Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawmakers Bring Socialism
Back to Wisconsin Legislature
Jan 8, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Lawmakers Bring Socialism Back to Wisconsin Legislature
Elected officials in the past succeeded by focusing on issues such as infrastructure, public health
- It's been 90 years, but socialism is back in the Wisconsin Legislature. After taking their oaths of office Tuesday, two freshman Assembly members made it their first order of business to revive a socialist caucus that has been dormant since the 1930s, the AP reports. As self-identified democratic socialists—...
Wife Allegedly Tried to Kill Vet
With Drugs He Used on Animals
Jan 6, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Wife Allegedly Tried to Kill Vet With Drugs He Used on Animals
Authorities say Amanda Chapin put euthanasia drug in his coffee
- The wife of a Wisconsin veterinarian tried to send him over the Rainbow Bridge with drugs that he used on animals, authorities say. Amanda Chapin, 50, has been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in connection with three alleged poisonings of 70-year-old Gary Chapin months after they were married in...
Snow Day in Most
in case you missed it
Dec 25, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Principal Announces Snow Day in Most Unexpected Way
Wisconsin's Jack Knaack has been preparing for this moment for years, he says
- Although an intense winter storm is wreaking havoc across the nation, it was somewhat surprising that a Wisconsin school shuttered on Friday, as its principal notes they haven't called a snow day in "many years," per NBC 26 . Even more surprising, however, was the way Jack Knaack...
TikTok Gets Smacked
Down by Multiple States
Dec 7, 2022 9:20 AM CST
TikTok Gets Smacked Down by Multiple States
Maryland, South Dakota, South Carolina cite cybersecurity risks in ban on government devices
- Maryland is banning the use of TikTok and certain China- and Russia-based platforms in the state's executive branch of government, Gov. Larry Hogan said Tuesday, citing an unacceptable cybersecurity risk to the state. The Republican governor announced an emergency cybersecurity directive to prohibit the use of the platforms, saying...
11-Year-Old Wisconsin Boy
Killed as Deer Season Opens
Nov 23, 2022 12:18 PM CST
11-Year-Old Wisconsin Boy Killed as Deer Season Opens
Was only fatality among 6 accidental shootings on opening weekend of firearm season
- An 11-year-old boy was killed in an accidental shooting on the opening weekend of deer season in Wisconsin. Per WPR , a 41-year-old man in the boy’s hunting party was trying to unload his rifle and place it in the back seat of a car when it discharged on Sunday....
Judges in 2 States
Block GOP Moves
on Counting Ballots
Nov 7, 2022 7:05 PM CST
Judges in 2 States Block GOP Moves on Counting Ballots
Arizona's issue was hand counting, Wisconsin's was military absentee ballots
- Judges in two states on Monday blocked Republican moves to alter the way ballots in the midterm elections are counted. A ruling by a Superior Court judge rejected a rural Arizona county's plan to conduct a full hand count of ballots—a measure requested by GOP officials who expressed...
Nurse Accused of
Nov 7, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Nurse Accused of Unauthorized Amputation
Colleagues say she cut off elderly man's foot, planned to preserve it
- A hospice nurse in Wisconsin is facing multiple charges after allegedly cutting off an elderly man's foot without permission from doctors or the patient. Mary K. Brown, 38, allegedly amputated the right foot of a dying man at Spring Valley Health and Rehab Center on May 27, WQOW reports....
Children's Museum Worker
Fired for Halloween Costume
Nov 2, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Children's Museum Worker Fired for Halloween Costume
Man who wandered downtown Madison, Wis., in Hitler outfit is said to have cognitive disabilities
- A Wisconsin man has lost his job at the Madison Children's Museum over his choice of Halloween costume. Per a Monday statement from the museum, the unidentified employee was spotted Saturday night wandering around the city's downtown "dressed and otherwise [portraying] himself as Hitler." Madison.com...
Jury Took 3 Hours, 15 Minutes
to Find Darrell Brooks Guilty
Oct 26, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Jury Took 3 Hours, 15 Minutes to Find Darrell Brooks Guilty
He faces 6 mandatory life sentences for parade killings in Waukesha, Wis.
- A Wisconsin man was convicted Wednesday of killing six people when he drove his SUV through a Christmas parade last year, ending a trial in which he defended himself erratically and sometimes confrontationally. The jury found Darrell Brooks guilty of six counts of first-degree intentional homicide. He faces a mandatory...
