Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's the Deadliest US
Mass Shooting to Go to Trial
Apr 4, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
It's the Deadliest US Mass Shooting to Go to Trial
Jury selection begins in Parkland case to determine whether Nikolas Cruz will be executed
- Jury selection in the deadliest US mass shooting ever to go to trial begins Monday, with the panel chosen to determine whether Nikolas Cruz will be put to death for murdering 17 students and staff members at a high school in Parkland, Fla. Court officials say 1,500 candidates or...
Juror Says It Was 'Tough to
Convict' the 'Likable' Holmes
Jan 5, 2022 8:23 AM CST
Juror Says It Was 'Tough to Convict' the 'Likable' Holmes
Still, juror No. 6 Wayne Kaatz says he and his peers didn't find Theranos founder very credible
- On Monday, the jury in the Elizabeth Holmes trial handed down guilty verdicts on four of the fraud and conspiracy charges against the Theranos founder, though it was a "tough" process, one of the jurors now reveals. Wayne Kaatz, aka Juror No. 6, tells ABC News that he and...
Holmes Jury Says It Is
Deadlocked on 3 Counts
Jan 3, 2022 2:17 PM CST
Holmes Jury Says It Is Deadlocked on 3 Counts
Judge tells them to keep deliberating
: The jury in the Elizabeth Holmes case was sent back to the deliberation room Monday after they told the judge they were deadlocked on three of the 11 fraud counts against the former Theranos CEO. The jurors—who began deliberations before Christmas—didn't say which of the counts...
Holmes Jury Won't
Have Verdict Before 2022
Dec 30, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Holmes Jury Won't Have Verdict Before 2022
Closed-door meeting suggests plea deal could be in the works for former Theranos CEO
- The jury weighing fraud charges against former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes departed court Wednesday without reaching a verdict after six days of deliberations. It won't resume discussions until after the upcoming New Year's holiday weekend. The eight men and four women on the jury had been expected to...
Tell Judge They
Have Plans on
Dec 23, 2021 6:23 AM CST
Maxwell Jurors Tell Judge They Have Plans on Thursday
Jurors head home for Christmas without reaching a verdict; trial to resume Monday
- If Ghislaine Maxwell had hoped to receive closure on her legal fate before her 60th birthday, which falls on Christmas Day, that gift won't be coming. Still, the Jeffrey Epstein associate "looked happy" Wednesday upon finding out the jury in her sex trafficking trial hasn't yet reached...
Judge Locks MSNBC Out
of Kenosha Courthouse
Nov 18, 2021 4:34 PM CST
Judge Locks MSNBC Out of Kenosha Courthouse
Freelancer may have been following jury's van
- While the jury in the Kyle Rittenhouse homicide trial is deliberating, the judge decided to bar MSNBC crews from the Wisconsin courthouse. The order followed reports that a network freelancer may have been following a bus carrying jurors, Fox News reports. Judge Bruce Schroeder said Thursday that the freelancer was...
Nov 15, 2021 7:30 PM CST
Judge Gives Rittenhouse Jury Instructions
Don't listen to outside opinions, Schroeder says, even a president's
- Kyle Rittenhouse's fate is up to the jurors now, Judge Bruce Schroeder told them Monday evening, saying their job is to "determine whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty as to each of the offenses charged or submitted." A prosecutor had the last word during the...
in R. Kelly Trial
Sep 24, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Jury Deliberates in R. Kelly Trial
Accusers stayed for the 'lavish lifestyle,' defense says, while prosecutor calls him a predator
- R. Kelly's fate is now in a jury's hands, after weeks of lurid testimony in his sexual misconduct trial. A jury of seven men and five women began deliberating racketeering and sex-trafficking charges against the R&B superstar Friday, the AP reports. Prosecutors and defense attorneys finished their...
Chauvin Juror: Here's Why
It Took Us as Long as It Did
Apr 28, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Chauvin Juror: Here's Why It Took Us as Long as It Did
Brandon Mitchell says most of the deliberation time was spent going over terminology
- A juror who cast one of the unanimous votes to convict a white former Minneapolis police officer of killing George Floyd said deliberations were primarily spent trying to convince one person who was uncertain about part of the jury instructions. Brandon Mitchell is the first juror that deliberated in Derek...
Derek Chauvin Will Face
Another Murder Charge
Mar 11, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Derek Chauvin Will Face Another Murder Charge
Judge approves 3rd-degree murder charge in George Floyd case; jury selection proceeds
- A judge on Thursday granted prosecutors' request to add a third-degree murder charge against the former Minneapolis police officer charged in George Floyd's death, per the AP . Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill reinstated the charge after the former officer, Derek Chauvin, failed to get appellate courts to block it....
