Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news stories and cases of child neglect and abuse on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vegan Mother Sentenced
to Life Over Toddler's Death
Aug 29, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
Vegan Mother Sentenced to Life Over Toddler's Death
Sheila O'Leary was convicted on charges including first-degree murder
- A vegan woman convicted of murder in the malnutrition death of her young son was sentenced Monday to life in prison. Sheila O'Leary, 38, whose family followed a strict vegan diet, was convicted in June on six charges—first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two...
Arizona Couple Allegedly Left
Boy, 11, Home Alone for Weeks
Jan 4, 2022 4:42 PM CST
Arizona Couple Allegedly Left Boy, 11, Home Alone for Weeks
Officials made contact with the child Dec. 12, parents returned home Dec. 29
- An Arizona child was left home alone for at least two weeks, says authorities, and now his parents have been charged with child neglect. NBC News reports the 11-year-old's mother left the state prior to Thanksgiving, and that his father left a shortly after that holiday. The Cochise County...
Mom of Abandoned Boys Says
She Visited 'Every 2 Weeks'
Oct 30, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mom of Abandoned Boys Says She Visited 'Every 2 Weeks'
Gloria Williams now claims she also didn't know her 8-year-old son, Kendrick Lee, was dead
- A Texas mother charged after the body of her 8-year-old son was found in an apartment along with three abandoned siblings now says she checked on her boys "every two weeks" and that she hadn't realized one of the brothers was dead. "I'm sorry. I didn'...
Cops: Boy Shot in 'Drive-By,'
With Dad Behind the Wheel
Jun 2, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Cops: Boy Shot in 'Drive-By,' With Dad Behind the Wheel
Father of 10-year-old charged with child neglect after paintball incident leads to real gun violence
- Police say a Florida man agreed to take his son out for a "drive-by" shooting using a paintball marker, which ended with the 10-year-old boy being shot with a real gun. Michael Williams, 26, drove his van as his son leaned out, firing off paintballs into a crowd of...
Guy Charged With Felony
for Being a 'Cool Father'
Jun 11, 2020 5:35 PM CDT
Guy Charged With Felony for Being a 'Cool Father'
Shaun Michaelsen, 41, was arrested in Florida
- A Florida man is facing felony charges after police said he let a 12-year-old girl drive his SUV and told her to speed because he wanted to be a "cool father"—even though he is not her dad, the AP reports. Shaun Michaelsen, 41, told the arresting officer...
Cops: We 'Couldn't Believe' This
Dad Was Involved in Shooting
Dec 12, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Cops: We 'Couldn't Believe' This Dad Was Involved in Shooting
Dustin Adkins charged in accidental shooting of daughter, 9
- Florida's Dustin Adkins is barred from possessing guns after a handgun he was showing off in 2011 accidentally discharged, killing a 13-year-old girl. That's why Titusville police say they were dumbfounded to discover that Adkins' own 9-year-old daughter was shot Saturday when her father allegedly left her and...
Teen Calls Hotline, Cops Find
Home in 'Complete Disarray'
Nov 4, 2019 7:42 AM CST
Teen Calls Hotline, Cops Find Home in 'Complete Disarray'
5 kids found living in 'deplorable' conditions in Florida home, parents charged with child neglect
- While most kids were out trick-or-treating on Thursday, one Florida teen was calling into an abuse hotline, a call that ended up getting both of her parents arrested. NBC News reports the call that came in on Halloween was from a 14-year-old girl who alerted authorities there was abuse going...
Florida Mom Overdoses
With 3 Kids in Car
Nov 4, 2019 1:31 AM CST
Florida Mom Overdoses With 3 Kids in Car
Her 12-year-old daughter called 911
- A 12-year-old girl in Florida may have saved her mother's life after the woman overdosed on heroin while driving on a highway, police say. "My mom won't wake up and we're on the I-4 in the car," the girl said after calling 911. "We'...
Youth Ranch Raided After
Complaint About Nail Gun
Jul 25, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Youth Ranch Raided After Complaint About Nail Gun
Children allegedly 'hit, kicked ... spit on' at Montana's Ranch for Kids
- Montana has removed 27 children from a home for troubled youth after reports of abuse, including one mentioning a nail gun shot at a child, per NBC News . "No child should have to experience what multiple sources have alleged has happened at the Ranch for Kids" in Rexford, near...
Email—for 4 Years
Jul 16, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
Nobody Checked Child Abuse Email—for 4 Years
'We did not know this email even existed'
- A Colorado government email account set up to organize reports of child abuse and neglect went unchecked for four years so that five cases requiring immediate attention were disregarded. Colorado's Department of Human Services launched firstname.lastname@example.org in 2015 as a way for government staff to support a...
