Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Meet Patron, Ukraine's
Latest War Hero
May 9, 2022 10:29 AM CDT
Meet Patron, Ukraine's Latest War Hero
President Zelensky awards Jack Russell terrier a medal for his mine-sniffing work
- A very special awards ceremony was held over the weekend in Kyiv to honor the nation's newest hero amid the Russian invasion: a 2 1/2-year-old dog named Patron, reports the BBC . A medal was bestowed upon the Jack Russell terrier at a Sunday news conference by none other than...
Surprise Deal Will Keep
Trudeau in Power Until 2025
Mar 22, 2022 6:58 PM CDT
Surprise Deal Will Keep Trudeau in Power Until 2025
Conservative Party slams agreement with NDP as a 'power grab'
- Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to stay in power until 2025 after cutting an unexpected deal with the opposition New Democratic Party. Trudeau's Liberal Party fell short of a majority in September's election and it has been relying on the leftist NDP to help pass...
Queen Emerges From
Her COVID Isolation
Mar 7, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Queen Emerges From Her COVID Isolation
Monarch, 95, has first face-to-face meeting since last month's diagnosis
Queen Elizabeth II has apparently weathered her bout with COVID just fine. The 95-year-old, who tested positive on Feb. 20, met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday, which the BBC notes is her first face-to-face meeting since she contracted the virus. She had resumed virtual engagements about...
Trudeau Revokes Use
of Emergencies Act
Feb 23, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Trudeau Revokes Use of Emergencies Act
'The situation is no longer an emergency,' he says
: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is ending the use of the Emergencies, nine days after the 1988 law was invoked for the first time to deal with truckers and their supporters blocking border crossings and occupying parts of Ottawa. "The situation is no longer an emergency,...
It's Over in Ottawa
Feb 19, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Protesters Agree It's Over in Ottawa
Organizers plan to shift to a grassroots movement
- Hundreds of police in riot gear swept through the streets of Canada's besieged capital Saturday, arresting or driving out protesters, towing away their trucks, and finally retaking control of the Ottawa streets in front of the Parliament buildings. With protesters in clear retreat in the largest police operation in...
Canada's Trucker Protest
Inspires a Copycat
Feb 8, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Canada's Trucker Protest Inspires a Copycat
Vehicles clog streets near Parliament in New Zealand
- The Canadian trucker protest over COVID rules shows no sign of letting up, and it's now inspired a copycat protest in New Zealand. NDTV reports that trucks and campervans clogged streets near Parliament in Wellington on Tuesday. Protesters in the vehicles and on foot objected to vaccine mandates and...
Jan 31, 2022 11:17 AM CST
Canada's Trudeau Tests Positive Amid Protests
Prime minister says he's doing fine
- It's safe to say that COVID is front and center on the mind of Canada's Justin Trudeau these days. The prime minister said Monday that he has tested positive but is "feeling fine," in a tweet . "I'll continue to work remotely this week while...
as Protest Begins
Jan 29, 2022 6:20 PM CST
Trudeaus Leave as Protest Begins
Convoy reaches Ottawa, objecting to more than pandemic restrictions
- A convoy that started out to protest mandatory coronavirus vaccinations for truckers reached Ottawa on Saturday, after picking up demonstrators and causes as it crossed Canada. The "Freedom Convoy," which began its trip in British Columbia, now includes people opposed to all pandemic restrictions, many who want Prime...
to Bring Back
Jan 7, 2022 12:29 AM CST
Airlines Refuse to Bring Back Cancun Partiers
Passengers, some of whom have tested positive, are stranded in Mexico
- Passengers who filmed themselves partying without masks aboard a chartered flight from Montreal to Mexico face being stranded after three airlines refused to fly them home to Canada. Sunwing Airlines canceled the return charter flight from Cancun that had been scheduled for Wednesday, the AP reports, and Air Transat and...
Conversion Therapy Bill in
Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Dec 9, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Conversion Therapy Bill in Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Controversial practice that tries to change a person's sexual orientation, identity is now banned
- Conversion therapy is officially outlawed in Canada. A bill making it a criminal offense to provide, promote, advertise, or profit from conversion therapy—used in an effort to change a person's sexual orientation or identity—unanimously passed the Senate "with little debate and no committee study" on Tuesday,...