Now a Thing:
Jury Trial via Zoom
May 19, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Now a Thing: Jury Trial via Zoom
Texas tries it out for what's believed to be the first time
- For what officials believe is the first time since the US went into coronavirus lockdown, a virtual jury trial was held Monday. Lawyers in Texas' Collin County selected a jury from among the more than two dozen potential jurors who logged in to the videoconference, Reuters reports. They then served...
Jury to Former PBS Host:
You Owe at Least $1.5M
Mar 4, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Jury to Former PBS Host: You Owe at Least $1.5M
Tavis Smiley loses court case over sexual-misconduct claims
- Tavis Smiley suffered a crushing legal blow Wednesday when jurors decided he has to pay at least $1.5 million to PBS over relationships with six female employees, the
reports. The Washington, DC, jury needed about 1 1/2 days to determine that the former talk-show host had violated...
#MeToo Didn't Affect Trial,
Weinstein Juror Says
Feb 28, 2020 3:37 PM CST
#MeToo Didn't Affect Trial, Weinstein Juror Says
Unsealed documents show judge wouldn't kick foreman out for smiling at prosecutor
- The jury that convicted Harvey Weinstein of rape and sex assault did not consider the trial's implications for the #MeToo movement, one of the jurors said in an interview aired Friday. "No, zero, absolutely zero," juror Drew Malbin said on
CBS This Morning
. "Because it’s...
Jurors Get an Eyeful:
Nude Pictures of Weinstein
Feb 5, 2020 9:04 AM CST
Jurors Get an Eyeful: Nude Pictures of Weinstein
It's not clear why photos taken by Manhattan DA's office were passed around
- Harvey Weinstein's rape trial took what the
New York Post
calls a "cringeworthy" turn on Tuesday, with jurors being shown at least five nude photos of the 67-year-old disgraced film producer, including one full-frontal shot. Per Reuters , a photographer for the Manhattan DA's office testified he took...
Sheriff Steps in After 140
People Skip Jury Duty
Jun 23, 2019 5:35 PM CDT
Sheriff Steps in After 140 People Skip Jury Duty
Courts in one Georgia county were facing a crisis
- A Georgia sheriff says he had to get involved when nearly three-fourths of people summoned for jury duty in his county failed to show up for court, the AP reports. Courts in Laurens County faced a small crisis last week when only 60 people showed up for jury duty out...
'40 Years of Corporate
Malfeasance': a 2nd
Ruling on Roundup
Mar 20, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
'40 Years of Corporate Malfeasance': a 2nd Ruling on Roundup
Jury finds weed killer caused Edwin Hardeman's cancer; next phase is whether Bayer AG is liable
- Only two cases out of more than 11,000 Roundup suits have gone to trial in the US, and as of Tuesday, they both had the same result: A jury found that the glyphosate-filled weed killer causes cancer. Reuters notes that's only phase one, however, in Edwin Hardeman's...
Judge Claimed Jury Was
Wrong—Because God Said So
Mar 7, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Judge Claimed Jury Was Wrong—Because God Said So
Judge Jack Robison given public warning in Texas
- Told jurors had found a woman guilty of continuous sex trafficking and the sale or purchase of a child, a Texas judge demanded they keep deliberating because God had assured him the defendant was innocent. Comal County District Court Judge Jack Robison received a public warning after claiming on Jan....
The El Chapo Jury Is Still
Deliberating. Here's Why
Feb 12, 2019 10:15 AM CST
The El Chapo Jury Is Still Deliberating. Here's Why
The first of 10 counts has 27 separate violations to assess. Then there are 9 more counts
- The trial itself was riveting in a made-for-the-movies kind of way. Jurors in the El Chapo case in New York heard about murders , mistresses , daring escapes , massive bribes , and much more. You might have even envied jurors for their front-row seats. Now, not so much. The jury deciding whether Joaquin...
Revenge-Porn Guy Hit
With Huge Payment
Jul 28, 2018 1:20 PM CDT
Revenge-Porn Guy Hit With Huge Payment
California man Andre Pompey is told to fork up
- Time to pay, Andre: California man Andre Pompey was ordered this week to pay his revenge-porn victim $5.15 million and fork out an additional $150,000 as punishment,
reports. "She wanted to stand up for herself," says Katrina Saleen, attorney of the 35-year-old woman who...
Man Wins Massive Sum After
Canceled HIV Test
Jun 20, 2018 3:52 PM CDT
Man Wins Massive Sum After Canceled HIV Test
A federal jury in Boston has awarded $18.4 million to Sean Stentiford
- A federal jury has awarded $18.4 million in damages to a man who said in a lawsuit that two doctors failed to test him for HIV, which allowed the virus to progress to AIDS. The
reports the jury ruled Monday in favor of 48-year-old Sean Stentiford...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
For US Savings Accounts, Another Shift Is Unfolding
He Was Hesitant About Going to Parade, Ended Up Dead
Also Not in Constitution: Court Having Final Say
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.