Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves
Rape Victim, After a Nod
Nov 23, 2021 8:03 AM CST
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves Rape Victim, After a Nod
Cincinnati suspect Onjre Damon George then failed to jump out a window: cops
- A man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman tried to jump out a sixth-floor hotel room window while being questioned by Ohio police—only to bounce back. Police responded to a hotel in the Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash on Sunday after a front desk attendant requested a welfare...
Boston, Cincinnati Elect
First Asian-American Mayors
Nov 4, 2021 3:59 AM CDT
Boston, Cincinnati Elect First Asian-American Mayors
Bruce Harrell is closing in on a win in Seattle
- Asian Americans will serve as mayor in Boston and Cincinnati for the first time in both cities’ histories, signaling political progress for a population that has struggled for almost two years with a rise in anti-Asian hate. Boston voters tapped City Councilor Michelle Wu, 36, on Tuesday to serve in...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
2 Dead, 3 Injured in Shooting
at Fireworks Gathering
Jul 5, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
2 Dead, 3 Injured in Shooting at Fireworks Gathering
Police don't know yet whether incident near Cincinnati park was random or targeted
- Two people died and three others were wounded in a shooting in downtown Cincinnati on the Fourth of July, police said. Gunfire broke out Sunday night in the area of Smale Riverfront Park, Lt. Col. Lisa Davis told reporters at a news conference. One person died at the scene, and...
Jun 8, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Driver Gets Unpleasant Surprise During Evening Commute
- Some people have their eating utensils ready to chow down on the swarms of "Brood X" cicadas that have emerged from their underground lairs. Others simply want to avoid running into them during their evening commute. One Cincinnati driver wasn't so lucky, after what ABC News calls an...
Schools to Pay
Jun 6, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
After Suicide, Schools to Pay Parents $3M
Third grader Gabriel Taye was repeatedly beaten by students
- Gabriel Taye's classmates beat, kicked, and bullied him, even leaving him unconscious, his parents say. School administrators were dismissive of his injuries, telling Gabriel's parents that he'd knocked two teeth loose in a playground accident, and attributed his being punched in the face by two students to...
College Soccer Player
Drowns in State Park
May 25, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
College Soccer Player Drowns in State Park
University of Cincinnati mourns 'extreme loss' of 21-year-old Allyson Sidloski
- A weekend outing at a state park turned tragic for a women's soccer player from the University of Cincinnati. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources says that witnesses last saw Allyson Sidloski, 21, on Saturday afternoon hanging from a boat's swim platform at East Fork State Park before...
That Sugary Frosting
Was Cocaine: Customs
Feb 20, 2021 4:15 PM CST
That Sugary Frosting Was Cocaine: Customs
Agents seize shipment of corn flakes worth nearly $3M
- It's not often that anyone talks about the street value of corn flakes. But Customs and Border Patrol officers said they intercepted a shipment of cereal last week whose secret ingredient was cocaine. The 44 pounds of corn flakes had a street value of just under $3 million, Cincinnati....
In $34K for
Feb 17, 2021 8:45 AM CST
City's 'Tip War' Brings In $34K for Restaurant Workers
Fans of 2 hometown colleges are trying to one-up each other in Cincinnati
- It started on Jan. 9 with a message from a Cincinnati burger joint. "To the gentleman and his daughters who left this incredibly generous tip this afternoon, with big smiles on our faces, we want to say, thank you!" Zip's Cafe posted on Facebook , thanking the patrons...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
Bride: 'Almost Half of Our
Wedding Guests' Got COVID
Nov 18, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Bride: 'Almost Half of Our Wedding Guests' Got COVID
2 grandparents had to visit the ER after Oct. 31 nuptials in Ohio
- Thirty-two people who attended a wedding in Ohio have tested positive for the coronavirus, including the bride and groom and three of their grandparents—two of whom had to visit the emergency room. "You're in the moment. You're having fun. You don't think about COVID anymore,...
