Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
House Oversight Committee
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge: House Panel Can See
Some Trump Tax Records
Aug 11, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Judge: House Panel Can See Some Trump Tax Records
Ruling allows access on issues related to emoluments clause
- A judge agreed Wednesday that a House committee has a right to see former President Trump's tax records, within limits. US District Judge Amit Mehta in Washington said the House Oversight Committee may subpoena some of the documents from Trump's accounting firm, Mazars. The former president has fought...
Baby Foods Contain
Toxic Heavy Metals: Report
Feb 5, 2021 2:47 PM CST
Baby Foods Contain Toxic Heavy Metals: Report
House panel pushes FDA to set standards
- A House Oversight Committee report says alarming levels of toxic heavy metals—including arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury—have been found in major-label baby food products. The heavy metals can imperil infant neurological development in infants. The subcommittee's chairman expressed frustration with federal regulators, the
Democrats: DeJoy May
Have Broken the Law—Twice
Sep 8, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Democrats: DeJoy May Have Broken the Law—Twice
He's accused of campaign finance violations, lying under oath
- House Democrats are calling for the immediate suspension of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy as they investigate alleged campaign finance violations . The USPS "never should have hired (him) in the first place," Rep. Carolyn Maloney, chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, said late Monday, per the...
Nadler to Barr:
'Shame on You'
Jul 28, 2020 3:18 PM CDT
Nadler to Barr: 'Shame on You'
AG appears at combative House hearing
- After 18 months in office, Attorney General William Barr made his first appearance before the House Judiciary Committee Tuesday—and he clashed with Democrats, including Rep. Jerrold Nadler, right from the start. In his opening remarks, Nadler, the committee chairman, said the Trump administration had "twisted the Department of...
Court Rejects Trump's Appeal
in Fight Over Financial Records
Nov 14, 2019 2:38 AM CST
Court Rejects Trump's Appeal in Fight Over Financial Records
President expected to appeal to Supreme Court
- A federal appeals court will not take up President Trump’s appeal of a ruling that his accounting firm must turn over financial records to Congress . The order was handed down Wednesday by the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. It is almost certain that Trump...
Rep. Elijah Cummings Dies
Oct 17, 2019 5:17 AM CDT
Rep. Elijah Cummings Dies
Democrat chaired powerful House committee
- Rep. Elijah Cummings died early Thursday at Johns Hopkins Hospital due to complications from longstanding health challenges, his congressional office says. He was 68. A sharecropper's son, Cummings became the powerful chairman of a House committee that investigated President Trump, and was a formidable orator who passionately advocated for...
C-17 Mission Stopped
at Trump Resort
Sep 7, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
C-17 Mission Stopped at Trump Resort
House committee looks into US spending near Turnberry
- The House Oversight Committee is trying to find out why a C-17 military transport plane carrying supplies in the spring from the US to Kuwait stopped at President Trump's resort in Scotland. The five-person crew stayed at the Turnberry resort, about 50 miles from Glasgow, on both legs of...
House Panel Not OK With
Kellyanne Conway's No-Show
Jun 26, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
House Panel Not OK With Kellyanne Conway's No-Show
House Oversight Committee votes 25-16 to subpoena her over Hatch Act violations
- Kellyanne Conway didn't appear before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday—and so that same committee voted to subpoena her testimony. It's looking into allegations that she repeatedly violated the Hatch Act, a federal law that bars federal employees from engaging in politics while on the job. The...
White House Won't Allow
Kellyanne Conway to Testify
Jun 25, 2019 1:59 AM CDT
White House Won't Allow Kellyanne Conway to Testify
House committee is reviewing her alleged Hatch Act violations
- The White House said Monday it will not allow presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway to appear before a House committee looking into allegations that she repeatedly violated a federal law that limits political activity by government workers. The White House refusal, outlined in a letter from White House lawyer Pat Cipollone,...
House Oversight Committee
Backs Contempt Vote
Jun 12, 2019 3:59 PM CDT
House Oversight Committee Backs Contempt Vote
Panel votes to hold Barr, Ross in contempt over 2020 census citizenship question
- A House committee voted Wednesday to hold two top Trump administration officials in contempt of Congress for failing to comply with subpoenas for documents related to a decision adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census, the AP reports. The Democratic-controlled House Oversight Committee voted 24-15 to advance contempt measures...
