Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Worst City
in America for Driving
Oct 10, 2023 12:04 PM CDT
This Is the Worst City in America for Driving
California's Oakland is last in WalletHub's rankings; Texas' Corpus Christi is the best city to drive in
- Getting behind the wheel can mean a nice, leisurely cruise with nary a pothole—or it can be a chaotic, horn-honking nightmare through congested city streets. WalletHub looked at the 100 most populated US cities to see where drivers have it easiest, using 30 metrics across three main categories: safety,...
Truck Pulling Float Kills
Girl in Holiday Parade
Nov 19, 2022 5:05 PM CST
Truck Pulling Float Kills Girl in Holiday Parade
Victim was performing with a dance troupe
- A truck pulling a float for a holiday parade in North Carolina crashed Saturday, striking and killing a girl participating in the event, news outlets reported. The driver who lost control of the vehicle and struck the child was charged with reckless driving and other offenses, the Raleigh Police Department...
Cops: Alleged Raleigh
Mass Shooter, 15,
Killed His Brother
Oct 17, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Cops: Alleged Raleigh Mass Shooter, 15, Killed His Brother
More details are coming out on the victims of last week's tragedy
- The 16-year-old victim killed in Thursday's Raleigh, North Carolina, mass shooting was the older brother of the suspected gunman, police say. The 15-year-old alleged shooter has been identified as Austin Thompson, the
Raleigh News & Observer
reports; his family lives in the Hedingham neighborhood where five people were slaughtered...
Police Identify Shooter
in Raleigh as 15-Year-Old
Oct 14, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
Police Identify Shooter in Raleigh as 15-Year-Old
Teen who allegedly killed 5 people is in critical condition
- The shooter who killed five people along a walking trail in North Carolina’s capital city is a 15-year-old boy who has been hospitalized in critical condition, police said Friday. Raleigh Police Chief Estella Patterson told reporters that the suspect opened fire Thursday on a greenway in an area northeast...
This Is the Safest
City in America
Oct 10, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
This Is the Safest City in America
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's rankings; St. Louis is at the bottom
- When people think of "safety" in their homes and communities, crime is often the first thing that pops into their heads. But as WalletHub notes for its rankings of the safest cities in America, there's more to it than that. Safety can also encompass a variety of other...
FAA Workers' 911 Call Sheds
Light on 'Midair Mystery'
Aug 3, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
FAA Workers' 911 Call Sheds Light on 'Midair Mystery'
Employees tell dispatcher that pilot said co-pilot Charles Hew Crooks jumped out of plane
- More details are filtering in on what's been deemed a "midair mystery" involving a co-pilot who exited his turboprop plane midflight and fell to his death. The timeline has since been pieced together regarding what happened to Charles Hew Crooks in the skies over North Carolina on Friday...
Here Are the Most,
Least Educated US Cities
Jul 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Here Are the Most, Least Educated US Cities
Ann Arbor, Michigan, tops WalletHub's list, while Visalia, California, comes in last
- Where college grads head to after they've thrown their caps in the air can make or break a city's smarts cachet. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities can claim that "most educated" prestige, so it looked at 150 of the most populated metropolitan areas around the...
Passengers in NC Plane
Landing Got a Wild Ride
Jan 22, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
No injuries after Delta Air Lines flight skidded off runway in snow, rolled right into mud
- States in the South have been hit with some extreme winter weather of late, and the snow coming down Friday evening in North Carolina led to a scary incident for one plane arriving at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Per NBC News , Delta Air Lines Flight 5501 had just safely touched down...
Escaped Spitting Cobra
Captured With Glue Traps
Jul 2, 2021 9:47 AM CDT
Escaped Spitting Cobra Captured With Glue Traps
Police in Raleigh say it is now in state custody
- Raleigh residents no longer have to fear encountering an escaped cobra capable of blinding them with venom from nine feet away. An escaped spitting zebra cobra on the loose since Monday was captured in a home Wednesday night and was in state custody Thursday, the
News & Observer
If You See This Snake in NC,
Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Jun 30, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
If You See This Snake in NC, Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Police are on the lookout in Raleigh for an escaped zebra cobra
- If you're out for a jog or walking your dog in Raleigh today, you might want to steer clear of the Brittany Woods neighborhood. WRAL reports that residents there "are waking up to another day of anxiety" after police reported that a highly toxic zebra cobra is on...
