Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Back in Play
Dec 18, 2021 7:45 AM CST
Federal Appeals Court Puts Biden Mandate Back in Play
6th US Circuit Court of Appeals frees up vaccine, testing rule for businesses with 100-plus workers
- As some states continue to push back on the Biden administration's vaccine mandate for private employers, the president saw a victory on that front Friday after a federal appeals court reinstated the vaccine and testing requirement for businesses, reports CNBC . The ruling by the 6th US Circuit Court of...
With This Year's Flu Vaccine,
a 'Major Mismatch'
Dec 17, 2021 8:35 AM CST
With This Year's Flu Vaccine, a 'Major Mismatch'
Scientists say vax isn't helping much to prevent infection, but can still fend off serious illness, death
- Health experts, including those at the CDC , are urging the public to not only get vaccinated against COVID, but also against the flu. New research suggests, however, that one of the main strains of the influenza virus that's now going around has mutated, and that this year's flu...
Kroger Cuts a Key Benefit
for Unvaccinated Workers
Dec 16, 2021 1:26 PM CST
Kroger Cuts a Key Benefit for Unvaccinated Workers
They'll no longer receive COVID sick pay
- To boost employee vaccination rates earlier this year, Kroger used the carrot—a $100 bonus for every fully vaccinated worker. Now, it's going for the stick. The grocery giant says it will end some benefits for unvaccinated employees and bring in insurance surcharges as of Jan. 1, the
Guy Posing as
Others May Have
Jabs in a Day
Dec 14, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Guy Posing as Others May Have Received 10 Jabs in a Day
New Zealand health authorities won't alter vaccine rules and start asking for photo ID
- Health authorities in New Zealand are investigating claims that a man received up to 10 COVID-19 vaccination doses in a single day while posing as other people. To receive a vaccine, New Zealanders need only give their name, date of birth, and address. To aid accessibility, photo identification isn't...
NYC Getting One of Nation's
Toughest Vaccine Mandates
Dec 6, 2021 10:50 AM CST
NYC Getting One of Nation's Toughest Vaccine Mandates
De Blasio imposes rule on private sector employers
- All private employers in New York City will have to require their workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19, the mayor said Monday, imposing one of the most aggressive vaccine rules in the nation. The move by Mayor Bill de Blasio comes as cases are climbing again in the US and...
Guy Who Tried to
Get Shot in Fake Arm
Gets Vaccine for Real
Dec 4, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Guy Who Tried to Get Shot in Fake Arm Gets Vaccine for Real
Dentist in Italy says phony limb was protest against vaccine mandates
: An Italian dentist who tried to get a COVID vaccine in a fake arm says he got the vaccine for real the next day. Dr. Guido Russo told a talk show Wednesday night that he's not anti-vaccination, but he wanted to protest vaccine mandates, the AP reports. "...
BioNTech Founder: Omicron
Unlikely to Cause Severe Cases
Nov 30, 2021 11:36 AM CST
BioNTech Founder: Omicron Unlikely to Cause Severe Cases
Ugur Sahin says vaccinated people should have protection against new variant
- The seesawing of sentiment on the omicron variant continues. The co-founder of BioNTech, the company that partnered with Pfizer on a COVID vaccine, has weighed in with comments that are relatively optimistic. Ugur Sahin tells the
Wall Street Journal
that the company's existing vaccine should prevent serious illness among...
Thousands in LA Schools
May Have to Enroll Elsewhere
Nov 23, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Thousands in LA Schools May Have to Enroll Elsewhere
44K students haven't proven they've had COVID vaccine, and mandate deadline looms
- In the Los Angeles Unified School District, the second-biggest school district in the US, nearly 80% of students look set to comply with its mandate requiring students ages 12 and older to be vaccinated against COVID by Jan. 10, per district officials. On the flip side, that still leaves about...
Vaccine Lab Worker Cleaning
Freezer Makes Disturbing Find
in case you missed it
Nov 21, 2021 4:29 PM CST
Vaccine Lab Worker Cleaning Freezer Makes Disturbing Find
FBI, CDC investigating 15 'questionable vials,' some labeled 'smallpox,' found at Merck facility near Philly
- What started out as a routine chore in a Pennsylvania vaccine research lab this week has ended up attracting the attention of the FBI and CDC. According to an alert sent out Tuesday by the Department of Homeland Security, a worker at a Merck facility near Philly, in Montgomery County,...
Tests Positive for Hepatitis
Nov 21, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Starbucks Worker Tests Positive for Hepatitis
Customers at a New Jersey location should get vaccinated, health officials say
- An employee at a New Jersey Starbucks kept working after testing positive for hepatitis A, health officials say—and even handled food. Thousands of people could be at risk, and Camden County officials advise customers to get vaccinated within 14 days of their visit, CNN reports. The Blackwood Clementon Road...
