Hurricane Ida. The weather system is now over Mississippi, having been downgraded to a tropical storm 16 hours after making landfall in Louisiana, reports the AP . Despite the downgrade, storm surges, winds, and heavy rain pose a...
For 7th Year in a
May 22, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
For 7th Year in a Row, Hurricane Season Starts Like This
Thanks to subtropical storm near Bermuda, it's 7th year in a row that named storm formed before June
- Subtropical storm Ana formed in the Atlantic Ocean early Saturday, according to the National Hurricane Center. Ana was the first named storm in the Atlantic this year, though hurricane season doesn't officially start until June 1, per the AP . Ana was located about 200 miles northeast of Bermuda, with...
Storm of Season
May 10, 2021 1:45 AM CDT
We Already Have Our First Named Storm of Season
Andres is earliest tropical storm on record to form in eastern Pacific
- Hurricane season doesn't start in the eastern Pacific until Saturday, but the first tropical storm of the season is already here: Andres, which formed hundreds of miles off the west coast of Mexico and had sustained winds of 40mph Sunday. While tropical systems are known to develop before the...
as Eta Lands
Nov 9, 2020 6:00 PM CST
South Florida Quickly Floods as Eta Lands
'It was far worse than we could’ve ever imagined,' resident says
- A deluge of rain from Tropical Storm Eta caused flooding Monday across South Florida's most densely populated urban areas—stranding cars, flooding businesses, and swamping entire neighborhoods with fast-rising water that had no place to drain. The system made landfall in the Florida Keys and posed a serious threat...
Florida Could Be
Hit by Eta Twice
Nov 9, 2020 12:08 AM CST
Florida Could Be Hit by Eta Twice
Storm, which could turn back into a hurricane, might 'regroup' and make a second pass
- Florida closed beaches and COVID testing sites, shut down public transportation and ordered some evacuations Sunday as Tropical Storm Eta took aim , bringing heavy rains to already flooded city streets after leaving scores dead and over 100 missing in Mexico and Central America. Eta made landfall late Sunday on Lower...
Tropical Storm Eta Makes
Landfall on Cuba, Eyes Fla.
Nov 8, 2020 9:03 AM CST
Tropical Storm Eta Makes Landfall on Cuba, Eyes Fla.
Tropical storm warnings issued for southern Florida, Keys
- A strengthened Tropical Storm Eta made landfall on Cuba early Sunday and had its sights set on the southern tip of Florida after leaving dozens dead and over 100 missing in Central America, where it hit last week as a major hurricane. Eta breached Cuba even as searchers in Guatemala...
Rain From Latest
Measure in Feet,
Nov 3, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Rain From Latest Hurricane Could Measure in Feet, Not Inches
Hurricane Eta threatens flooding in Central America
- Hurricane Eta erupted quickly into a potentially catastrophic major hurricane Monday as it headed for Central America, where forecasters warned of massive flooding and landslides across a vulnerable region, the AP reports. Eta was a Category 4 storm with maximum sustained winds of 150mph late Monday, the US National Hurricane...
Here's What's Worrying
New Orleans as
Zeta Takes Aim
Oct 28, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Here's What's Worrying New Orleans as Zeta Takes Aim
Gulf Coast steeling itself for 11th hurricane of the season
- Residents of the storm-pummeled Gulf Coast steeled themselves Tuesday for yet another tropical weather strike as Tropical Storm Zeta took aim at southeast Louisiana, fraying the nerves of evacuees from earlier storms and raising concerns in New Orleans about the low-lying city’s antiquated drainage pump system. Zeta, the 27th...
Gulf Coast Braces for
No One Wants
Oct 27, 2020 1:12 AM CDT
Gulf Coast Braces for Possible Record No One Wants
Zeta could be 11th named storm to make landfall in the US this season
- Yet again, the Gulf Coast is bracing as another hurricane roars toward it. Zeta, the 27th named storm of the 2020 season, was upgraded to a hurricane Monday, NBC News reports. It made landfall on the Caribbean coast of Mexico's eastern Yucatan Peninsula late Monday, the AP reports. It'...