Justin Trudeau Apologizes
for Ill-Timed Vacation
Oct 7, 2021 12:36 AM CDT
Justin Trudeau Apologizes for Ill-Timed Vacation
He went on holiday during Canada's first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- It was Justin Trudeau's government that designated Sept. 30 Canada's first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation , and yet the country's prime minister did not actually participate in events on that day. Rather, he was on vacation with his family as the country memorialized the children who...
Canada Election Results
Good News for Justin Trudeau
Sep 21, 2021 1:55 AM CDT
Canada Election Results Good News for Justin Trudeau
Though not the best news
- Canadians gave Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party a victory in Monday's parliamentary elections, but his gamble to win a majority of seats failed and nearly mirrored the result of two years ago, the AP reports. The Liberals won the most seats of any party. The 49-year-old Trudeau...
Trudeau's Job in Jeopardy as
Canadians Head to the Polls
Sep 20, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Trudeau's Job in Jeopardy as Canadians Head to the Polls
Conservatives want to punish prime minister for holding election during pandemic
- Canadians headed to the polls Monday for the country's second federal election in less than two years—and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's job could be in jeopardy. Trudeau, whose Liberal Party formed a minority government after the October 2019 election, called the election last month , hoping to win...
Protesters Pelt Canada's
Trudeau With Gravel
Sep 7, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Protesters Pelt Canada's Trudeau With Gravel
After he vowed not to be swayed by 'anti-vaxxer mobs'
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is downplaying an ugly moment Monday in which protesters struck him with gravel. "It's no big deal," Trudeau told reporters after acknowledging he got struck on the shoulder while boarding his campaign bus in London, Ontario, reports the CBC . Trudeau, who called...
Trudeau Calls Early Election,
Banking on Pandemic Record
Aug 15, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Trudeau Calls Early Election, Banking on Pandemic Record
Polls show Canadians support government's handling of COVID fight
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called a national election for Canada to take place in September, though the next vote wasn't required until 2023. Trudeau went through the formality of requesting an election be held in a visit Sunday to Canada's governor general, the representative of Britain's...
May 31, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Trudeau: Atrocity Isn't an Exception
Canadian leaders call for searches at other former Indigenous schools for buried children
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday the discovery of the bodies of over 200 children buried at a former Indigenous residential school is not an isolated event. Trudeau's comments come as Indigenous leaders are calling for an examination of every former residential school site—institutions that held children taken...
Trudeau Swipes at
Trump in Call With Biden
Feb 24, 2021 5:01 AM CST
Trudeau Swipes at Trump in Call With Biden
And more from their virtual meeting, their first since Biden took office
- President Biden’s first bilateral meeting with Canada’s Justin Trudeau since taking office was high on policy, low on pomp, and featured a very large swipe at Biden's predecessor as the coronavirus forced the two leaders to convene virtually Tuesday rather than gathering with customary Oval Office fanfare....
Canada Adds Test
for Arrivals by Land
Feb 9, 2021 5:04 PM CST
Canada Adds Test for Arrivals by Land
Trudeau hints at more coronavirus restrictions for air travelers soon
- As new and more contagious coronavirus variants make their way around the world, Canada plans to impose a new restriction. As of next Monday, people reaching its borders by land will have to produce a negative coronavirus test—taken in the past 72 hours—before being allowed into Canada. Prime...
With 'Greta' Call
Nov 24, 2020 8:11 PM CST
Russian Pranksters Fool Trudeau With 'Greta' Call
'I can certainly understand that people can feel very, very strongly about him,' he said of Trump
- Add Justin Trudeau to the list of those fooled by notorious Russian pranksters Alexey Stolyarov and Vladimir Kuznetsov, aka Vovan and Lexus. They have released audio of a call earlier this year in which they impersonated Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and spoke to the Canadian prime minister, the BBC...
Trudeau: 'This Sucks.
It Really, Really Does'
Oct 28, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Trudeau: 'This Sucks. It Really, Really Does'
'It's going to be a tough winter,' he says
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau summed up 2020 in a single sentence in a press briefing Tuesday: "We are in the middle of an unprecedented global pandemic that really sucks," he said. In some parts of the country, new case numbers are now higher than they were during...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.