Alzheimer's Vaccine Delivered
via the Nose to Be Tested
Nov 17, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Alzheimer's Vaccine Delivered via the Nose to Be Tested
The vaccine is intended to both prevent Alzheimer's and slow its progress
- Dr. Howard Weiner has spent 20 years on research leading up to this moment: the "landmark first human trial" of an Alzheimer's disease nasal vaccine. Sixteen people ranging in age from 60 to 85 will get two doses over the course of two weeks at the Ann Romney...
Doctor Against Vax Mandates
Has Her Privileges Yanked
Nov 15, 2021 8:52 AM CST
Doctor Against Vax Mandates Has Her Privileges Yanked
Houston Methodist says Dr. Mary Bowden has spread 'dangerous misinformation' on COVID
- A Texas hospital has suspended the privileges of one of its doctors for airing her "dangerous" views on the coronavirus vaccine. Per KTRK , Houston Methodist announced Friday evening it had yanked privileges for ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr. Mary Bowden, who the hospital says had been "using...
They Reluctantly Get Vaxxed,
Then Try to 'Detox' From It
Nov 12, 2021 10:07 AM CST
They Reluctantly Get Vaxxed, Then Try to 'Detox' From It
Anti-vaxxers feeling forced by mandates are trying to 'reverse' their injections
- As vaccine mandates continue to go into effect across the US, some who were initially resistant are caving. That's giving rise to a new group: those who reluctantly get vaccinated in order to keep working or go to school then try to "detox" from the vaccine. Per NBC...
Report: Emilio Estevez,
Part Ways Over Vax
Nov 6, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Report: Emilio Estevez,
Part Ways Over Vax
Actor reportedly won't be back for Disney+ show after not complying with vaccine mandate
- If you're eagerly awaiting the next season of
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers
, recently renewed for a second installation on Disney+, be aware there's apparently one big casting cut. Yahoo Entertainment reports that Emilio Estevez won't be reprising his role as coach Gordon Bombay, which he also...
Feds Cancel $628M Deal
With Vaccine Maker
Nov 5, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Feds Cancel $628M Deal With Vaccine Maker
Millions of doses were ruined at troubled Emergent BioSolutions plant
- The federal government's contract with vaccine manufacturer Emergent BioSolutions has been canceled—and as with the end of many troubled relationships, there's disagreement over who decided to call it quits first. Emergent CEO Robert Kramer said Thursday that the government "agreed to the company's request to...
For This Cancer,
a 'Historic Moment'
Nov 4, 2021 11:32 AM CDT
For This Cancer, a 'Historic Moment'
Cases of cervical cancer slashed by up to 87% thanks to HPV vaccine, new research shows
- Hundreds of thousands of women around the world are killed annually by cervical cancer, the fourth most common cancer. Now, a new study offers hope that those fatality numbers could one day be drastically slashed, thanks to what researchers are calling "historic" findings regarding the human papillomavirus, or HPV,...
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty
in COVID Vaccine Scam
Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty in COVID Vaccine Scam
Fake site set up to look just like Moderna's offered supposed doses for $30 a pop, feds say
- Earlier this year, before COVID vaccines were readily available to eligible patients, a website suddenly popped up advertising Moderna doses for $30 each. That site turned out to be a fake, and now a Maryland man has owned up to his role in getting it up and running. The
On Maine's Vax Mandate,
Supreme Court Turns Away
Oct 30, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
On Maine's Vax Mandate, Supreme Court Turns Away
High court won't block the directive, which went into effect for health care workers in Maine on Friday
- The Supreme Court has rejected an emergency appeal from health care workers in Maine to block a vaccine mandate that went into effect Friday. Three conservative justices noted their dissents. The state isn't offering a religious exemption to hospital and nursing home workers who risk losing their jobs if...
Moderna Touts Results
of Vaccine for Children 6 to 11
Oct 25, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Moderna Touts Results of Vaccine for Children 6 to 11
Company is awaiting FDA approval of its product for teenagers
- Moderna said Monday that a low dose of its COVID-19 vaccine is safe and appears to work in 6- to 11-year-olds, as the manufacturer joins Pfizer in moving toward expanding shots to children. Moderna hasn't received the go-ahead to offer its vaccine to teens but is studying lower doses...
WH Has Vaccines Ready
to Roll for Kids 5-11
Oct 20, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
WH Has Vaccines Ready to Roll for Kids 5-11
Biden administration unveils plan for inoculating younger children once FDA, CDC give OK
- "Another major milestone" is on the horizon in the fight against COVID, and this time it centers on some of our youngest Americans. CNN reports that the Biden administration has enough vaccine doses for the 28 million children in the US who are ages 5 to 11, as a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.