Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
430-Foot Ride Will Be Taken
Down After Teenager's Death
Oct 6, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
430-Foot Ride Will Be Taken Down After Teenager's Death
Ride operator says decision is in keeping with wishes of Tyre Sampson's family
: A Florida attraction from which a 14-year-old boy fell to his death in March is being dismantled, the ride's operator announced Thursday. The death of Tyre Sampson is the reason, CNN reports. ICON Park said it appreciated the decision by the operator, Orlando Slingshot, to take down the...
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
The City of Orlando's July 4
Message Didn't Land Well
Jul 5, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
The City of Orlando's July 4 Message Didn't Land Well
It's now apologizing for message acknowledging some might not feel like celebrating the holiday
- Orlando's Independence Day message was seemingly an attempt to commiserate with those unhappy and stressed over recent events in the news, but all it did was create a backlash that extended all the way to the Florida governor's office. The city newsletter that went out on Friday acknowledged...
Want to Get (and Stay)
Married? Here's Where to Go
Jun 12, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Want to Get (and Stay) Married? Here's Where to Go
LawnStarter ranks the best US cities for wedded bliss
- Maybe there actually is something to getting married in front of Cinderella Castle. Orlando, Fla., where the "happiest place on Earth" (Disney World) is located, is just one of the entries making up the top 10 in LawnStarter's ranking of the best US cities to get (and stay)...
Mom Charged After
2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Jun 7, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Mom Charged After 2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Florida couple kept their gun unsecured in a home with 3 children, police say
- A Florida woman is facing a manslaughter charge after her 2-year-old son fatally shot his father in the back. Marie Ayala, 28, of Orlando said she heard a "loud pop" on May 26 before finding 26-year-old father of three Reggie Mabry bleeding on the floor of their home, per...
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
Places to Start a Career
May 16, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst Places to Start a Career
Salt Lake City is where to head
- It's graduation season, which means young adults are now earnestly seeking their first post-college jobs. WalletHub wanted to see which locations offer the best potential for jump-starting one's career, so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining two dozen-plus metrics in...
Deputy Heard Baby's Cries
Amid Fire, Started Climbing
Apr 27, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Deputy Heard Baby's Cries Amid Fire, Started Climbing
William Puzynski saves 1-year-old girl from 3rd-floor balcony in Orlando
- A local sheriff's deputy was in the right place at the right time when an apartment building in Orlando, Fla., went up in flames over the weekend. Per WKMG , William Puzynski of the Orange County Sheriff's Office was on patrol around 4am Saturday when a call was radioed...
Park, Ride Manufacturer
Sued Over Fatal Fall
Apr 25, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
Park, Ride Manufacturer Sued Over Fatal Fall
14-year-old's parents argue negligence in Florida case
- The parents of Tyre Sampson, who was killed in a fall from a ride in Orlando, have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against ICON Park, the ride's owner and manufacturer, and others. The 14-year-old from St. Louis died last month after falling from the 430-foot Free Fall ride. The...
'I Can Ride,' Teen Exclaimed
Moments Before Death
Mar 30, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
'I Can Ride,' Teen Exclaimed Moments Before Death
Cousin Shay Johnson recalls her last conversation with Tyre Sampson
- Tyre Sampson was turned away from rides during his visit to Orlando's ICON Park, just not the one that killed him. That's according to his cousin, Shay Johnson, who dropped off the 14-year-old at the amusement park on Thursday. She tells Spectrum News 13 that he wanted to...
Boy Killed in
Fall From Ride
Mar 29, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Boy Killed in Fall From Ride Exceeded Weight Limit
Manual for Orlando ride gives max weight as 287 pounds; Tyre Sampson reportedly weighed 340
- The 14-year-old boy who died after a fall from a 430-foot drop tower ride at Orlando's ICON Park "fell right out of the seat" as the plunging 30-seat circular vehicle started braking, according to a 911 call. "The thing went down the drop, and like when it...
Getting on Ride,
His Father Says
Mar 27, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
14-Year-Old Was Worried After Getting on Ride, His Father Says
After fatal fall, 911 caller said teenager wasn't secured by a seat belt
- Tyre Sampson knew something was wrong before he reached the top of the 430-foot amusement park ride from which he fell to his death, his father said. "He was panicking when he was going up,” Yarnell Sampson said, per WOFL . "He was explaining to his friend next...
Looking for a Job?
Check Out These Cities
Jan 4, 2022 5:52 PM CST
Looking for a Job? Check Out These Cities
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's list
- New year, new career—or at least a gig that's better than the one you've got? If a more satisfying or better-paying job is on your list of 2022 goals, some cities may be better bets than others, according to WalletHub . The site looked at more than 180...
DNA on Beer Cans Helps
Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Nov 9, 2021 9:50 AM CST
DNA on Beer Cans Helps Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Kenneth Stough Jr. is accused of killing a convenience store manager in Orlando in 1996
- A discarded Budweiser beer can has led authorities to a man accused of stabbing a convenience store manager 73 times in 1996. Terrence Paquette, 31, was preparing to open the Lil' Champ Food Store in Orlando, Fla., before 6am on Feb. 3, 1996, when he was gruesomely attacked, per KIRO...
Oct 2, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Missing Student's Remains Found
Miya Marcano, 19, had disappeared a week ago in Florida
The body of a college student who had been missing for a week has been found in Florida, authorities said Saturday. Authorities discovered Miya Marcano's remains at an apartment building, the AP reports. Orange County Sheriff John Mina said the cause of death is not yet known. Cellphone...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
Has to Change Its Name
May 29, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Orlando Airport Has to Change Its Name
Florida had 2 with the name, but Melbourne operation must tweak for clarity
- After years of fighting and litigation over who can include “Orlando” in the name of their central Florida airport, Orlando International Airport officials and Orlando Melbourne International Airport officials have tentatively agreed that the latter will tweak its name to Melbourne Orlando International Airport, per the AP . The Melbourne...
Memorial Day Travelers
Can Expect Airport Lines
May 28, 2021 1:05 PM CDT
Memorial Day Travelers Can Expect Airport Lines
Numbers are back up around pre-pandemic levels
- Americans hit the road in near-record numbers at the start of the Memorial Day weekend, as their eagerness to break free from coronavirus confinement overcame higher prices for flights, gasoline and hotels, per the AP . More than 1.8 million people went through US airports on Thursday, and the number...
Woman Allegedly Tried on
$15K Ring, Walked Out With It
Mar 5, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Woman Allegedly Tried on $15K Ring, Walked Out With It
Jannet Novelo-Aqela faces felony charge of grand theft
- A Florida woman has been arrested almost a month after she allegedly snagged a $15,000 diamond ring from a jewelry store in Key West. The manager of Gold Silver Creations says that on Feb. 10 a female shopper in a floral jumpsuit tried on a three-diamond, 14-karat white gold...
Faces DUI Charge
Feb 19, 2021 3:38 PM CST
Johnny Damon Faces DUI Charge
Police report says officers saw SUV swerving on road, hitting a guardrail
- Former Major League outfielder Johnny Damon was charged with driving under the influence in Florida early Friday after police said they saw his SUV swerve on the road, then hit a curb and guardrail. His wife, Michelle Mangan-Damon, also was arrested, TMZ reports, on charges of committing battery on an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes Horribly Wrong for Couple
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.