He Quarantined From Class,
Got a 'Racist' Email From Prof
in case you missed it
Sep 26, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
He Quarantined From Class, Got a 'Racist' Email From Prof
University of Cincinnati instructor on administrative leave
- After Evan Sotzing's girlfriend tested positive for COVID-19, the University of Cincinnati student says the school's health department instructed him to self-isolate. That meant he had to miss an in-person lab under adjunct professor John Ucker, per the
. The reaction Sotzing received from Ucker was not...
At Least 18 Shot,
4 Killed Across
Aug 16, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
At Least 18 Shot, 4 Killed Across Cincinnati
'Why? That's going to be the question'
- At least 18 people were shot, including four killed, as gunfire erupted in several places around Cincinnati overnight, authorities said Sunday. Officers responded just after 12:30am Sunday to the Avondale neighborhood and found 21-year-old Antonio Blair with gunshot wounds, police said in a statement, the AP reports. He was...
Video of Banned
Don't Give a
F---' About Virus
Apr 6, 2020 7:50 AM CDT
Video of Banned Gathering: 'We Don't Give a F---' About Virus
Rashaan Davis arrested, charged with defying Ohio's stay-at-home order, posting YouTube video
- There's a stay-at-home order in Ohio, issued by Gov. Mike DeWine, that was recently extended through May 1, but some just couldn't resist the temptation of getting together for a Friday night street gathering—and at least one person couldn't resist recording it and uploading the video...
$46M in Debt for
Feb 29, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Church Cancels $46M in Debt for 45K Families
Crossroads Church teams up with RIP Medical Debt to abolish debt
- Imagine having all your medical debt paid off, out of the blue. Now imagine a church paying off $46.5 million in said debt for over 45,000 families. That's pretty much the story as Crossroads Church in Cincinnati works with RIP Medical Debt to eliminate debts for residents...
40 Years After Stampede,
'Healing' for The Who
Dec 4, 2019 9:00 AM CST
40 Years After Stampede, 'Healing' for The Who
Band will return to Cincinnati in April
- The Who is returning to perform in Cincinnati for the first time since 11 fans were crushed to death during a concert in 1979. "We need to go back to Cincinnati … as soon as we can," Pete Townshend announced in a WCPO documentary aired Tuesday, the 40th...
Cemetery Jogger Killed
by Lightning Strike
Sep 5, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Cemetery Jogger Killed by Lightning Strike
Cincinnati woman dies after sheltering from storm under tree
- Three women were jogging through Cincinnati's Spring Grove Cemetery on Friday when a security guard—seeing a storm approaching—offered them a ride, a cemetery rep tells WLWT . They declined the offer, and all three were hit by a lightning strike moments later as they sheltered under an oak...
Neil Armstrong's Death
Holds a Darker Backstory
Jul 24, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Neil Armstrong's Death Holds a Darker Backstory
Family settled with hospital where he died in 2012 for $6M over alleged wrongful death
- Neil Armstrong's family received $6 million to settle a wrongful death claim after experts said the astronaut's Aug. 25, 2012 death may have been preventable. The news is only now being reported by the
New York Times
, which received documents relating to the settlement from an anonymous sender,...
to County Jail
Jul 22, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Convicted Judge Is Dragged Off to County Jail
Presiding judge says he won't be intimidated by her supporters
- Supporters screamed in a Cincinnati courtroom Monday as a convicted former judge was dragged away to jail by a deputy. Tracie Hunter, who was a juvenile court judge, was convicted five years ago of misusing her position to help her brother keep his job with the county government. Prosecutors said...
First-Time Home Buyers
Should Look Here
May 27, 2019 10:52 AM CDT
First-Time Home Buyers Should Look Here
First American locates 10 most affordable cities for the group
- Americans looking to buy their first home should consider the Midwest and South, according to insurance firm First American . The company uses its own calculations, saying "any affordability metric that includes existing homeowners is wildly misleading to first-time homebuyers" since the former group can already afford a home, per...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.