It Continues to Be a Wild
Hurricane Season for Louisiana
Oct 8, 2020 12:09 AM CDT
It Continues to Be a Wild Hurricane Season for Louisiana
'I don’t really remember all the names,' says one resident
- For the sixth time in the Atlantic hurricane season, people in Louisiana are once more fleeing the state's barrier islands and sailing boats to safe harbor while emergency officials ramp up command centers and consider ordering evacuations. The storm being watched Wednesday was Hurricane Delta, the 25th named storm...
We're Down to the Last Name
on the List of Hurricane Names
Sep 16, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
We're Down to the Last Name on the List of Hurricane Names
Then it's on to the Greek alphabet
- The World Meteorological Organization approved a list of 21 Atlantic storm names for the 2020 season. AccuWeather reports there are, on average, 12 named storms in a full season, but at this point, there's only one of the 21 that has gone unused. That would be Wilfred, reports
Sep 16, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Torturously Slow Hurricane Sally Makes Landfall
Category 2 expected to cause dangerous flooding from Fla. Panhandle to Mississippi
- Hurricane Sally made landfall Wednesday morning near Gulf Shores, Ala., as a Category 2 storm, pushing a surge of ocean water onto the coast and dumping torrential rain that forecasters said would cause dangerous flooding from the Florida Panhandle to Mississippi and well inland in the days ahead. Moving at...
A Bad Hurricane
Season Just Got Worse
Aug 6, 2020 4:39 PM CDT
A Bad Hurricane Season Just Got Worse
Forecasters change predictions for storm activity ahead
- Already smashing records, this year's hyperactive Atlantic hurricane season is about to get even nastier, forecasters predict. In the coming months, the AP reports, they expect to run out of traditional hurricane names and see about twice as much storm activity as a normal year. The National Oceanic and...
Hurricane Season Is
Off to an Ominous Start
Jun 2, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Hurricane Season Is Off to an Ominous Start
3rd named storm has formed in record time
- The hurricane season officially began on June 1—but Tropical Storms Arthur and Bertha apparently failed to get the memo, and arrived last month. A tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico has now strengthened to become Tropical Storm Cristobal, setting a record for the earliest third storm of the...
Isn't Great News
May 21, 2020 2:42 PM CDT
Hurricane Forecast Isn't Great News
More storms than usual are forecast for the Atlantic
- Because the pandemic wasn't enough of a challenge: A stronger-than-usual hurricane season is forecast for the Atlantic. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts up to 19 named storms, including up to 10 hurricanes, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The typical numbers are 12 and 6, respectively. Of those...
Ahead of Hurricane Season,
1st Named Storm Forms
May 17, 2020 9:08 AM CDT
Ahead of Hurricane Season, 1st Named Storm Forms
Tropical Storm Arthur is heading toward NC
- Tropical Storm Arthur inched closer to the East Coast on Sunday and was expected to strengthen as it starts to impact North Carolina later in the day. Arthur formed off the coast of Florida on Saturday, reports the AP , making it the sixth straight year for a named storm to...
Hits Category 5
Sep 1, 2019 7:16 AM CDT
'Catastrophic' Dorian Hits Category 5
US East Coast braces for massive slow-moving storm
- Hurricane Dorian has intensified to a Category 5 storm, capable of inflicting catastrophic levels of destruction, as it closes in on the northern Bahamas. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Sunday that Dorian's maximum sustained winds have increased to 160mph, up from 150mph. It is moving west...
We Could Be Looking at the
First Hurricane of the Season
Aug 26, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
We Could Be Looking at the First Hurricane of the Season
Tropical Storm Dorian could reach Category 1 status by Tuesday or Wednesday
- We've entered prime hurricane season—generally the four weeks before and after Sept. 10, reports CNN —and now comes news of the first potential one of this season. Tropical Storm Dorian could become a hurricane as early as Tuesday as it moves into the eastern Caribbean Sea. Accuweather...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
The World Has a New Island
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.