In North Carolina, a
'Doubling Down' by Apple
Apr 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
In North Carolina, a 'Doubling Down' by Apple
Company says it's building new $1B campus in Raleigh-Durham area
- North Carolina is getting a major new tenant, with promises of thousands of jobs coming with it. Apple announced Monday it will be building a new campus in the Raleigh-Durham area, set to house 3,000 employees who will work in jobs involving artificial intelligence, software engineering, and machine learning,...
This Is the Worst
US City to Drive In
Sep 1, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
This Is the Worst US City to Drive In
Oakland is no smooth ride, but you'll be cruising right along in Lincoln, Neb.
- While more of us are telecommuting during the pandemic, WalletHub notes that many prefer to drive rather than take public transportation in the COVID-19 era, so it looked at the 100 largest cities in the country to see where driving is the best—and the worst. The site examined 31...
10 Best US Cities
May 6, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
10 Best US Cities for Business Startups
Orlando tops WalletHub's list
- Anyone stuck in a cubicle at a dead-end job has dreamed of either hitting it big in the lottery or of starting a business—and for the latter, there are certain US cities that may be just the ticket to making that dream become reality. WalletHub examined startup opportunities in...
Man Accused of Murdering
Wife Dressed Up as Serial Killer
Apr 3, 2018 9:49 AM CDT
Man Accused of Murdering Wife Dressed Up as Serial Killer
Documents allege Matthew Phelps posed as 'American Psycho' killer on Instagram
- The Sept. 1 killing grabbed national headlines in part because of Matthew Phelps' unusual defense: The 29-year-old told a 911 dispatcher he thought he had stabbed to death his wife of less than a year in his sleep after taking more cough and cold medication than he should have. Now,...
Autopsy: Pastor's Wife
Had 123 Knife Wounds
Oct 18, 2017 3:06 AM CDT
Autopsy: Pastor's Wife Had 123 Knife Wounds
Matthew James Phelps blamed killing on cold medicine
- The wife of an aspiring pastor in North Carolina had 123 stab wounds and cuts after what investigators say was a frenzied attack at their Raleigh home last month. Matthew James Phelps, husband of Lauren Hugelmaier Phelps, has been held without bail on a first-degree murder charge since the Sept....
The 6 Best Affordable
Big American Cities
Sep 23, 2016 7:51 AM CDT
The 6 Best Affordable Big American Cities
Can't stomach NYC or LA? Look to Boston, Portland
- Living in a big city doesn't have to blow the budget.
has identified the best affordable city in each of six US regions. Those chosen have a population of at least 300,000, and factors like affordable housing, job growth, low crime, green space, and good schools were...
Shoppers Panic as Shots
Reported at NC Mall
Aug 13, 2016 4:08 PM CDT
Shoppers Panic as Shots Reported at NC Mall
Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh has been locked down
- A North Carolina mall was locked down Saturday afternoon after gunshots were reported from inside, though no suspects or victims have been found, WRAL reports. According to WNCN , reports of gunshots at the Crabtree Valley Mall came in around 2:30pm. The AP says the mall is in an "...
NC Shooting to
Aug 12, 2016 11:53 AM CDT
Lawyer Likens NC Shooting to Zimmerman Case
Chad Copley 'killed my son for nothing,' says victim's mom
- Chad Copley is a neighborhood watch volunteer who police say fatally shot a black man . Sound familiar? He's "George Zimmerman 2.0," says Justin Bamberg, a lawyer representing the family of Kouren-Rodney Bernard Thomas, 20, whom Copley allegedly shot and killed early Sunday. Bamberg says Thomas was...
Top 10 Big US
Cities to Live In
Jul 19, 2016 9:03 AM CDT
Top 10 Big US Cities to Live In
San Francisco is king
- San Francisco might be pricey , but it's also a great place to live—the best, in fact, according to a new WalletHub ranking. The site compared the "livability," education, health, taxes, and local economy of all 62 US cities with at least 300,000 residents to come...
Trump Praises Saddam
at Campaign Rally
Jul 6, 2016 4:54 AM CDT
Trump Praises Saddam at Campaign Rally
'Today, Iraq is Harvard for terrorism'
- In scenes that would probably have confounded time travelers from as recently as last year, the presumptive GOP nominee for president praised Saddam Hussein in front of an enthusiastic crowd Tuesday night. Saddam was a "really bad guy," Donald Trump told a rally in Raleigh, NC, per the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.