Missing Michigan Family
Is Found After a Week
Oct 24, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
Missing Michigan Family Is Found After a Week
Ciriglianos located in Wisconsin, 'are still of the opinion that people are after them,' say police
- A missing Michigan family of four has been located in Wisconsin after vanishing for a week, reports MLive . Police in Fremont, Michigan, had raised concerns after Anthony Cirigliano called police before disappearing, claimed to have vital information related to the 9/11 attacks and was "exhibiting paranoid behaviors." He...
Cops: Man Said
Cut Their Line
Oct 22, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cops: Man Said Neighbors Didn't 'Deserve Cable,' Cut Their Line
Shannon Pearson charged with hate crime after accusing pair of being undocumented immigrants
- A Wisconsin man has been arrested for a hate crime after police say he snipped his neighbors' internet cable because he erroneously thought they were undocumented immigrants and didn't "deserve cable." According to a criminal complaint cited by NBC News and WQOW , 48-year-old Shannon Pearson called the...
Wisconsin Fire Kills 7,
Criminal Inquiry Underway
Oct 21, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Wisconsin Fire Kills 7, Criminal Inquiry Underway
Blaze broke out in apartment building in Hartland
- Seven people died in an apartment fire early Friday in the southern Wisconsin village of Hartland, the police chief said. The cause of the fire at a four-unit apartment complex has not been determined, the AP reports. "This is an active criminal investigation by the Hartland Police Department,"...
Oct 12, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
Negativity in Senate Races Is 'Overwhelming'
Nastiness on display in Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Wisconsin races
- Senate candidates in battleground states are facing an onslaught of ads attacking everything from their character to their preferred sports teams, showing negative campaign tactics have risen "to a new level" this year, the Hill reports. "You turn on the TV, it's overwhelming with the negativity,"...
'Pro-Life Cupcake Day'
Oct 4, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Eatery Regrets 'Pro-Life Cupcake Day'
Kopp's Frozen Custard of Milwaukee apologizes: 'It was never our intention to get political'
- Kopp's of Milwaukee is known for its burgers, frozen custard, and now, a cupcake-themed controversy. The hubbub began when the Wisconsin eatery put out its October "flavor forecast," which announces upcoming special days around the US and the custard flavors that Kopp's promotes to go along...
Judge Kicks Out Defendant
in Parade Deaths on First Day
Oct 3, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Judge Kicks Out Defendant in Parade Deaths on First Day
After interruptions, Darrell Brooks is warned he could lose his right to defend himself at trial
- The Wisconsin judge presiding over Darrell Brooks' homicide trial decided last week to let him represent himself, after cautioning that he'd find being his own attorney difficult against educated and experienced prosecutors. That could change, after the first day of the proceeding Monday didn't go well. Brooks, who...
'This Court Has
Warned Mr. Brooks
What He's Getting Into'
Sep 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
'This Court Has Warned Mr. Brooks What He's Getting Into'
Darrell Brooks is permitted to represent himself against a score of charges
- A judge decided Wednesday to allow a Wisconsin man accused of killing six people and injuring dozens more when he allegedly drove his SUV through a Christmas parade to represent himself at trial, finding that he suffers from a personality disorder and faces an uphill fight against an experienced prosecutorial...
Pro Skydiver Dies
After Landing in Pond
Aug 31, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Pro Skydiver Dies After Landing in Pond
He was practicing for the national championships
- A professional skydiver practicing for the sport's national championships died Sunday when he landed hard in a Wisconsin pond. The 36-year-old and other skydiving pros were doing training runs at Skydive Midwest, near Racine, where the US Parachute Association National Championships are set to start this Saturday,
Sightseeing Man Dies When
Milwaukee Drawbridge Rises
Aug 17, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Sightseeing Man Dies When Milwaukee Drawbridge Rises
Richard Charles Dujardin was halfway across when the warning lights and bells activated
- Six months after a 79-year-old woman fell to her death while on a drawbridge that was being raised in Florida, a similar tragedy in Wisconsin. The
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
reports a 77-year-old man visiting from Rhode Island was crossing a bridge in downtown Milwaukee on Monday as it began to...
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- There's no one perfect state in the US to live in, but you can likely find the perfect state for
. WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, examining more than four dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including home prices, taxes, and cost of living;
Aug 10, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Trump-Backed Candidate Wins Wisconsin GOP Governor Primary
Tim Michels will face Tony Evers
- Tim Michels, a wealthy businessman endorsed by former President Donald Trump, won the Republican primary for Wisconsin governor on Tuesday and will face Democratic Gov. Tony Evers in a contest that could reshape elections in the marquee battleground, the AP reports. Michels defeated former Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, who was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.