Contempt Vote Delayed
After Trump Asserts Privilege
Jun 12, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Contempt Vote Delayed After Trump Asserts Privilege
At issue are subpoenaed census documents
- The Justice Department on Tuesday warned of the move, and on Wednesday it came to pass. President Trump has exerted executive privilege over documents related to his administration's addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The
reports those documents include drafts of a letter penned by...
Moves to Hold
Jun 3, 2019 4:46 PM CDT
House Panel Moves to Hold Barr, Ross in Contempt
Over census question
- The House Oversight Committee is moving to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt of Congress for failing to comply with subpoenas for documents related to the Trump administration's decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census, the AP reports. Rep. Elijah...
Trump Sues Over Democrats'
Use of Subpoena Power
Apr 22, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Trump Sues Over Democrats' Use of Subpoena Power
House panel wants 10 years of financial records from his accounting firm
- A House panel is using its power to demand access to President Trump's financial records. On Monday, however, Trump sued to block the effort and said Democrats were abusing their power, reports the
. The legal fight stems from a move last week by Rep. Elijah Cummings, chair of...
Key Dem: Lawyer
Ivanka, Jared Email Use
Mar 22, 2019 6:17 AM CDT
Key Dem: Lawyer Confirmed Worrying Ivanka, Jared Email Use
Rep. Elijah Cummings says Kushner also used WhatsApp for official business
- The president's son-in-law is up to date with technology but possibly not with the Presidential Records Act. House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings said Thursday that a lawyer for Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner told him that Kushner, a White Houser adviser, used the encrypted messaging service WhatsApp for...
White House: Dems Can't See
Kushner Clearance Documents
Mar 6, 2019 6:01 AM CST
White House: Dems Can't See Kushner Clearance Documents
Lawyer calls request 'radically intrusive'
- The White House says it isn't going to comply with a "radically intrusive" request from Democrats to see documents related to the controversial top-secret security clearance of Jared Kushner. In a letter to the House Oversight Committee, White House counsel Pat Cippolone argued that the committee did not...
Trump Blames Cohen Hearing
for Collapse of Kim Summit
Mar 4, 2019 6:08 AM CST
Trump Blames Cohen Hearing for Collapse of Kim Summit
He calls it 'perhaps a new low in American politics'
- President Trump slammed what he called "perhaps a new low in American politics" on Sunday: The congressional testimony of his former lawyer while he was in Vietnam for a summit with Kim Jong Un. Trump suggested Michael Cohen's testimony may have contributed to the collapse of the summit,...
Explosive Michael Cohen
Feb 27, 2019 2:25 AM CST
Explosive Michael Cohen Testimony Released
He calls Trump 'racist,' 'conman'
- President Trump is in Vietnam—and he is not going to have a good morning after he sees the explosive testimony Michael Cohen is going to deliver to the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday. Cohen, Trump's personal lawyer for more than a decade, describes his former boss as a...
Cohen to Level Serious
Charge Against Trump
Feb 26, 2019 12:18 PM CST
Cohen to Level Serious Charge Against Trump
He's expected to tell Congress his former boss engaged in criminal conduct as president
- President Trump is in Vietnam this week, but it's a safe bet he'll be keeping a close eye on Michael Cohen's testimony before Congress. The stakes? It "could be the most damaging for a president since former White House Counsel John Dean helped bring down Richard...
Plan to Sell Nuclear Plants
to Saudis Under New Scrutiny
Feb 19, 2019 1:09 PM CST
Plan to Sell Nuclear Plants to Saudis Under New Scrutiny
Michael Flynn pushed proposal over the objections of ethics and security advisers
- Senior White House officials pushed a project to share nuclear power technology with Saudi Arabia despite the objections of ethics and national security officials, according to a new congressional report citing whistleblowers within the administration. Lawmakers from both parties have expressed concerns that Saudi Arabia could develop nuclear weapons if...
With Investigating Trump
Jan 23, 2019 7:47 AM CST
Ocasio-Cortez Tasked With Investigating Trump
She's one of 3 newcomers named to House Oversight Committee
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has joined her second House committee—and it's the primary investigative body that will soon hear testimony from President Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen. The House Oversight Committee on Tuesday announced the 29-year-old congresswoman from New York as one of four new Democratic members, but she'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Model Died After an LA Party. Now Her Friend Is Brain-Dead
61 People Have Been Stuck in a Pub Since Friday
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
Jack Dorsey: Yes, I'm Leaving Twitter
Omicron Variant Detected in North America
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.