Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NFL Quarterback Helps Rescue
Family After Helicopter Crash
Dec 30, 2022 11:33 AM CST
NFL Quarterback Helps Rescue Family After Helicopter Crash
Tampa Bay quarterback Blaine Gabbert turned up on jet ski
- Philadelphia man Hunter Hupp isn't a football player, but he got a big assist from Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Blaine Gabbert on Thursday. Gabbert was one of three men on two jet skis who rescued Hupp and his parents after a helicopter crashed into Hillsborough Bay near downtown Tampa,...
'I’m Hoping You’ll
Just Let Us Go,'
Chief Tells Deputy
Dec 5, 2022 1:38 PM CST
'I’m Hoping You’ll Just Let Us Go,' Chief Tells Deputy
Mary O'Connor steps down as Tampa chief of police after internal investigation
- In 1995, Mary O'Connor, then a rookie cop in Tampa, was fired for punching a deputy during a traffic stop. She was reinstated a year later and rose through the ranks to become chief earlier this year, only to have her career ended by her behavior during another traffic...
There Were Eerie Scenes
in Tampa as Ian Approached
Sep 28, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
There Were Eerie Scenes in Tampa as Ian Approached
'Blowout tide' exposed seabed
- As Hurricane Ian approached Florida before making landfall Wednesday, there were eerie scenes in Tampa and other areas where water receded, exposing the seabed. The phenomenon, in which strong winds blow water away from the coast, causing sea levels to drop, is known as a blowout tide or reverse storm...
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
Florida Student Killed While
Trying to Enter Wrong Car
Sep 20, 2022 4:03 AM CDT
Florida Student Killed While Trying to Enter Wrong Car
University of Tampa student had just taken an Uber home
- A University of Tampa student took an Uber home after a night spent hanging out with friends, but when he exited the rideshare, he tried to enter a parked car that was not his. The adult male driver of that vehicle, not knowing why someone was apparently trying to force...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
Places to Start a Career
May 16, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst Places to Start a Career
Salt Lake City is where to head
- It's graduation season, which means young adults are now earnestly seeking their first post-college jobs. WalletHub wanted to see which locations offer the best potential for jump-starting one's career, so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining two dozen-plus metrics in...
Dunkin' Worker Who
Killed Customer Gets
2 Years House Arrest
Mar 8, 2022 5:32 PM CST
Dunkin' Worker Who Killed Customer Gets 2 Years House Arrest
Corey Pujols was called a racial slur by Tampa customer
: A Dunkin' employee who punched a customer, causing the man's death three days later, has been sentenced to two years of house arrest plus three years probation after pleading guilty to felony battery, reports the
Tampa Bay Times
. The charge was reduced from aggravated manslaughter under a plea...
Jury Acquits in Theater
Killing Over Cellphone
Feb 26, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Jury Acquits in Theater Killing Over Cellphone
Chad Oulson was shot to death in argument over cellphone use
- A Florida jury has found a retired police SWAT commander not guilty in a fatal shooting in a movie theater in 2014. Curtis Reeves, 79, had been charged with second-degree murder and aggravated battery, WTVT reports, but the judge had told jurors they could return lesser guilty verdicts, including manslaughter....
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
Florida's School Mask
Drama Heats Up
Aug 19, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
Florida's School Mask Drama Heats Up
Miami-Dade and Hillsborough school districts defy governor's ban
- Two of Florida's biggest school districts have decided to join others that have defied Gov. Ron DeSantis and brought in mask mandates. In the Tampa-area Hillsborough County district, which has around 213,000 students, some 8,400 students and more than 300 teachers are in isolation after testing positive...
Grills His Own
Young Son in Court
Jun 17, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
Murder Suspect Grills His Own Young Son in Court
'You stabbed me,' 11-year-old tells dad acting as his own lawyer and cross-examining the boy
- An 11-year-old witness to the murder of his mom and older sister testified this week in the trial of the first-degree murder suspect, who's also accused of stabbing the boy, dousing him in gasoline, and setting him, and the boy's home, on fire. The suspect, Ronnie Oneal III,...
