Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,058,400+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Deals Big Blow to One ObamaCare Mandate
In 7-2 ruling, exemptions expanded to requirement that free birth control be on employer health plans
- Obtaining birth control through one's health plan at work may now be more difficult after a Supreme Court ruling Wednesday that expanded exemptions to an ObamaCare contraceptive mandate, NBC News and CNN report. In a 7-2 decision penned by Justice Clarence Thomas, the high court cleared the way for...
Trump Administration to SCOTUS: Strike Down ObamaCare
White House backs case before the Supreme Court
- In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, the Trump administration on Thursday urged the Supreme Court to overturn the Affordable Care Act, the AP reports. The administration's latest high court filing came the same day the government reported that close to half a million people who lost their health...
Health Insurers Score Big Payday at Supreme Court
They're entitled to collect $12B from government in ObamaCare losses
- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that insurance companies can collect $12 billion from the federal government to cover their losses in the early years of the health care law championed by President Obama, per the AP . Insurers are entitled to the money under a provision of ObamaCare that promised the...
Uninsured Won't Be Able to Enroll in Obamacare Right Now
White House declines to institute a special enrollment period for the federal exchanges
- Uninsured Americans will not have Obamacare as an option. The White House on Tuesday night confirmed to Politico that no special enrollment period would take place, though the official told the site the Trump administration is "exploring other options." The annual open enrollment period closed in December, and...
Several States Reopen ObamaCare Enrollment
Federal government is considering a similar move
- Several states that run their own ObamaCare exchanges have reopened enrollment to make it easier for people who have lost their jobs to get health insurance. So far, 11 states have done so, reports the
New York Times
. The bigger question is whether the federal government—which runs the exchange...
Supreme Court Will Again Take Up ObamaCare
Health care law will head back to SCOTUS in upcoming term
- The Supreme Court agreed Monday to decide a lawsuit that threatens the Obama-era health care law, but the decision is not likely until after the 2020 election. The court said it would hear an appeal by 20 mainly Democratic states of a lower-court ruling that declared part of the statute...
Natalie Portman Uses Cape to Call Out Academy
It was embroidered with names of female directors
- Natalie Portman used her cape to send a message to the Academy on the red carpet at this year's Oscars. Portman—who presented the award for best adapted screenplay to
—had the names of female directors not nominated by the Academy embroidered in gold on the left...
Appeals Court Issues Ruling on ObamaCare
The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals declines to reconsider individual mandate
- Reconsider the constitutionality of ObamaCare? We'd rather not. So said the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals Wednesday in a mostly partisan 8-6 vote that left the health-care law in legal limbo, CNN reports. The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals made its decision after ruling 2-1 in December that...
Supreme Court Declines to Fast-Track ObamaCare Review
Trump, red states had asked the high court to decline Democrats' request, and it did
- The Supreme Court refused Tuesday to consider a fast-track review of a lawsuit that threatens the Obama-era health care law, making it highly unlikely that the justices would decide the case before the 2020 election, the AP reports. The court denied a request by 20 mainly Democratic states and the...
20 States Ask Supreme Court to Rule Quickly on ObamaCare
House, Democratic attorneys general request a decision before the elections
- A group of states whose governments are run by Democrats has joined the House in asking the Supreme Court to take up a lawsuit seeking to cancel ObamaCare immediately. The Democrats want the case decided before the elections in November, which would mean the court would have to issue a...
ObamaCare 2020 Numbers Are In
More than 8M sign up, despite uncertainty
- More than 8 million people have signed up for coverage next year under former President Obama's health care law, the government said Friday, showing continued demand for the program despite uncertainty over its future. Preliminary numbers from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services showed that 8.3 million...
New Ruling Goes Against Obamacare
Federal appeals court issues a 2-1 ruling
- A federal appeals court says the "individual mandate" of former President Barack Obama’s health care law is invalid, but other parts of the law need further review, the AP reports. Wednesday’s 2-1 ruling was handed down by a three-judge panel of the 5th US Circuit Court of...
HealthCare.gov Glitches Get Obamacare Deadline Extended
You now have until Wednesday to enroll
- People will get more time to sign up for “Obamacare” health insurance, the Trump administration announced Monday, following a spate of computer glitches over the weekend. The new HealthCare.gov deadline is 3am Eastern time on Wednesday, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said in a statement, per...
Biden Makes His Case: We Can't Kill ObamaCare
He wants to modify it, not scrap it through a 'Medicare for All' approach
- Joe Biden is taking an aggressive approach to defending the Affordable Care Act, challenging not just President Trump but also some of his Democratic rivals who want to replace the current insurance system with a fully government-run model, per the AP . The former vice president will spend much of the...
'Case With Enormous Stakes': ObamaCare in Court Once More
Validity of healthcare law is subject of appeal hearing
- An appeals court was to hear arguments Tuesday on whether Congress effectively invalidated former President Obama's entire signature healthcare law when it zeroed out the tax imposed on those who chose not to buy insurance. It is unclear when the three-judge panel of the 5th US Circuit Court of...
Trump Administration Asks Court to Kill All of ObamaCare
They say it would be wrong to only strike down parts of it
- The Trump administration says it wants to euthanize ObamaCare, not perform surgery on it. In a court filing Wednesday, the administration and a coalition of 18 Republican-led states formally asked a federal appeals court to strike down the entire Affordable Care Act, the
New York Times
reports. In the filing...
Trump Renews Criticism of John McCain
Widow Cindy McCain disputes report she will endorse Joe Biden
- President Trump renewed his criticism of the late John McCain on Thursday, telling Sean Hannity of Fox News that McCain "did the nation a tremendous disservice" when he voted against a Republican bill to repeal ObamaCare in 2017. "John McCain, at the very last moment, late in the...
Trump: ObamaCare Plan Will Wait Until After 2020
President won't push for an alternative before the election
- President Trump shifted strategy on ObamaCare in a series of late-night tweets: He still hates it, but he won't push for a Republican alternative until after the 2020 election, reports Bloomberg . "Everybody agrees that ObamaCare doesn’t work," he wrote . "Premiums & deductibles are far too...
Trump Dealt His Second Health-Care Blow of the Week
His small-business health insurance plan is struck down
- The Trump administration once again set its sights on ObamaCare this week , but it was also a week spent absorbing health-care punches, not just throwing them. Blow one: A federal judge on Wednesday blocked Medicaid work requirements in Arkansas and Kentucky. Blow two: Another federal judge on Thursday struck down...
Democrats 'Thrilled' by Trump's ObamaCare Move
Return to issue 'a birthday present for Pelosi'
- Democrats feeling dejected after the Robert Mueller report failed to meet their expectations didn't have to wait long for a boost. On Monday, the Trump administration asked a federal appeals court to strike down ObamaCare , giving Democrats an opportunity to return to a key campaign issue. The administration, which...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Knock-Down' Fight Erupts in Oval Office
Mass Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, Some 20 Injured
Massive Fire Hits Home of Rachael Ray
Trump Sparks GOP Panic by Attacking Major Donor
McDonald's CEO Scandal Just Got Worse
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.