Cops: Boy's Death
Will Haunt Us Our Whole Lives
May 31, 2019 10:53 AM CDT
Cops: Boy's Death Will Haunt Us Our Whole Lives
Parents of Florida's Eduardo Posso, 12, allegedly shackled, shocked, and starved him
- It was a slow and painful death for a 12-year-old Indiana boy chained and starved by his father and stepmother, according to authorities. "I cannot think of, in 30 years, a case like this. It's beyond anything I've worked," Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain says, per...
'Hundreds of Bugs' Crawl Out of
Girl's Backpack, Mom Arrested
May 11, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
'Hundreds of Bugs' Crawl Out of Girl's Backpack, Mom Arrested
Jessica Stevenson has been charged with felony child neglect
- When a Florida second grader came to Bagdad Elementary School in Milton with an undesirable smell and soiled clothes, a staffer found out from the little girl she didn't remember the last time she'd bathed. Then, "hundreds of bugs crawled out" of the child's backpack in...
Cops: Mom Left Kids Home
Dec 24, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Cops: Mom Left Kids Home Alone Watching
Indiana woman charged in very meta crime
- An Indiana mom left her two small sons home alone with some very appropriate entertainment, reports KWBE . Police responded to a report of unattended children in a Muncie home and found 4- and 7-year-old brothers watching none other than
KFOR reports that when cops contacted their mother at...
Cops: Girl Told
by Mom to 'Hurry'
Under Train Dies
Dec 19, 2018 7:27 AM CST
Cops: Girl Told by Mom to 'Hurry' Under Train Dies
'Worst thing I've ever seen in my life,' witness says of 8-year-old killed in Fresno, Calif.
- Joy Frances Collins didn't want to miss her bus home, so the California mom asked her children to do something they'd done many times before, police say—and now her young daughter is dead. Per Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer, Collins, her 9-year-old son, and 8-year-old Joyanna (spelled...
Cops: Mom Left 3 Kids
in Cold Car to Shop
Nov 23, 2018 4:45 PM CST
Cops: Mom Left 3 Kids in Cold Car to Shop
Wisconsin woman faces child-neglect charges
- It's the corollary to the child-left-in-hot-car stories from the summer: A woman in Wisconsin faces child-neglect charges after leaving her three young children in a cold car while she shopped, reports TMJ4 . Police say Ashley Pirlot, 26, of Milwaukee left her three girls, ages 6 months, 17 months, and...
Cops, DCFS Called
After Mom Lets Girl
Walk Family Dog
Aug 24, 2018 9:12 AM CDT
Cops, DCFS Called After Mom Lets Girl Walk Family Dog
8-year-old was gone for '5 minutes,' mom says
- The mom of an 8-year-old in suburban Chicago is railing against a "crazy waste of resources" that ended in what CBS Chicago describes as a "legal nightmare." The
details how on Aug. 2, Corey Widen's daughter took the family dog, Marshmallow, for a walk...
Police: Mom Left Kids in Hot
Car, Attacked Good Samaritan
Aug 13, 2018 4:44 AM CDT
Police: Mom Left Kids in Hot Car, Attacked Good Samaritan
She's been charged with battery, child desertion
- A mother in Louisiana left her two young children locked in a hot car for around 90 minutes and then attacked one of the people who rescued them, police say. Shawnise Sherman, 22, has been charged with child desertion and battery, the
New Orleans Advocate
reports. Police say she left...
Cops Seeking Missing Kid
Rescue 11 From Compound
Aug 6, 2018 3:34 AM CDT
Cops Seeking Missing Kid Rescue 11 From Compound
2 heavily armed men arrested in New Mexico
- Police looking for a missing 3-year-old boy at a remote compound in northern New Mexico didn't find him—but they did rescue 11 other children who were living in the most squalid conditions they'd ever encountered. Police say the starving children were living with five adults in an...
They Called CPS on 'Free Hugs'
Boy's Family. Then, Tragedy
Mar 30, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
They Called CPS on 'Free Hugs' Boy's Family. Then, Tragedy
'I was trying to … protect them and this is the result,' neighbor says after fatal car crash
- The search is still on for 15-year-old Devonte Hart and two of his siblings after the SUV they were believed to be in with their adoptive parents and three other siblings went over a cliff in California (those five were found dead at the scene). But it's allegations about...
Classmate Recalls Students
Treating Turpin Girl Like Dirt
Jan 25, 2018 9:24 AM CST
Classmate Recalls Students Treating Turpin Girl Like Dirt
Taha Muntajibuddin's recollections make for tough reading
- David and Louise Turpin essentially can't have anything to do with their children for the next three years following a judge's Wednesday court order. The
reports Riverside County Judge Emma Smith has barred the parents from any attempts at communication with their children, including electronically or...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Name of MacKenzie Scott's Husband Quietly Disappears
Explosive New Book Reveals Anthony Bourdain's Final Texts
5 High School Football Players Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Trump, Kim Jong Un Might Still Be in Touch
US Embassy to Americans in Russia: Get Out Now
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.