Officer With 7 Life-Saving
Awards Dies a Hero
Mar 9, 2021 5:27 PM CST
Officer With 7 Life-Saving Awards Dies a Hero
Witnesses say Tampa officer Jesse Madsen was protecting others from wrong-way driver
- A Tampa Bay Police officer killed in the line of duty in a wrong-way crash early Tuesday was trying to protect other motorists, witnesses say. Master Patrol Officer Jesse Madsen, 45, was killed along with the other driver in the crash on I-275 around 1am, the
Tampa Bay Times
Mistake Leads to Mauling
at Carole Baskin's Rescue
Dec 4, 2020 7:09 AM CST
Mistake Leads to Mauling at Carole Baskin's Rescue
Male tiger attacked volunteer as she reached into cage
- A tiger nearly ripped off a volunteer's arm Thursday at Carole Baskin's Big Cat Rescue, made famous by Netflix's
. Candy Crouser had arrived to feed the male tiger, Kimba, around 8:30am when she noticed he was "locked in a section that was away...
Cops Show Up
Yell One Word
Sep 25, 2020 12:41 PM CDT
Cops Show Up After Overeager Hockey Fans Yell One Word
Apparently your neighbors might get nervous hearing 'Shoot! Shoot!'
- There are casual sports fans who tune in only during playoff season, and then there are the die-hards. Devon Garnett is definitely in the latter camp , though his enthusiasm for hockey caused a bit of a commotion Wednesday. That's the night the Tampa Bay Lightning played Game 3 of...
Sep 8, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Looking to Retire? These US Cities Beckon
Nearly half of the top 10 are in one state
- Unless you plan on living indefinitely on a cruise ship when you retire (not a bad idea, but maybe a little impractical for most of us), you may be looking ahead to where it would make the most sense to settle in for your golden years. Toward that end, WalletHub...
Sheriff: Cop Pointing
Gun at Unarmed Man's
Jul 13, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Sheriff: Cop Pointing Gun at Unarmed Man's Head 'Despicable'
Former Sgt. Janak Amin has been fired, arrested; colleagues reported incident in Tampa
- A former 21-year veteran of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office in Florida is now facing charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after being accused by his colleagues of pointing a gun at the head of an unresisting Black man already in custody. The
Tampa Bay Times
10 Top US Cities
May 20, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
10 Top US Cities for Staycations
Being stuck close to home during the pandemic doesn't mean you can't take a break from it all
- Even, or maybe especially, amid a pandemic, thoughts of vacation are bubbling up—and the idea of a "staycation" is looking more likely for most of us. WalletHub decided to figure out which US cities are the most appealing for those remaining close to home, looking at more than...
Alleged Stay-at-Home Scofflaw
in Tampa Is Familiar Face
Apr 21, 2020 5:05 AM CDT
Alleged Stay-at-Home Scofflaw in Tampa Is Familiar Face
New Buccaneer Tom Brady busted for working out in local park shut down due to coronavirus: mayor
- It's weird enough seeing the words "the Buccaneers' Tom Brady." It must've been even weirder for the city employee who reportedly stumbled upon the former Patriot working out in a Florida park to have to tell him the park was closed due to the coronavirus and...
They'd Been Fighting. But a
Stressful Shift Brought 'Love'
Apr 16, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
They'd Been Fighting. But a Stressful Shift Brought 'Love'
Photo of nurse couple shared around the world
- Between surgeries one stressful morning, Ben Cayer and Mindy Brock—husband and wife, and fellow nurse anesthetists—peered through layers of protective gear and locked eyes. It was a lovers' gaze in the most unlikely situation. A co-worker was there to snap a picture. Now the image, shared on social...
Restaurant Needed a Rescue.
It Had One Bottle of Pappy
Apr 8, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Restaurant Needed a Rescue. It Had One Bottle of Pappy
And someone paid much more than it is worth
- Like many restaurants, the coronavirus brought financial hardship to Tampa Bay's Datz restaurant chain, which went from a staff of 400 to 27 as it transitioned to takeout and delivery only. But it got some relief this week when a couple paid $40,000 for a single bottle of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.